First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
The SB HD Pivot does allow for a tile, but you'll lose the use of the camera since it'll be pointed up.
chances are you will lose view with it regardless of how it is tilted. Someone should make sure they do their research before buying that one.
Sponsored

johndplm

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Hi Fellas,

Looking for feedback on the Warn frame mounted tire carrier?
Anybody got one?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't see anyone post about the Metalcloak Sportgate tire carrier yet, so thought I would. I've had it on for about 2 weeks carrying a 37x12.5R17 Patagonia on a 17x9 Vision Nemesis wheel with 4.5" BS. I drove about 450 miles yesterday and about 700 miles total in the last 2 weeks. Haven't seen the tire move or shake and there has been no sound from it.

According to Metalcloak, their Sportgate can support up to 150lbs. This tire carrier is similar to the Mopar or other hinge reinforcement carriers, it doesn't replace the hinges. Although there's no doubt the hinge replacement systems are stronger, I haven't seen any movement or ill affects using this carrier with a 37" tire.

It allows for the backup camera, but has no provision for a third brake light. I used an Oracle third brake light ring, which was pretty simple to install. If you go this route, don't cut the 3rd brake light wiring where Metalcloak tells you, wait until you mount your brake light and trim as needed.

Pros:
Easy to install, good instructions
Seems very strong and I really like the "M" cutout
The backup camera is in a very protective slot, allows for pretty good field of view. I can see the rash ring on my spare, but it doesn't interfere with the FOV
Adjustability: I still have a decent view out of the rear window. The spare is about ½" above the rear steal bumper cutout.
Maintains use of stock spare tire bumpers....I was able to get the spare sucked into the bumpers with good deformation, which is what's keeping the tire from rattling and moving.
Price: $420
Cons:
No 3rd brake light provision (I like the ring light better anyways).
Not a hinge replacement system
There's a slight misalignment with the latch and tailgate.....I will attempt to preload the hinges or align the latch at a later time. Tailgate closes fine, I can tell there's a slight drag on the latch.
Overall, it does what I need it to do at a very good price. I decided to try it as I like Metalcloak's products and it's features.

IMG_5240.jpg
IMG_5243.jpg
IMG_5244.jpg
IMG_5245.jpg
IMG_5247.jpg
IMG_5248.jpg

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Question about HD tire carriers. Is an aftermarket bumper required to fit a 35" or larger tire on a HD tire carrier? I have a 2018 JLU Sport with the factory plastic bumpers.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Question about HD tire carriers. Is an aftermarket bumper required to fit a 35" or larger tire on a HD tire carrier? I have a 2018 JLU Sport with the factory plastic bumpers.
Not necessarily, but it depends on a couple things: What you're looking for, and what you're looking to do.

Speaking in general- right now, there are two popular types of tire carriers: ones that mount to your tailgate hinges, or replace them altogether, and the traditional Swing out mounted to an HD rear bumper. Both types have their merits, and limitations.
Hinge mounted ones will usually be lighter overall (as they don't require a big, steel bumper), they are usually good to clear up to about a 40" tire, can be opened with one hand, and give better clearance as they're usually tighter to the rear body of the Jeep. But keep in mind, they are mounted to your tub, where your hinges attach- so that will be the limiting factor. If it's using factory hinges, or not well engineered, and you're running heavy tires and wheels and doing a lot of off roading, the Carrier can eventually warp your tailgate from all the stress of bouncing around on the trail. If you daily drive a lot, that spare/ carrier will also take the brunt of an impact from a larger vehicle in a rear end collision, and could end up damaging your Jeep additionally.
With the traditional bumper and swing out tire carrier, You get the tire onto a bumper mounted swing out, so you're taking most of the stress off of the tailgate and the body tub of the Jeep, and placing it onto the frame mounted bumper. They are usually more adaptable, too, so if you're looking for a rack, or a hilift jack mount, etc, then that will offer more options usually. The addition of a HD steel bumper may also offer some additional protection for the rear of your Jeep as well. That said,The bumper adds weight and cost, as well as additional install and assembly time. Before, all of your stress was spread across the hinge mounting points, but now it's all focused on the one pivot point that attaches the bumper/ swing out. Most of the time those are engineered and over-engineered to take the stress, but I've had friends (older Jeeps they built and use as borderline buggies) and they've slid/ backed/ or otherwise bashed their (older) swing out's so hard it sheered the pivot off the bumper, or took out the handle and the latch had to be fully replaced. With this set up, the tire also sits out a bit farther, so it can potentially reduce clearance, and, it will be an extra step to access the tailgate, but some of these now have mechanism that attache to the tailgate and allow you to open the swing out with the tailgate.

I'm going through a similar decision process as you, but with 37's being the eventual goal. I've read up on both styles and models and I'm honestly not sure what I will go with. I have my favorites for each, but it will be a bit before I have to make a decision.

Sponsored

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going through a similar decision process as you, but with 37's being the eventual goal. I've read up on both styles and models and I'm honestly not sure what I will go with. I have my favorites for each, but it will be a bit before I have to make a decision.
Yeah I'm in a similar position, getting ready to buy a lift, rims, tires, etc... and bumpers didn't quite fit into this stage of my build. I can always throw my tire in the back till I get bumpers because I keep my rear seats down all the time anyway. Just haven't decided what type of tire carrier I want to go with.

Last edited:

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
Wavian Nato Spec. There are also knock off Nato spec cans, just make sure the seam is flush or recessed, some are not.

AdvEddie

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Rubicon EcoDiesel -15 Ram 2500 Cummins Mega
After reading through this whole thread it looks like noon every fulfilled the promise of the title? A frame mounted carrier that would work with the factory steel bumper?

Seems like a gap in the market to provide a frame mounted swing out to keep the investment in the factory steel bumper but get the benefits of shifting the weight to stronger areas of the vehicle.

Shack

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've ordered the Smittybilt XRC Gen2 rear bumper with hopes that either the existing frame mounted xrc gen2 tire carrier will bolt on, or they are working on a JL version. I just sent Smittybilt an email looking for an answer on that question, we'll see if they respond... I figured worse case I can buy a Poison Spyder or some other brand JL frame mount and do some minor modification to the Smittybilt bumper.

EDIT: Very impressed with the timely 2 hours I got a response from Smittybilt, xrc tire carrier coming within a couple months.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I figured worse case I can buy a Poison Spyder or some other brand JL frame mount and do some minor modification to the Smittybilt.
Just to clarify for anyone using this thread as a reference, the Poison Spyder tire carrier pictured in this thread (and on their website) is NOT the JL model. The JL model still ties into the frame, but the “arm” that ties into the rear frame cross bar doesn’t exist. Instead, the JL model has a steel plate that extends toward the end of the bumper and bolts onto an additional 4 large studs that are built into the back of the Poison Spyder Bruizer and Crawler bumpers. You wouldn’t be able to use the Poison Spyder carrier with any other aftermarket (or OEM) rear bumper without significant modification. Watch the install video on YouTube if you need help visualizing it. I love my Poison Spyder tire carrier BTW....

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread 48B94D2C-9702-4B48-BA55-DFE9C018C21C

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The carrier from a functional stand point is probably the best on the market. The hinge system and build quality are top notch. The negatives are there are areas you cant reach with paint so there will be some rust on the inside. Also, where the hinge mounts through the gate there is nothing that covers the gaps left by the stock hinges. You can see that in that in my photos. Would I get it again? Yes, because it is rock solid with no rattles. The only other that I might look at would be from rusty's off road. Issue with Rusty's is if you are going with a pretty heavy tire/wheel combo you will need to drill some holes in your gate.
Puckn, how do you still feel about your motobilt carrier/reinforcement? Are you still in love with it? I am stepping up to 38s and have been trying to sort out how I want to carry the spare. I love motobilt's quality, but the gaps by the hinges are kind of a concern.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Puckn, how do you still feel about your motobilt carrier/reinforcement? Are you still in love with it? I am stepping up to 38s and have been trying to sort out how I want to carry the spare. I love motobilt's quality, but the gaps by the hinges are kind of a concern.
Still rock solid and have not had any issues. I would agree that the gaps by the hinges could use some kind of plugs. I don't think it would be to difficult to do. One thing I did but would not do now is powder coating. I would just use a rattle can on it so it's easier to touch up.

Shack

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yep they are calling it the gwn3. Haven't ordered it yet but will probably do so in the next month.

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR 24 VW Tiguan Rline 20+21 Tacoma TRD
So I have a question for those with the Rusty's unit. If you did drill the holes for the nut insert did you purchase the tool or come up with another way to install them??
Sponsored