Sponsored

Tazer vs Flashcal vs other JL programmers

What programmer are you getting and why?

• Total voters

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
Will the Tazer or Flashcal work on an export model? I live in Japan and purchased the RHD model they sell here and I need a programmer. Previously I had a Flashcal for my JK and it worked for the export model. I'm wondering if it would be the same with the JL.
Tazer works with all models, we ship them around the world, some in Japan already.
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I just got 2020 Rubicon Diesel. What would be the most usefull programmer, tuner for me?
I would get the Tazer. This is from someone who has a TrailCal. I will never buy a Superchips product again.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
I'm selling my Flashcal For JL in case anyone is interested.

Deezus

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
After having use both of them in my Jeep JL , The flashcal for Jeep JL is better.
I found the taser mini cumbersome and difficult to use.
The flashcal has almost all the same features minus lightshow and works faster.
Also it's cheaper.
As of the latest update for flashcal for Jeep JL I can do everything like turn off my electric steering turn off my lockers delete my fad turn off the weather reports on my stereo.
Save your money and get the flashcal.

https://superchips.com/flashcal-jl-wrangler-gladiator/

Sponsored

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
After having use both of them in my Jeep JL , The flashcal for Jeep JL is better.
I found the taser mini cumbersome and difficult to use.
The flashcal has almost all the same features minus lightshow and works faster.
Also it's cheaper.
As of the latest update for flashcal for Jeep JL I can do everything like turn off my electric steering turn off my lockers delete my fad turn off the weather reports on my stereo.
Save your money and get the flashcal.

https://superchips.com/flashcal-jl-wrangler-gladiator/
I also have the used both and currently run the flash cal. I agree the flash cal is more elegant, less cumbersome and feels like more hardware value per dollar spent. However, the ESS function on the tazer is a game changer.
I really wish Superchips would incorporate that feature.

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
Disconnecting the ESS is pretty easy, and reversible easily. If flashcal can disable the ā€œauto stop/start error. Service nowā€ warning at startup, youā€™re golden. I donā€™t own flashcal yet, so I donā€™t know if anyone has tried that.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I also have the used both and currently run the flash cal. I agree the flash cal is more elegant, less cumbersome and feels like more hardware value per dollar spent. However, the ESS function on the tazer is a game changer.
I really wish Superchips would incorporate that feature.
I did not have the same experience with the Trailcal. Half the features didn't work, it would crash fairly often, and Superchips tech support was terrible. They started removing the features from their website and claimed that the Trailcal never supported them. They weren't able to address a single issue.

Maybe the Flashcal works better, but Superchips tech support is terrible. Also, you don't get the live features with the Flashcal. I know I like to be able to disengage my sway bar and engage my lockers in 2H/4H. There are other live features, but I use these two the most.

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
In CA we have to smog check our vehicles every two years, do you know if these programs can be left in during a smog check? The smog check people plug into the OBD-II port.

Sponsored

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Just upgraded from 2018 JLUR to a 2020 JLUR.
Went with Tazer JL this time. (v11.1.4) Feature rich, works flawlessly.

bgj1010

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Systems Engineer - Manager
What are you getting? What are the pros/cons/differences of each? I believe this is the first time tazer has this for a wrangler and flashcal has done it for years. What else?
I got the Flashcal F5 because I trust the Superchip name and company, first off, and more importantly, I like that the flashcal is a handheld unit that you plug in when you want to use specific features and it's easy to use. I would rather that than navigate through the cruise control/menu buttons. Both this and the Tazer do the same things, just a little differently. Almost the same price, just a matter of preference...
It works as intended for adjusting tire size and gears, as well as turning off one touch lane change, seat belt chime and telling the PCM I have LEDs rather than incandescents. When I air up or winch, I bump the idle up from 700 to 1000 to give the alternator a little assist, and sometimes on the trails I go up to just let her idle around and up and over things.

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
I got the Flashcal F5 because I trust the Superchip name and company, first off, and more importantly, I like that the flashcal is a handheld unit that you plug in when you want to use specific features and it's easy to use. I would rather that than navigate through the cruise control/menu buttons. Both this and the Tazer do the same things, just a little differently. Almost the same price, just a matter of preference...
It works as intended for adjusting tire size and gears, as well as turning off one touch lane change, seat belt chime and telling the PCM I have LEDs rather than incandescents. When I air up or winch, I bump the idle up from 700 to 1000 to give the alternator a little assist, and sometimes on the trails I go up to just let her idle around and up and over things.
Fair enough, the Flashcal is a good product, but they donā€™t exactly do the same things.
The live feature list of the Tazer is far more than the Flashcal and itā€™s always ready to use. Thatā€™s where the Tazer shines. Can you even leave the Flashcal plugged in indefinitely, to make it easier to get to the live features? Or does it stay on?

1Greywolf

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu rubicon, 2012 jeek jk
Fair enough, the Flashcal is a good product, but they donā€™t exactly do the same things.
The live feature list of the Tazer is far more than the Flashcal and itā€™s always ready to use. Thatā€™s where the Tazer shines. Can you even leave the Flashcal plugged in indefinitely, to make it easier to get to the live features? Or does it stay on?
Joe, will zautomotive be offering a ny discount on the tazer mini jl for forum members? after reviewing all of the pros and cons, I have decided to purchase a tazer mini for my new 2020JLU.
Thank You for your support.
Jose

sherif JKU

First Name
sherif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Now I bought up aev liftkit which comes with procal but installing it is a headache while also I see unmarry option in the tezar which in addition to the several options given in tezar is a plus for tezar.. But just wanted to confirm if this unmarry means that the dealership won't know about any update if I unmarry before my service in the dealership... Also I may ask the ones that had tezar for more than 6 month to give thier reviews as well... Thanks
Sponsored