Not open for further replies.

Joe Paul

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Are there any current known issues with the Tazer mini and the JL Wrangler? Looking at picking up one of these for my new Sahara. I looked at the seller's website for a known bug list but don't see anything mentioned.

Is it safe to assume that there are no longer any known bugs?

TIA
I've used it a few years now, update it and really no big issues. If you keep it plugged in, the Uconnect won't update, if you use the app.
Sponsored

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Are there any current known issues with the Tazer mini and the JL Wrangler? Looking at picking up one of these for my new Sahara. I looked at the seller's website for a known bug list but don't see anything mentioned.

TIA
I've had mine installed permanently for the last few weeks with no issues. I am using non live and live features. So far so good.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
I've used it a few years now, update it and really no big issues. If you keep it plugged in, the Uconnect won't update, if you use the app.
Can you manually update it? Do you even bother? Thanks for your comment

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Ive owned the Tazer Jl for over a year, no issues or concerns. I have updated as updates come out.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
I haven’t updated mine in about a year! Not exactly sure which firmware I have on it, but everything works just fine. I do use the live features, so since everything I use works I really see no need to update it every time a new firmware update is released.

Well worth purchasing. I believe it’s the best money I’ve spent on my Jeep!

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The only problem I have is the light show randomly turns while driving. It usually happens when I am off roading. It very well could be that bouncing around, I hit the correct button combination on the steering wheel.
That's pretty funny, though I do believe that turning the steering wheel sometimes causes random button pushes. Occasionally when I turn, the next radio station or next song in my Spotify queue starts for no reason.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

TIA
I’ve had my original two piece installed since 6/2018. It’s been very stable since 11.1.4 (now up to 11.2.3). I only use it for ESS, disabling TravelLink, TPMS, and keeping fogs on with brights. Zero problems.

RTFM carefully, and then read it again. Most common issues reported boil down to not following the sleep-cycle process after changing settings.

Personally, I like the two piece better than the mini. Jeep is gonna sit a while? Pullout the Tazer to eliminate parasitic draw.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
I’ve had my original two piece installed since 6/2018. It’s been very stable since 11.1.4 (now up to 11.2.3). I only use it for ESS, disabling TravelLink, TPMS, and keeping fogs on with brights. Zero problems.

RTFM carefully, and then read it again. Most common issues reported boil down to not following the sleep-cycle process after changing settings.

Personally, I like the two piece better than the mini. Jeep is gonna sit a while? Pullout the Tazer to eliminate parasitic draw.
Yeah I noticed that a lot of people seem to be in that camp of keeping the fog lights on while the high beams are engaged? Why is that so popular? I realize that may sound like a stupid question to people who already own this vehicle, but please keep in mind that I am still awaiting delivery on mine... since May 25. I have no idea or real experience on how it behaves.

I printed out the manual today, I will take your suggestion and familiarize myself with it well, thank you.

Is it really killing as many batteries as what it sounds like from parasitic draw?

Why, in your opinion, is the two piece Tazer better than the mini?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I noticed that a lot of people seem to be in that camp of keeping the fog lights on while the high beams are engaged? Why is that so popular? I realize that may sound like a stupid question to people who already own this vehicle, but please keep in mind that I am still awaiting delivery on mine... since May 25. I have no idea or real experience on how it behaves.

I printed out the manual today, I will take your suggestion and familiarize myself with it well, thank you.

Is it really killing as many batteries as what it sounds like from parasitic draw?

It gives just a little more peripheral light, IMO. I've also never had a battery issue with the Tazer. I can't help but wonder if the funky 2 battery setup has something to do with it rather than the Tazer. But I'm just guessing. I use live features, so mine is always plugged in but has never drained the battery.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

The original release did have parasitic draw, but ZAuto fixed that eons ago. That said, its draw is not zero... nor is UConnect’s. Personally, I throw a tender on mine if I know I won’t drive it for a few days, or when I see the battery voltage hit 12.2 or below. (I have this installed under my hood: Battery Tender LCD Voltage Indicator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KE9A) Search the forum and you’ll find endless posts about AUX batteries going bad; a tender is highly recommended.

I like the two piece because it gives me the ability to unmarry and pull the Tazer without having to deal with the hard to reach secure gateway wires. I do this, for example, when I want to bring it inside to upgrade firmware

As for why fogs and high beams at the same time:

Sponsored

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic

We live way out in the country here in Wyoming, and this is one of the feature we use every time we drive at night. Wildlife is abundant here! You don’t just see a few deer or antelope when you take a drive at night. It’s nothing for us to see 100 plus just on a trip into town. That’s about 10 times the number of vehicle that we’ll see on the trip. Just being able to have a little extra light with the high beams makes a big difference.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
It gives just a little more peripheral light, IMO. I've also never had a battery issue with the Tazer. I can't help but wonder if the funky 2 battery setup has something to do with it rather than the Tazer. But I'm just guessing. I use live features, so mine is always plugged in but has never drained the battery.
The 3.6l has two batteries? Or is it just specific trims?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.6l has two batteries? Or is it just specific trims?
There are 2 batteries for the ESS. There is a big one and a small one. The small one is buried under the big one.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
There are 2 batteries for the ESS. There is a big one and a small one. The small one is buried under the big one.
Which are in addition to the main 12v starting battery, or the count of two batteries include the main one?

Thanks for the knowledge!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which are in addition to the main 12v starting battery, or the count of two batteries include the main one?

Thanks for the knowledge!
No, it is the main 12v starting battery and the smaller one underneath it. I'm guessing the smaller one is about the size of an ATV or lawn tractor battery, but I've not actually laid eyes on one.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.