Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Sorry, I was only addressing the Wrangler engines.

Yes. There is a reason they don't put the 2.0 in the Gladiator. The reason is that FCA can not make enough of the 2.0T engine, and they have excess production capacity for the 3.6.

The Gladiator is competing with 15 year old engines on the Tacos and Chevy's, and it has a much larger EPA/DOT-defined footprint, so fuel economy is less critical there. So FCA kept in simple with a single gasoline engine there the 3.6, which, together with the 2.4L NA 4 are some of the least efficient and least technologically advanced engines in FCA's inventory.

On the Wrangler, FCA constantly re-jigger the engine options to balance the 2.0T supply with the need to meet specific fuel economy goals.

If you are implying that a 2.0T would not work on a Gladiator, you are mistaken. Ford's 2.3T works great on the Ranger, to give just one example.
The reason is likely that the tow rating would have to be reduced too far for potential buyers. The Gladiator design got pretty creative with the cooling, using the larger grill openings and higher wattage cooling fan from the JL 2.0. I suspect there wasn't enough cooling capacity to make a 2.0 work under towing loads.

Also I don't think the US truck market is ready to accept a 4-cylinder. Just look at the bitching on this forum about the 2.0, and Jeeps were 4-cylinder only for the first 24 years...

I really wish the Gladiator had a different front end design than the Wrangler (which could have allowed for better cooling). Jeep a few good looking retro front ends that the could have chosen.

jeep_xjk_pathkiller_wrangler_cherokee_6.jpg

Not my favorite, but with this sheet metal it could look like...

2018-bruiser-conversions-honcho-step-side.jpg

This.

98764da06beb20c-8fae-4b08-9e1f-befc1cfef426-IslfLW.jpg

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Sorry, I was only addressing the Wrangler engines.

Yes. There is a reason they don't put the 2.0 in the Gladiator. The reason is that FCA can not make enough of the 2.0T engine, and they have excess production capacity for the 3.6.

The Gladiator is competing with 15 year old engines on the Tacos and Chevy's, and it has a much larger EPA/DOT-defined footprint, so fuel economy is less critical there. So FCA kept in simple with a single gasoline engine there the 3.6, which, together with the 2.4L NA 4 are some of the least efficient and least technologically advanced engines in FCA's inventory.

On the Wrangler, FCA constantly re-jigger the engine options to balance the 2.0T supply with the need to meet specific fuel economy goals.

If you are implying that a 2.0T would not work on a Gladiator, you are mistaken. Ford's 2.3T works great on the Ranger, to give just one example.
No need to be sorry lol! And I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with the 2.0. Most who have it like it. Just like most who have the 3.6, 3.0 and 4xe setup like theirs too. We are lucky to have so many choices. I was just questioning your thinking the 3.6 will go away since it's 1 of only 2 motors in the Gladiator. Can't believe they'd pull it from the Wrangler and leave it in the Gladiator.

And the reason the 2.0 isn't in the Gladiator has been noted to do with towing. Not because the can't make them fast enough nor because the are "competing with 15 year old engines" lol.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...tor-wont-offer-2-0l-four-cylinder-engine.html

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
And the reason the 2.0 isn't in the Gladiator has been noted to do with towing. Not because the can't make them fast enough nor because the are "competing with 15 year old engines" lol.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news...tor-wont-offer-2-0l-four-cylinder-engine.html
This link quotes The Drive. Here is the original article: https://www.thedrive.com/news/25252...ator-wont-get-the-hybrid-four-cylinder-engine

The Drive reached out to Jeep with that very question, and a spokesman told us it comes down to towing and temperature management. "The 3.6-liter engine can handle the temperatures seen while towing," they said. While no knocks were mentioned against the smaller four-cylinder, it's easy to conclude that it simply wasn't created for the hauling capacity Jeep expects from the Gladiator.

Its worth noting that The Drive's "easily concluded" conclusion could possibly be incorrect.

Sponsored

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
The first 3.6 manual has a lot more votes than the second 3.6 manual. That's gotta mean something.
that means its almost in the lead overall if you total them!!! (as it should be....who the hell wants a turbo... .they sound cool until time to warm up oil temp in the winter and maintain all year long, buy premium gas, and are as attractive on resale as....well all the other 4 cylinder wranglers in history...ill gladly take the slightly less rated torque on paper over the maintenance, lag, inconsistent performance based on temperature, and points of failure)

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
that means its almost in the lead overall if you total them!!! (as it should be....who the hell wants a turbo... .they sound cool until time to warm up oil temp in the winter and maintain all year long, buy premium gas, and are as attractive on resale as....well all the other 4 cylinder wranglers in history)
KBB puts my 2018 2.0 resale about as much as I paid three years ago including the taxes. Any better and I would stop funding my 401K and just buy Jeeps.

Edit:
3.6 manual #1 & #2 are at 45 votes right now
2.0 no eTorque has 47
392 has 49

Almost in the lead = third place... of a poll that has no criteria of what to vote for.

Who the hell wants a turbo? About 75% of the write-in votes are angry I didn't include the GME 3.0 turbo.

Last edited:

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
This poll is worthless without the 5.7.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I went 4xe. Since we've had ours I've become a real fan. Originally wanting it just to get the 2.0 again in some form or fashion- having 470 torques is amazing.

Having over 20 mpg at the same time is likewise amazing.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
GME-T6. Otherwise even though boring, the 3.6 for 99.9% of people.

However, I'd buy the 392 before the 3.6 because I don't like boring.
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD