flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
No one with etorque has actually looked under the fuse box to see if it’s just empty space or if they used the space to put something else related to eTorque, but as the poster after you said, we can guarantee you will not find a small auxiliary battery there, or the eTorque battery for that matter, because the eTorque Lithium battery is next to the gas tank on the drivers side and it has its own liquid cooling and skid plate.

Here is a schematic of where the battery is located, the battery being number 3, with #1 being the Motor/Generator Unit and #2 being the orange 48v positive and negative cables going between the PPU and the MGU:
1691B225-8534-4267-86E0-C98E49BB4C1A.png

Here is a photo of it under the jeep:
F3CC99E8-E93B-4801-B9AC-7F552CD0A73F.jpeg

Here is the battery (called a Power Pack Unit) out of the Jeep:
6F5C56B6-3B73-4E50-BC84-D85ADD0972DB.jpeg
76C5D24A-CC84-4395-B685-85175E4B6CA4.jpeg
A9F054CF-3F79-4DA8-BC4F-680A59DCE8AB.jpeg

The PPU includes a 3kW DC to DC converter used to power all accessories during a Start/Stop event and to charge the conventional Lead Acid battery whenever the engine is running.

And finally, here is a photo of the undercarriage of a Jeep without eTorque, where you can see the empty space beside the gas tank where Jeep engineers chose to place the PPU on eTorque Jeeps:
81131AD3-6832-407D-BFF6-0AFC072D64D9.jpeg

I hope this helps!

All images taken from EBay and Google Images.
Unfortunately, my Jeep hasn't arrived yet, or I would have just looked at it myself, but the pics are extremely helpful. Much appreciated.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
No one with etorque has actually looked under the fuse box to see if it’s just empty space or if they used the space to put something else related to eTorque, but as the poster after you said, we can guarantee you will not find a small auxiliary battery there, or the eTorque battery for that matter, because the eTorque Lithium battery is next to the gas tank
I've got the 2.0 with bsg, and there's a small battery box that unbolts from below and behind the fender liner. It's empty.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 2L etorque and I am interested in using the 48v battery to power the winch to avoid any high elevation off roading issues.

Can anyone recommend or comment on the pros cons of using the 48v for the winch or would a dual Genesis battery setup be better or the same as one 12v battery.

I like the idea of having an extra full size 12v battery for offroad either way but not sure if the winch is better to hook up to the 48v or the 12v aux dual.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have the 2L etorque and I am interested in using the 48v battery to power the winch to avoid any high elevation off roading issues.

Can anyone recommend or comment on the pros cons of using the 48v for the winch or would a dual Genesis battery setup be better or the same as one 12v battery.

I like the idea of having an extra full size 12v battery for offroad either way but not sure if the winch is better to hook up to the 48v or the 12v aux dual.
I'm not sure anyone has done that yet, but I don't see why it isn't possible.

Have you found a 48V winch with a high enough rating? If not, you'll need to add your own 48V DC to 24V or 12V DC converter.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

What high elevation issues are you worried about? I have never had a problem running the engine and winching at elevation. I winched a couple of times at nearly 12,000'. You can get a tazer or even bicycle cable to increase the throttle to raise revs of the engine if needed.

There is a thread somewhere of a guy taping into it to run accessories like a portable refrigerator, but the work seems to outweigh the benefit.

RubyRecon

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I freaked out after I bought my 2020JLUR Recon with the 2.0 turbo etorque when I found out it was discontinued for 2021. I am still trying to verify the 8/80,000 E Torque warranty with my dealer. Yes, the 48 volt battery and MGU are expensive to replace. But at 8/80k how can you complain?
I have gotten over 20 MPG on long trips. Even when I installed the Mopar lift and 37s.
I actually really like everything about this Jeep.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What high elevation issues are you worried about? I have never had a problem running the engine and winching at elevation. I winched a couple of times at nearly 12,000'. You can get a tazer or even bicycle cable to increase the throttle to raise revs of the engine if needed.

There is a thread somewhere of a guy taping into it to run accessories like a portable refrigerator, but the work seems to outweigh the benefit.
Nothing I have experienced. Just things I read about some isolated issues at high elevation running in Low gear for a long time or using the winch. Im not sure, just asking. I want an extra 12V aux battery either.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
all the e torque parta are covered under emmisions equipment warranty which is federally mandated for 8 years.
That’s incorrect, not all it’s parts are covered. eTorque’s cooling system is not covered by the federal warranty.

Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
That’s incorrect, not all it’s parts are covered. eTorque’s cooling system is not covered by the federal warranty.
Lol, OK sorry I didnt break it down part by part. The major components are covered. At least as far as I am concerned.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I bought a used 2020 3.6 to avoid it.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2018 torque has cooling pumps and hoses covered, has it changed ?
No I don’t think it has changed, I think it’s still all covered. The entire BSG and PPU and all the components that make those systems function should be covered. So I would assume that includes all the high voltage cables and the cooling lines and pumps and reservoirs and other miscellaneous parts. So I’m not sure why that other member claims that none of that stuff is covered. I’d like to see some proof that they’re not covered.

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
Happy so far with my etorque. Drove the 2.0 turbo and the etorque - seat of the pants said get the etorque. Driving practice is to turn off the ESS on starting the Jeep.
Sponsored