Thoughts on ETorque long-term?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have the 2.0 etorque in my 2020 Recon. ESS is so smooth I never turn it off. The only potential negative I’ve seen is there are several instances where some owners have experienced charging problems when off-roading at low speeds for prolonged periods at high altitude. I have not experienced that however...
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have the 2.0 etorque in my 2020 Recon. ESS is so smooth I never turn it off. The only potential negative I’ve seen is there are several instances where some owners have experienced charging problems when off-roading at low speeds for prolonged periods at high altitude. I have not experienced that however...
While I haven't ever had this issue while off-road, I have seen the same low voltage warning message when I spooled my winch the first time. I suspect that the dc-dc converter can't keep up with the high demand on the 12V battery, probably due to overheating. This should be a fixable problem, but it doesn't seem to happen enough to get much attention.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
While I haven't ever had this issue while off-road, I have seen the same low voltage warning message when I spooled my winch the first time. I suspect that the dc-dc converter can't keep up with the high demand on the 12V battery, probably due to overheating. This should be a fixable problem, but it doesn't seem to happen enough to get much attention.
I believe Tazer and Superchips devices have "winch mode" which raises the idle while winchingfor this reason.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I believe Tazer and Superchips devices have "winch mode" which raises the idle while winchingfor this reason.
I've looked into that, but if the issue is truly the dc-dc converter like I suspect then the higher idle speed won't help. The issue would be between the 48V battery & 12V battery.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
ETorque has a generator instead of an alternator. Idle speed shouldn't affect anything.

Even if it had an alternator, alternators are affected by electrical load, not engine rpm.

Capture.PNG

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
As stated earlier, the eTorque system is covered by an 8year/80k mile warranty.

The ESS on the eTorque is so smooth that my passengers don’t even notice the engine stopping and starting.

I have also not heard anyone having major issues with eTorque as of yet.

I’m surprised to hear that spooling the winch caused a low battery notification, seeing as the 48v Power Pack Unit’s DC-DC converter is rated at 3kW. Going with the 12v nominal voltage of the Lead Acid battery, that would give us 250 Amps of continuous current, and 214 Amps of charging current at 14v. So for all intents and purposes, it can be rated as a 214 Amp “alternator.” Most regular wrangler alternators are 180amps I believe and the tow package upgrades that to a 220amp alternator, if I’m not mistaken. So the DC-DC converter in eTorque vehicles is about as “good” as the tow package alternator.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I imagine long term there will be an eTorque delete option. There is not an emissions test that checks to ensure you have this so deleting it could be an option. I wanted the 3.6 and had to get the eTorque for 2021. I have not had a problem with it and have been pleasantly surprised. The start/stop is much smoother with the eTorque than without. It is very seamless. I hated it on my wife's 3.6 Grand Cherokee.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I imagine long term there will be an eTorque delete option. There is not an emissions test that checks to ensure you have this so deleting it could be an option. I wanted the 3.6 and had to get the eTorque for 2021. I have not had a problem with it and have been pleasantly surprised. The start/stop is much smoother with the eTorque than without. It is very seamless. I hated it on my wife's 3.6 Grand Cherokee.
This is the story I hear over and over with eTorque: initial hesitation gets replaced by pleasant surprise.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
The eTorque is primarily why I decided to go with the 2.0L. Maybe it's a reliable, durable system, but I'm an old guy and suspicious of new tech/complexity w/o a proven record.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
My biggest complaint with eTorque is that the BSG is sized based off of how much torque it takes to start the engine. I know the 2.0 doesn't need more than 70 lb.ft. of torque to get it started, but I would really like to have the 130 lb.ft. BSG that was used in the HEMI.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
My biggest complaint with eTorque is that the BSG is sized based off of how much torque it takes to start the engine. I know the 2.0 doesn't need more than 70 lb.ft. of torque to get it started, but I would really like to have the 130 lb.ft. BSG that was used in the HEMI.
That's not the torque rating to start the motor. That's to help move the vehicle. The 130lb.ft version on the hemi is in the Ram pickups which are much heavier

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
That's not the torque rating to start the motor. That's to help move the vehicle. The 130lb.ft version on the hemi is in the Ram pickups which are much heavier
So then why does the 3.6 get a 90 lb.ft. BSG in both the Ram and Jeep?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sadly, eTorque is a good example of lack of marketing.

Without proper marketing, the manufacturer fails to shape consumers’ opinion about a product. Leaving it to individuals to come up with their own theories.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
So then why does the 3.6 get a 90 lb.ft. BSG in both the Ram and Jeep?
I can't say for sure. Possibly the 3.6 makes a little less low end torque than the 2.0t so it uses more assist or, even more likely, a cost savings using the same bsg unit among more vehicles with a common engine. The bsg is what makes the etorque a "mild hybrid". It helps out at low rpms (I think below 1800).
Think about it, it doesn't take 90ft.lbs of torque to turn over a healthy 3.6. I can turn over a 3.6 with a 1/" drive ratchet and with the smaller pulley than the crank, the bsg has a form a gear reduction. And for ess where the pcm knows exactly what position the crank is and which cylinder to fire making restarts much easier. It doesn't need a full rotation or more to synchronize and start. People worried about the starter on non-etorque engines always over look that.
Not trying to argue, just sharing my opinion. I could be wrong LOL

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP,

I don’t see and issue with the etorque system per se. It is “complicated” when one considers the cooling lines/etc for the battery pack. But, the 8 year warranty really helps. I would suggest that if you keep a vehicle “forever”, you likely should be prepared to spend money beyond year 8 replacing that big battery. Last I read, the battery is about $1500-ish (I think). If you plan to make this a 20-year vehicle, replacement cost is likely a non-issue......
Sponsored