Tazer (Programmer) for the JL

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Are there any current known issues with the Tazer mini and the JL Wrangler? Looking at picking up one of these for my new Sahara. I looked at the seller's website for a known bug list but don't see anything mentioned.

Is it safe to assume that there are no longer any known bugs?

TIA

Advertisement

DanW

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 08 JKUR, 15 Ford Transit 350, 04 WJ 4.7, 17 Renegade, 99 Merc E430 S
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any current known issues with the Tazer mini and the JL Wrangler? Looking at picking up one of these for my new Sahara. I looked at the seller's website for a known bug list but don't see anything mentioned.

TIA
I have a regular Tazer and really have no issues with it at this point. I mainly use it to shut down the ESS, adjust for tire size, and keep fog lights on when the bright headlights are on. I also use it to reboot the Uconnect when it goes wonky. Fortunately, after the latest update, the Uconnect hasn't been requiring it. (knock on wood.) Works great!

Last edited:

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase

TIA
It really depends who you talk to. some have issues, some don't. Only issues I have with mine is if I leave it connected for more then a week my electrical system seems to go on a fritz. I've had anything from Uconnect constantly restarting to most recent I had the service ESS light come on(no issues with the system). I purchased this system for mainly tire size/TPMS sensors. so I really have no reason to keep it connected. I had left it connected this last time to utilize the constant ESS off and 2wd disconnect features. but after this last issue, I will only be using it for the "non-live" features and keeping it disconnected.

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It really depends who you talk to. some have issues, some don't. Only issues I have with mine is if I leave it connected for more then a week my electrical system seems to go on a fritz. I've had anything from Uconnect constantly restarting to most recent I had the service ESS light come on(no issues with the system). I purchased this system for mainly tire size/TPMS sensors. so I really have no reason to keep it connected. I had left it connected this last time to utilize the constant ESS off and 2wd disconnect features. but after this last issue, I will only be using it for the "non-live" features and keeping it disconnected.
I have the JL Mini. Personally, I think the directions suck. But you once you become familiar with navigating through the menu and understand what each function does, it’s not so bad. Just be sure to full reboot and sleep after you make changes.
Knock on wood... I have not had any issues leaving it connected.

Halstem1

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had a couple of small uconnect "things" that happened so I also just leave mine disconnected and use the non-live functions. Nothing major but the radio would remain black for a minute or 2 after starting or one time the reverse camera took a while to turn off after putting in drive. I don't really have a need for the live functions so I just remove and put in the glove box. If I ever have a situation I need it, I can just intall quick.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Hope to find a decent price from a Canadian retailer.

Regards!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The only problem I have is the light show randomly turns while driving. It usually happens when I am off roading. It very well could be that bouncing around, I hit the correct button combination on the steering wheel.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

TIA
I've used it a few years now, update it and really no big issues. If you keep it plugged in, the Uconnect won't update, if you use the app.

drvn

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase

TIA
I've had mine installed permanently for the last few weeks with no issues. I am using non live and live features. So far so good.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
I've used it a few years now, update it and really no big issues. If you keep it plugged in, the Uconnect won't update, if you use the app.
Can you manually update it? Do you even bother? Thanks for your comment

NCIC105

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Ive owned the Tazer Jl for over a year, no issues or concerns. I have updated as updates come out.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
I haven’t updated mine in about a year! Not exactly sure which firmware I have on it, but everything works just fine. I do use the live features, so since everything I use works I really see no need to update it every time a new firmware update is released.

Well worth purchasing. I believe it’s the best money I’ve spent on my Jeep!

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The only problem I have is the light show randomly turns while driving. It usually happens when I am off roading. It very well could be that bouncing around, I hit the correct button combination on the steering wheel.
That's pretty funny, though I do believe that turning the steering wheel sometimes causes random button pushes. Occasionally when I turn, the next radio station or next song in my Spotify queue starts for no reason.

OldGuyNewJeep

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

TIA
I’ve had my original two piece installed since 6/2018. It’s been very stable since 11.1.4 (now up to 11.2.3). I only use it for ESS, disabling TravelLink, TPMS, and keeping fogs on with brights. Zero problems.

RTFM carefully, and then read it again. Most common issues reported boil down to not following the sleep-cycle process after changing settings.

Personally, I like the two piece better than the mini. Jeep is gonna sit a while? Pullout the Tazer to eliminate parasitic draw.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
I’ve had my original two piece installed since 6/2018. It’s been very stable since 11.1.4 (now up to 11.2.3). I only use it for ESS, disabling TravelLink, TPMS, and keeping fogs on with brights. Zero problems.

RTFM carefully, and then read it again. Most common issues reported boil down to not following the sleep-cycle process after changing settings.

Personally, I like the two piece better than the mini. Jeep is gonna sit a while? Pullout the Tazer to eliminate parasitic draw.
Yeah I noticed that a lot of people seem to be in that camp of keeping the fog lights on while the high beams are engaged? Why is that so popular? I realize that may sound like a stupid question to people who already own this vehicle, but please keep in mind that I am still awaiting delivery on mine... since May 25. I have no idea or real experience on how it behaves.

I printed out the manual today, I will take your suggestion and familiarize myself with it well, thank you.

Is it really killing as many batteries as what it sounds like from parasitic draw?

Why, in your opinion, is the two piece Tazer better than the mini?

Advertisement

Diode Dynamics

Advertisement