First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Once again, I really wish there was a Manual option for the 2.0 Turbo. Absolute fun getting in gear and keeping it in
I'll say 2.0T, manual, 2 Dr Mojave because it was Teased, and we deserve it. Waaah!

Once again, I honestly wished there was a Manual option for the 2.0 Turbo. It's loads of fun staying in gear and keeping that Turbo spoolin.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
301-vote update

So far the 3.6 voters are more likely to choose eTorque than the 2.0 voters. This is definitely not what I expected.

3.6 etorque is 28% of the total 3.6 votes
2.0 etorque is 22% of the total 2.0 votes

Maybe this is due to the limited production years. Or possibly the 4xe stealing eTorque votes. I guess the 4xe is sort of like super eTorque...

Random thought, if eTorque came first, shouldn't 4xe have been called fTorque? The F is for... "fun".

FIAT designed small block Turbo engine for a 4x4 with oversided wheels - HARD pass!
Just for that, I'm adding the 3.0 GME to the poll.

@aldo98229 @Renegade @gato @BullMoose1776 @AFD feel free to change your votes.

Also 42% of the votes are for turbos.

Reactions: AFD

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
301-vote update

So far the 3.6 voters are more likely to choose eTorque than the 2.0 voters. This is definitely not what I expected.

3.6 etorque is 28% of the total 3.6 votes
2.0 etorque is 22% of the total 2.0 votes

Maybe this is due to the limited production years. or possibly the 4xe stealing eTorque votes. I guess the 4xe is sort of like super eTorque...

Random thought, if eTorque came first, shouldn't 4xe have been called fTorque? The F is for... "fun".

Just for that, I'm adding the 3.0 GME to the poll.

@aldo98229 @Renegade @gato @BullMoose1776 @AFD feel free to change your votes.

The most likely cause for your first point is that the 3.6 V6 eTorque exists currently, the 2.0T eTorque doesn't.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
The most likely cause for your first point is that the 3.6 V6 eTorque exists currently, the 2.0T eTorque doesn't.
I'm going to go with all the "tried & true" crowd suddenly had a change of heart when it comes to new technology.

Either that or people hate turbos more than mild hybrids.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to go with all the "tried & true" crowd suddenly had a change of heart when it comes to new technology.

Either that or people hate turbos more than mild hybrids.
Well, Americans have traditionally been more resistant to adopt turbos compared to buyers in other markets. Lower fuel prices and longer distances make American drivers prefer a more relaxed experience than the high-efficiency, edgier experience of turbos.

Add to that eTorque being a mystery to most, and the V6 has one thing against it; the 2.0T has two against.

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
301-vote update

as you said theres no criteria for voting - and just because more people vote does not make it logical - hell thats why we have the electoral college LOL

Yes i can work real hard and fast when i have 5 cups of coffee...but when that boost wears off....CRASH!

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Thanks for posting this. Just for fun what about a stripped down 2 door electric? 100 kwh battery in the trunk and a 200 to 300 hp engine upfront? I did cast an actual vote for the 3.0 GME.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Ask a simple question. Three years from now, which of these engines will still be offered on a Wrangler?

The 2.0 for sure (stand-alone, e-torque, 4xE). 392 gone. 3.6 gone. 3.0 diesel likely gone.

And the high HP engine will be the 3.0L GME-T6.

That is all you need to know.
In three years the poll would have the 4xe and all-electric. I agree the 392 will be gone as will the diesel. I give the 3.6 V6 a 50% chance of being offered, although there is only a 10% chance of that.

The inline 6 will never make it to production.

I plan to simply convert my 3.6 manual to BEV once axial flux motors are offered and battery technology is way better in 5 years. I like my Jeep and how I have built it out. Why start over.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Thanks for posting this. Just for fun what about a stripped down 2 door electric? 100 kwh battery in the trunk and a 200 to 300 hp engine upfront? I did cast an actual vote for the 3.0 GME.
I'm not sure exactly how serious Jeep is about a full-electric Wrangler. The more I read about the GME 3.0, the more it looks like it's going to actually be put in production in the JL.

I do want to see a properly executed off road electric vehicle, but Jeep's Magneto concept isn't it. They just slapped an electric motor in where the ICE used to be, transmission and all.

A lighter weight version of this is what I really want to see used. No transmission, transfer case, driveshafts... the entire underside of the body & under hood area can be optimized for battery placement (with skid plates of course).

Meritor-12Xe-800x400.jpg

In three years the poll would have the 4xe and all-electric.
Nah, I would have included all available JL motors/drivetrains, just as I've done here. The 2.2 diesel was discontinued in 2020 (?) and it was included.

Reactions: AFD

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I'm not sure exactly how serious Jeep is about a full-electric Wrangler. The more I read about the GME 3.0, the more it looks like it's going to actually be put in production in the JL.

I do want to see a properly executed off road electric vehicle, but Jeep's Magneto concept isn't it. They just slapped an electric motor in where the ICE used to be, transmission and all.

A lighter weight version of this is what I really want to see used. No transmission, transfer case, driveshafts... the entire underside of the body & under hood area can be optimized for battery placement (with skid plates of course).

Jeep Wrangler JL The great meaningless engine poll Meritor-12Xe-800x400

Nah, I would have included all available JL motors/drivetrains, just as I've done here. The 2.2 diesel was discontinued in 2020 (?) and it was included.
The great thing about the Magneto concept is how easy it would be to convert existing Wranglers. I would rather drop a single motor and batteries in my current vehicle and have the flexibility to update the motor or batteries as they continue to improve over time until they reach a maturity level, like cell phones where the advancements aren't great enough to warrant upgrading anymore.

I believe every BEV on the roads today (all Tesla's, Rivian's, VW's, etc) are all obsolete and the early adopters will see a massive loss in resale (no one should every buy a vehicle as an investment, unless it is a classic). Who would you pay for a vehicle that takes 40 minutes minimum to charge from 0-100% if you could get one that charges the same amount in 10 minutes? The current radial flux motors are 150-year old tech and will be replaced by axial flux which will have much more tunable characteristics and the batteries will get much better over the next 5 years, both in terms of charge capacity, charging speed and a reduction in weight.

I like the simplicity of a drop-in motor/axle, but it will severely limit modification and would you have to replace the entire assembly to do it. I realize the Jeep powertrain is the opposite of efficient, but most garage mechanics could pull the engine and swap in a motor and then drop the fuel tank and replace it with a battery pack. It would allow perfectly fine vehicles to continue to have a useful life and save people a lot of money in having to purchase a new vehicle. It will be good to have more options, just like the Jeep aftermarket.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
The great thing about the Magneto concept is how easy it would be to convert existing Wranglers. I would rather drop a single motor and batteries in my current vehicle and have the flexibility to update the motor or batteries as they continue to improve over time until they reach a maturity level, like cell phones where the advancements aren't great enough to warrant upgrading anymore.

I believe every BEV on the roads today (all Tesla's, Rivian's, VW's, etc) are all obsolete and the early adopters will see a massive loss in resale (no one should every buy a vehicle as an investment, unless it is a classic). Who would you pay for a vehicle that takes 40 minutes minimum to charge from 0-100% if you could get one that charges the same amount in 10 minutes? The current radial flux motors are 150-year old tech and will be replaced by axial flux which will have much more tunable characteristics and the batteries will get much better over the next 5 years, both in terms of charge capacity, charging speed and a reduction in weight.

I like the simplicity of a drop-in motor/axle, but it will severely limit modification and would you have to replace the entire assembly to do it. I realize the Jeep powertrain is the opposite of efficient, but most garage mechanics could pull the engine and swap in a motor and then drop the fuel tank and replace it with a battery pack. It would allow perfectly fine vehicles to continue to have a useful life and save people a lot of money in having to purchase a new vehicle. It will be good to have more options, just like the Jeep aftermarket.
Sure, as a retrofit the Magneto is an awesome concept. It would be awesome if every manufacturer offered an electric conversion kit for existing vehicles. But if Jeep were to sell this as a new vehicle? It's a little lazy and I think they can do better.

Regardless of resale, I am actually pretty impressed with Tesla's vehicle support. For example a 2006 Roadster had a 200 mile range and 248 HP, but through Tesla's upgrade program you can have 400 miles & 288 HP. Their other vehicles frequently get new features or upgrades through software. I even think there was a point in time where the Model S got faster from an OTA update. Some things they charge for (which sucks), but at least you have the option.

In comparison, how does Jeep support old vehicles? Something as relatively easy as adding keyless entry on a JL is left up to the aftermarket, parts suppliers, & dedicated forum members to figure out. Oh and then there was the whole 'Off Road Pages' debacle. Literally a piece of software that costs Jeep nothing after development that they decided to not give to certain model years... until enough people bitched. Off Road+ and the forward facing trail cam are other examples.
Sponsored