Sponsored

What are the limitations of the stock spare tire carrier?

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
I'm putting a 2' lift kit on my 2020 Unlimited Altitude. I am keeping the stock 18" rims and bumping up the tire size to 33" probably 10.5 wide. I still want good drivability. I don't have the tire yet but with my spec, they should all be close in weight. I'm wondering what is the limit of the stock carrier? I'm hoping that a "mild" increase in tire only with the same stock rim will not pooch up the carrier.
Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The tailgate is good for 85 lbs or so. It is better/stronger than the JK one. It is made out of same magnesium alloy.

All that said, the factory tires on the Rubicon are 285/75-17 (33") so that is close to what you are going to do anyway.

johnlernert

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
No matter what year Wrangler you own, the engineers at Jeep designed that tire carrier specifically to hold the weight of a factory wheel and factory-sized tire. When you start putting bigger tires and wheels on your Jeep, the weight of that spare is going to start pushing the limits of what your factory tire carrier was designed to support. I'm curious if anybody is using either the single or twin portable ARB CKMP12 setups and if so, how do you like it - https://jeepequipment.com/portable-air-compressors-for-jeeps/ ?

jeep_wrangler__742078-620x465x70.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I run a 295/70/17 (33.3" tall) on 17x8.5 wheels and the weight is about 90lbs. The tire barely fits above that curved section on top of the bumper, there's about 1/4"' space there. The tailgate when open seems to hold it just fine without any sag, don't think I'd want anything heavier back there though.

Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
From what I have gathered, you would be fine with a 33” tire, if it was a 35” tire you would possibly need more reinforcement. I would suggest running it and if it develops a rattle over time then you would need to reinforce the hinges with reinforced tire carrier (that also replaces the hinges). Per Jeep the limit of the stock tailgate without reinforcement is 85 lbs and the hinges are the weak point.

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
People talk about weight a lot but forget about offset.

Weight is important, but that force is multiplied when you put on a low backspace wheel that sticks 2-3" further out from the gate than your stock wheel.

So if you're keeping your stock wheels, you have nothing to worry about.

Incidentally, that's also why I'm a fan of wheel spacers, you get the best of both worlds. You can get the driven wheels further out from the frame and control arms for clearance, but the spare still fits properly.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Likely just as important is the type of driving you will be doing.
If you are just doing some light off roading, or slow off roading like rock crawling, I'd not be too concerned with the stock carrier or perhaps with the mopar heavy duty one.
If you drive long distance over corrugations, metal fatigue will be real problem on the aluminum body mounts. In that case, I'd consider something that mounts to the frame. Maybe a swing out carrier.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I'm putting a 2' lift kit on my 2020 Unlimited Altitude. I am keeping the stock 18" rims and bumping up the tire size to 33" probably 10.5 wide. I still want good drivability. I don't have the tire yet but with my spec, they should all be close in weight. I'm wondering what is the limit of the stock carrier? I'm hoping that a "mild" increase in tire only with the same stock rim will not pooch up the carrier.
You'll be more than fine with this setup.

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I've seen 2 different sides of this. As stated above some people state that the tailgate is rated for 85 lbs, period, end of story. Others state that the tailgate is build to hold 85 lbs IN ADDITION to the stock wheel and tire setup. An additional question on this would be WHICH stock setup? I would assume that ALL JL tailgates were build the same. So does this mean that the 85 lbs weight is based on Rubi wheel and tire weights which I would assume are heavier than Sport or Sahara setups.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No matter what year Wrangler you own, the engineers at Jeep designed that tire carrier specifically to hold the weight of a factory wheel and factory-sized tire. When you start putting bigger tires and wheels on your Jeep, the weight of that spare is going to start pushing the limits of what your factory tire carrier was designed to support. I'm curious if anybody is using either the single or twin portable ARB CKMP12 setups and if so, how do you like it - https://jeepequipment.com/portable-air-compressors-for-jeeps/ ?

jeep_wrangler__742078-620x465x70.jpg
I had the ARB single air compressor in my JK, and with 33's it took about 10 minutes to air up all 4 tires. In the JL with 37's i went with the ARB dual compressor with the MORE mount. I didnt want it under the seat to get kicked by back seat passengers. Under the hood isn't an option in my opinion, it mounts too low and would get soaked.

IMG_0367.JPG

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Per Jeep the limit of the stock tailgate without reinforcement is 85 lbs and the hinges are the weak point.
I'm much more familiar with JKs, but traditionally the hinges held up fine and it was the tailgate rivets that broke. If you look at the Mopar JL tailgate reinforcement kit, it does not actually reinforce the hinges - just the tailgate. That said, I'd also be wary over 85 lbs.

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running stock upgraded Rubi rims with 35" Nitto RG's. I installed the Mopar reinforcement yesterday and was hoping to stick with the stock Rubi carrier. Unfortunately, the tire rubs on the bumper. Still opens and closes, but rubs. On one hand it's prob good from a stability standpoint, but the rubbing on open / close bothers me. I don't see an adjustment of any kind, has anyone found one? I bet I need 1/4" to clear and hate to have to go with an aftermarket carrier for that small amount.

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
I've seen 2 different sides of this. As stated above some people state that the tailgate is rated for 85 lbs, period, end of story. Others state that the tailgate is build to hold 85 lbs IN ADDITION to the stock wheel and tire setup.
My pedantic nature says they're both wrong. The owners manual refers to the 85 pound weight limit for the "spare tire mounted carrier". Which I take to mean the piece of black plastic that is bolted to the "rear swing gate" which is Jeep-corporate speak for the tailgate. The weight limit is in the Tire Mounted Carrier section, not the Rear Swing Gate section, which points to weight being limited by the plastic tire carrier, rather than the tailgate hinges.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My pedantic nature says they're both wrong. The owners manual refers to the 85 pound weight limit for the "spare tire mounted carrier". Which I take to mean the piece of black plastic that is bolted to the "rear swing gate" which is Jeep-corporate speak for the tailgate. The weight limit is in the Tire Mounted Carrier section, not the Rear Swing Gate section, which points to weight being limited by the plastic tire carrier, rather than the tailgate hinges.
I suspect that a dramatically over-weight spare will break the tailgate rivets and the hinge LONG before the plastic carrier. That plastic piece will probably hold 85 lbs X 2.

The weakest link has always been the rivets.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I also read 85lbs although I'm not sure how "official" that is other than a Jeep rep saying it at a car show or something (correct me if I'm wrong).

With that information I used the relocation bracket and the 315/70/17 K02's on stock Rubi wheels as my understanding that weighs in at 86lbs. Almost 25k miles on this setup and it's been fine.
Sponsored