Thoughts on ETorque long-term?

dawgvet

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Silverado
Ben thinking about buying a JLUR and I tend to keep vehicles forever. My main concern is long term durability, and I’m concerned about the eTorque setup on the 3.6L with the automatic tranny. I called the dealership and a new ETorque alternator is $1000. Now we all know an alternator will need replaced eventually. Any other thoughts on cost of other parts of eTorque (battery, cooling, etc)?
Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i like the etorque. i usually turn it off when i'm out galavanting, but on my work commutes in stop and go i leave it on.

NOT a fan of the fact it has a little motorcycle battery for the ESS that can go bad, and you have to remove the passenger side fender to change it out. i have had no problems with mine however, so knock on wood.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Why not find yourself a used 2019 or 2020 without the e-Torque? Or just go with the 2020+ 2.0T which doesn’t have it either.
I’m with you though, I’ve driven a 3.6 with and without e-torque. You don’t need it. There isn’t much noticeable difference except maybe the engine restarts after Auto Start Stop are a little faster and smoother.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I tried to avoid it at first but I’ve been very happy with it. Time will tell I guess. The original ess system they had with the small battery was giving a lot of people issues and I haven’t heard of anyone having a problem with the etorque as of yet. And believe me I searched everywhere prior to purchasing. The etorque system is covered by a longer warranty I believe.

edit: I got a two door and wanted a v6 automatic so I had no other option

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Obviously the drawbacks are eTorque's complexity & uniqueness that I'm sure others in this thread will cover, but In theory eTorque should make a few things last longer:
  • Starter: ESS no longer uses the starter motor
  • Transmission: The BSG slows down the engine during upshifts, which lessens the shock load on the transmission & driveline
  • Engine: Doesn't have to work quite as hard when accelerating from a stop
  • Brakes: regenerative braking should prolong pad & rotor life slightly
Some forum members have even used the 48V battery to run a compressor or refrigerator.

Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Ben thinking about buying a JLUR and I tend to keep vehicles forever. My main concern is long term durability, and I’m concerned about the eTorque setup on the 3.6L with the automatic tranny. I called the dealership and a new ETorque alternator is $1000. Now we all know an alternator will need replaced eventually. Any other thoughts on cost of other parts of eTorque (battery, cooling, etc)?
There is no alternator with the e torque system. There is a belt start generator.
all the e torque parta are covered under emmisions equipment warranty which is federally mandated for 8 years. By then, there will be aftermarket options for cheaper, or remanufactured components.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i like the etorque. i usually turn it off when i'm out galavanting, but on my work commutes in stop and go i leave it on.

NOT a fan of the fact it has a little motorcycle battery for the ESS that can go bad, and you have to remove the passenger side fender to change it out. i have had no problems with mine however, so knock on wood.
E torque does not have a small aux battery. Yours is not an e torque system if you have that.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For all the bad rap eTorque gets on the forums, the reality is that eTorque owners haven’t been posting many problems.

Of course it is too early to tell how eTorque will hold up. But it seems to be off to a good start.

In 10 years, eTorque won’t be as exotic as it seems today. My guess is your local mechanic should be able to service it/repair it without issue.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
I
For all the bad rap eTorque gets on the forums, the reality is that eTorque owners haven’t been posting many problems.

Of course it is too early to tell how eTorque will hold up. But it seems to be off to a good start.

In 10 years, eTorque won’t be as exotic as it seems today. My guess is your local mechanic should be able to service it/repair it without issue.
I looked EVERYWHERE prior to buying my JL with etorque and couldn’t find anything negative in any forums. Even looked at the rams that had the same combo and couldn’t find anything negative. Fingers crossed lol

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
conjecturing that mine will break someday. everything breaks. eventually.

all that glitters in this world is sure to fade. away. again.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Obviously the drawbacks are eTorque's complexity & uniqueness that I'm sure others in this thread will cover, but In theory eTorque should make a few things last longer:
  • Starter: ESS no longer uses the starter motor
  • Transmission: The BSG slows down the engine during upshifts, which lessens the shock load on the transmission & driveline
  • Engine: Doesn't have to work quite as hard when accelerating from a stop
  • Brakes: regenerative braking should prolong pad & rotor life slightly
Some forum members have even used the 48V battery to run a compressor or refrigerator.
Good list! But.
You forgot the biggest pro of all. You don’t need to deal with that shitty aux battery that is the ticking time bomb under the fuse box which is a bitch to remove!!

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I
I looked EVERYWHERE prior to buying my JL with etorque and couldn’t find anything negative in any forums. Even looked at the rams that had the same combo and couldn’t find anything negative. Fingers crossed lol
Those who don’t have eTorque get freaked out by it; those who have it love it.

If I had to trust one or the other, I’d listen to those who have it.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
They have been using the Etorque on Rams for a few years with the 3.6 and I haven’t read any issues. In fact that combo has been listed on Ward’s top engine list the last 2 years.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should add I have e torque and have no complaints yet.
Sponsored