Sponsored

Tailgate Reinforcement

wubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 LBP S2000, '23 Rubicon 4xe
Have a 4xe rubi with 17 in aftermarket wheels (29.88 Ib) and 315/70/17 KOs (62.4). Is this weight fine without any tailgate reinforcement?
I see answers on here that if you’re primarily street driving, it should be fine. Otherwise, it’s imperative to get the reinforcement if off-roading pretty frequently.
Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
I'm sure you will find answers from both sides. I would go with what you feel is the better option. My wife's JLUR had the OEM reinforcement and I replaced it with a Motobilt carrier that replaced the OEM hinges. Her's has 37's now and will eventually have 40's. If you plan on going with a larger wheel/tire package I would recommend it. If not, stick with what you've got.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
35”s you’ll be fine. I’ve been running the stock carrier with the RC relocation bracket with 105lbs on it for about 40k miles. I wheel regularly at AOAA and Raush Creek. I do recommend extending the bump stops so they are tight against the tire. I believe this is where the issue comes in if you don’t do that. The tire can then fling around and cause undue stress. If you go bigger than 35”s I would put on a reinforcement or aftermarket carrier.
Sponsored