Roll Bar Padding !

JIMBO !
Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I have used the factory stop and put a cut piece of a mountain bike rubber grip inside to add length.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I'm of the the thinking that Using longer rear gate bump stops or extending the factory ones should be used only as a temporary measure. While not as much of an issue if you're running a stock size tire, however as you start stepping up in tire size the weight increases as well adding additional stress to the rear gate.

Speaking from my situation I started with a Rough Country spare tire relocation bracket with Daystar bump stops to accommodate my 37" spare because what I wanted was not available. It worked adequately but I went into it knowing it wasn't a long term solution. Last year I changed things up with the Mopar reinforcement bracket & Teraflex adjustable tire carrier. For me, this change allowed me to move the spare in nice and tight to the body when previously it was previously it was twice as far (space between body & sidewall). The combination of the two upgrades has reduced the stress that roughly 101lbs of rim & tire put on the rear gate.

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

Crownline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I'm of the the thinking that Using longer rear gate bump stops or extending the factory ones should be used only as a temporary measure. While not as much of an issue if you're running a stock size tire, however as you start stepping up in tire size the weight increases as well adding additional stress to the rear gate.

Speaking from my situation I started with a Rough Country spare tire relocation bracket with Daystar bump stops to accommodate my 37" spare because what I wanted was not available. It worked adequately but I went into it knowing it wasn't a long term solution. Last year I changed things up with the Mopar reinforcement bracket & Teraflex adjustable tire carrier. For me, this change allowed me to move the spare in nice and tight to the body when previously it was previously it was twice as far (space between body & sidewall). The combination of the two upgrades has reduced the stress that roughly 101lbs of rim & tire put on the rear gate.
Do you have backup sensors? Trying to figure out the best setup for our 2020 JLUR with backup sensors. Currently have a Rough Country plate, factory tire bracket, and Mopar tire enforcement kit, but have lots of movement when on subdivision streets going low speeds. Have tried bump stops and they don't seem to make a difference.

Crownline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Can somebody give me some reassurance here— or the opposite?

I may not need to worry about this, but even with the PVC bump stop extensions, which are extremely tight to the tire to the point where they can’t be removed without first removing the spare, I notice the tire moving when I hit a pot hole or bump in the road during my daily drive. And, unfortunately, Indianapolis streets are far from perfect, so it happens frequently. Should I be concerned? I have the tire (35/12.5/18 Ridge Grappler) connected to the Jeep using the rough country relocation bracket. I don’t ever remember looking to see if the stock tore had some play when hitting pot holes/bumps. Is it OK to move a little? From the way the PVC is, it’s almost like it’s bouncing the opposite direction as it would if there wasn’t any PVC aim the rubber bump stops.

Thanks for your help.
Did you ever find a solution to your tire bouncing? Having the same issues. We tried bump stops and it doesn't help.

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I have installed the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System along with the RC Spare Tire Relocation Bracket and the 2 mate up and are solid as a rock. This allowed me to mount my 37x13.50 to the tailgate safely. The set-up is solid as a rock and has 0 rattles, BUT there is some slight movement if I go over a large bump. My rubber bump stops are about 2" shy of touching the tire, so I'm trying to find something to provide a solid bumper for the tire to rest against. I know the Mopar relocation kit comes with new stops, but you can't buy those individually to my knowledge. I bought a set of the daystar extended bumpstops but they are so soft it's pointless. I did not trim them at all and just let them compress as I tightened the tire in place, but they literally are as soft as a nerf football. I'm sure different backspacing will vary in terms of how long those need to be to provide a solid backing, but does anyone have any ideas they can share?
one thing to consider is the strength of the reinforcement: if you look carefully, the MOPAR version is simply attached to the tailgate: IMHO, doesn't do much for the total overall integrity of the rest of the associated parts (hinges & latches). especially if I was going to a 37, I'd look more towards the rugged ridge spartan tailgate reinforcement that specifically reinforces the hinges (and thus takes forces away from tailgate and latches, as well). After comparing several, I got the RR for my daughter, even though she's only going 33's: better safe than sorry. YAMMV

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Did you ever find a solution to your tire bouncing? Having the same issues. We tried bump stops and it doesn't help.
Yes! New rear bumper and tire carrier from LOD Off-road. Couldn’t stop it without that change and was afraid I was damaging the vehicle otherwise.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have backup sensors? Trying to figure out the best setup for our 2020 JLUR with backup sensors. Currently have a Rough Country plate, factory tire bracket, and Mopar tire enforcement kit, but have lots of movement when on subdivision streets going low speeds. Have tried bump stops and they don't seem to make a difference.

Yes I have back up sensors in my bumper and I've never had an issue with the spare tripping the warning sensor.

Even back when I was running the Rough Country relocation bracket with the factory tire carrier and a 37" tire hanging off the back. Note though that my rims are Fuel Trophy that are 17x8.5 with -6 offset (or 4.5" of backspacing).

Crownline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Yes I have back up sensors in my bumper and I've never had an issue with the spare tripping the warning sensor.

Even back when I was running the Rough Country relocation bracket with the factory tire carrier and a 37" tire hanging off the back. Note though that my rims are Fuel Trophy that are 17x8.5 with -6 offset (or 4.5" of backspacing).
Any issue with the tire bouncing or jiggling and the gate making noise (with the RC bracket and factory tire carrier)?

And now what bracket are you using?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any issue with the tire bouncing or jiggling and the gate making noise (with the RC bracket and factory tire carrier)?

And now what bracket are you using?
Yeah the entire setup would shake and rattle pretty bad rolling down the road with every bump, pot hole or expansion joint. That's the nature of the beast when you're hanging that much weight off the rear gate. In my situation, I sacrificed for a year until more and better options came to market.

My current set up is the Mopar reinforcement bracket with Teraflex adjustable tire carrier. While I won't proclaim it to the best solution out there, it's a big step up from what I was running and has allowed me to run the spare tighter to the rear gate reducing some stress from the addtional weight (I think my rim/tire combo is about 110lbs). While I do get some shake and rattle with this set up, I only notice it under the worst road conditions.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Didn’t see it mentioned in here yet, but I installed some Energy Suspension bumpstops today. Not the cheapest solution but much better quality compared to the Daystars I was using on my old JK. Ordered mine off Amazon. Part # 2.9105G

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Bumpstops? pic 3
Using these based off your recommendation. I trimmed mine down a tad and also trimmed the insert part to get them on easier!

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
Using these based off your recommendation. I trimmed mine down a tad and also trimmed the insert part to get them on easier!
Still working out ok? I'm on Amazon and they only list these for the JKs, but should be same for JL right?
I only have Rubicon size tires on my Sahara but the Pro Comps stick out 2" compared to stock Wheel. I think I should be good with just these and stock carrier.

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Still working out ok? I'm on Amazon and they only list these for the JKs, but should be same for JL right?
I only have Rubicon size tires on my Sahara but the Pro Comps stick out 2" compared to stock Wheel. I think I should be good with just these and stock carrier.
Yes they are still working out great.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have installed the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement System along with the RC Spare Tire Relocation Bracket and the 2 mate up and are solid as a rock. This allowed me to mount my 37x13.50 to the tailgate safely. The set-up is solid as a rock and has 0 rattles, BUT there is some slight movement if I go over a large bump. My rubber bump stops are about 2" shy of touching the tire, so I'm trying to find something to provide a solid bumper for the tire to rest against. I know the Mopar relocation kit comes with new stops, but you can't buy those individually to my knowledge. I bought a set of the daystar extended bumpstops but they are so soft it's pointless. I did not trim them at all and just let them compress as I tightened the tire in place, but they literally are as soft as a nerf football. I'm sure different backspacing will vary in terms of how long those need to be to provide a solid backing, but does anyone have any ideas they can share?
I'm running the same setup you are but my tires are 12.5 instead of 13.5. These suckers work great...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IDM1OCE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recommend a little dab of silicon around the base of the nipple before you install it. One of mine would allow a tiny trickle of water to slip into the Jeep.