Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Im about ready to put a 37" on my ready lift spare tire bracket. Any issues without reinforcing the tail gate?
Depends on what you are doing. If you are just mall crawling then you will most likely be ok. If you are off roading and have those 37s mounted on beadlocks then you are asking for trouble.
Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Im about ready to put a 37" on my ready lift spare tire bracket. Any issues without reinforcing the tail gate?
I ran that set up for about a year without any major problems, though that was 51 weeks of pounding pavement, 1 week wheeling the snot of my brand new Jeep in Moab. While I had no problems, it did rattle like a mother fucker over little bump or expansion joint in the road.

Hard to say if you'll have problems with the number of different factors involved like weight of the rims and tires you choose, how and where you'll be using it. If you're not able to swing the cost of adding a reinforcement bracket now, start setting aside the money to buy it as soon as you have the money.

OregonJeep

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler unlimited
I ran that set up for about a year without any major problems, though that was 51 weeks of pounding pavement, 1 week wheeling the snot of my brand new Jeep in Moab. While I had no problems, it did rattle like a mother fucker over little bump or expansion joint in the road.

Hard to say if you'll have problems with the number of different factors involved like weight of the rims and tires you choose, how and where you'll be using it. If you're not able to swing the cost of adding a reinforcement bracket now, start setting aside the money to buy it as soon as you have the money.
yeah money isn't a factor. Just seems like the reinforcement isn't at the hinges and more or less on the tail gate.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah money isn't a factor. Just seems like the reinforcement isn't at the hinges and more or less on the tail gate.
Yeah, the Mopar reinforcement capitalized on what Jeep already engineered into the hinge and gate assembly to distribute the load throughout the gate which for the vast majority of us is fine.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the Mopar reinforcement capitalized on what Jeep already engineered into the hinge and gate assembly to distribute the load throughout the gate which for the vast majority of us is fine.
Jeep didn't engineer those hinges for a 37" tire and certainly not for a 37" on a beadlock. You can run it that way without reinforcement but you are asking for trouble.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep didn't engineer those hinges for a 37" tire and certainly not for a 37" on a beadlock. You can run it that way without reinforcement but you are asking for trouble.
Never implied they did or that someone running 37’s with beadlocks should cheap out not run some form of reinforcement.

My comment was that Jeep did a better job of designing the hinges and gate to better withstand the weight and load of a larger wheel combo when used with a reinforcement bracket, something that could not be said about the JK Since then entire hinge assembly needed to be replaced on that model.

Bennera513

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sport, '22 JLUR XR (Just Received!)
With inspiration from this thread I bought the Energy bump stops off Amazon but alone they wouldn't fill the gap left by my 17x9, -18mm offset wheels. Home Depot had three plumbing options that seemed like they would fit the bill as extenders.....female couplers, male couplers and connectors. They all fit and seated over the end of Energy bump stops. The result was the perfect length....In the pic are the male couplers (providing a cool wire loom look) and connectors with the original mopar XR bump stops.....I ended up using the female connectors.....$3.78 on top of the Energy bump stops.

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

mqu02

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
I ended up with this problem too, and 3D printed a pair of spacers that were the correct length & used the existing OEM rubber bump stops. It really didn't take much time at all, and I did a write up in the 3D Designer thread here: 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers

Here is a picture of how it turned out for anyone that wants to give it a try:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Bumpstops? IMG_6446

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up with this problem too, and 3D printed a pair of spacers that were the correct length & used the existing OEM rubber bump stops. It really didn't take much time at all, and I did a write up in the 3D Designer thread here: 3D Designer Section for 3D Printers

Here is a picture of how it turned out for anyone that wants to give it a try:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Bumpstops? IMG_6446
You could sell those puppies.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
You might consider a different tire carrier than the factory one so you can get the tire closer to the tailgate. I picked up the teraflex one and was able to cut my new bumpers down shorter than the original factory ones.

Sponsored

mqu02

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
You might consider a different tire carrier than the factory one so you can get the tire closer to the tailgate. I picked up the teraflex one and was able to cut my new bumpers down shorter than the original factory ones.
You’re absolutely right, the Teraflex carrier is a huge upgrade in every way. Since I don’t have a really heavy wheel tire combo though, I wanted something better than I’d seen solutions for, and didn’t feel I could justify the Teraflex solution yet. It’s currently as solid as it was from the factory, which made me feel better than leaving it dangle with no lower support.

PS. I didn’t figure the actual cost of the plastic it took to print these, but it was probably in the neighborhood of a couple dollars. That was a big contributing factor in why I went this direction.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re absolutely right, the Teraflex carrier is a huge upgrade in every way. Since I don’t have a really heavy wheel tire combo though, I wanted something better than I’d seen solutions for, and didn’t feel I could justify the Teraflex solution yet. It’s currently as solid as it was from the factory, which made me feel better than leaving it dangle with no lower support.

PS. I didn’t figure the actual cost of the plastic it took to print these, but it was probably in the neighborhood of a couple dollars. That was a big contributing factor in why I went this direction.
Yeah I hear you. I was having problems with my backup sensors triggering off the spare too. It wasn't important enough for me to do more than disable the backup sensors until my wife backed into our daughters car.

It looks great too you did a nice job on your spacer so no digs on you there.
I'm curious how you got it to stick to the tailgate tbh.

mqu02

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Industrial Engineering
Yeah I hear you. I was having problems with my backup sensors triggering off the spare too. It wasn't important enough for me to do more than disable the backup sensors until my wife backed into our daughters car.

It looks great too you did a nice job on your spacer so no digs on you there.
I'm curious how you got it to stick to the tailgate tbh.
That makes a lot of sense, and fortunately I haven’t ran into problems with my backup sensors yet. If I had I’d definitely be looking at a Teraflex carrier or something close.

The spacers are held to the tailgate through the existing holes, and I made a boss on the spacer to locate it in the same place as factory. I did a much longer write up on how I made them in the 3D design section here, and there is a picture showing exactly how they are retained:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-section-for-3d-printers.79770/post-2185237

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)