Tazer (Programmer) for the JL

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I noticed that a lot of people seem to be in that camp of keeping the fog lights on while the high beams are engaged? Why is that so popular? I realize that may sound like a stupid question to people who already own this vehicle, but please keep in mind that I am still awaiting delivery on mine... since May 25. I have no idea or real experience on how it behaves.

I printed out the manual today, I will take your suggestion and familiarize myself with it well, thank you.

Is it really killing as many batteries as what it sounds like from parasitic draw?

Why, in your opinion, is the two piece Tazer better than the mini?
It gives just a little more peripheral light, IMO. I've also never had a battery issue with the Tazer. I can't help but wonder if the funky 2 battery setup has something to do with it rather than the Tazer. But I'm just guessing. I use live features, so mine is always plugged in but has never drained the battery.

Advertisement

OldGuyNewJeep

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Is it really killing as many batteries as what it sounds like from parasitic draw?

The original release did have parasitic draw, but ZAuto fixed that eons ago. That said, its draw is not zero... nor is UConnect’s. Personally, I throw a tender on mine if I know I won’t drive it for a few days, or when I see the battery voltage hit 12.2 or below. (I have this installed under my hood: Battery Tender LCD Voltage Indicator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KE9A) Search the forum and you’ll find endless posts about AUX batteries going bad; a tender is highly recommended.

I like the two piece because it gives me the ability to unmarry and pull the Tazer without having to deal with the hard to reach secure gateway wires. I do this, for example, when I want to bring it inside to upgrade firmware

As for why fogs and high beams at the same time:

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Yeah I noticed that a lot of people seem to be in that camp of keeping the fog lights on while the high beams are engaged? Why is that so popular? I realize that may sound like a stupid question to people who already own this vehicle, but please keep in mind that I am still awaiting delivery on mine... since May 25. I have no idea or real experience on how it behaves.

I printed out the manual today, I will take your suggestion and familiarize myself with it well, thank you.

We live way out in the country here in Wyoming, and this is one of the feature we use every time we drive at night. Wildlife is abundant here! You don’t just see a few deer or antelope when you take a drive at night. It’s nothing for us to see 100 plus just on a trip into town. That’s about 10 times the number of vehicle that we’ll see on the trip. Just being able to have a little extra light with the high beams makes a big difference.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
It gives just a little more peripheral light, IMO. I've also never had a battery issue with the Tazer. I can't help but wonder if the funky 2 battery setup has something to do with it rather than the Tazer. But I'm just guessing. I use live features, so mine is always plugged in but has never drained the battery.
The 3.6l has two batteries? Or is it just specific trims?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.6l has two batteries? Or is it just specific trims?
There are 2 batteries for the ESS. There is a big one and a small one. The small one is buried under the big one.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
There are 2 batteries for the ESS. There is a big one and a small one. The small one is buried under the big one.
Which are in addition to the main 12v starting battery, or the count of two batteries include the main one?

Thanks for the knowledge!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which are in addition to the main 12v starting battery, or the count of two batteries include the main one?

Thanks for the knowledge!
No, it is the main 12v starting battery and the smaller one underneath it. I'm guessing the smaller one is about the size of an ATV or lawn tractor battery, but I've not actually laid eyes on one.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
No, it is the main 12v starting battery and the smaller one underneath it. I'm guessing the smaller one is about the size of an ATV or lawn tractor battery, but I've not actually laid eyes on one.
Thanks, wasn't aware of this. I wonder why the main 12v battery isn't enough to provide for the needs of the whole system, ess included.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, wasn't aware of this. I wonder why the main 12v battery isn't enough to provide for the needs of the whole system, ess included.
My understanding is that the small battery is there to provide power to accessories and such while the ESS has the engine stopped, freeing up the big one to devote full power to the restart. But I'm no electrician, so there are probably others here that can confirm or correct that.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
My understanding is that the small battery is there to provide power to accessories and such while the ESS has the engine stopped, freeing up the big one to devote full power to the restart. But I'm no electrician, so there are probably others here that can confirm or correct that.
Yeah, actually that makes sense.

1996cc

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JKUR
Yep. Just hold the ESS button down for a full 5 seconds and everything turns off.

1996cc

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JKUR
That’s not the question he asked. And the Tazer turns it ALL off, no matter what gear the T case is in. Brake lock rear diff, traction control, stability control, ABS, etc...

grandsrus

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Reinstalling my TAZER after delear service and it will NOT marry. Any words of advice? I am on 11.2.3 latest SW. It worked previously and i unmarried.

Advertisement

Tazer JL - Z Automotive

Advertisement