Tailgate Bumpstops?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I just went and got some of those chair rubber caps.I got the exact one from Lowe's but they don't look long enough how did you get yours to work in that photo because it's not going to be long enough for me look how long my setup is now my tire sticks out farther
Or until my #Roamoffroad rear bumper/tire carrier come in.
I just got the chair caps people are using but it's not going to be long enough I measure it against my set up now and it's too short here's what I am seeing rubber chair cap is going to be too short

20190114_192941.jpg

Last edited:

drock317

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS - Ocean Blue
The reason mine works with just the caps is because I got a higher offset wheel opposed to the normal -12, -6 or 0 that most.ppl get. Those negative offset wheels pull it further away from tailgate. I have a +18 wheel so it kept it tighter to the tailgate and only had about a 3/4" gap to fill which these worked perfectly.

If you go back to the first page of this post there is plenty of information on how to fill the gap with a PVC pipe and the chair tips or a rubber hose for a garbage disposal and the chair tips.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sponsored

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
Didn’t see it mentioned in here yet, but I installed some Energy Suspension bumpstops today. Not the cheapest solution but much better quality compared to the Daystars I was using on my old JK. Ordered mine off Amazon. Part # 2.9105G

665ABDCE-BE5F-4DFA-9550-0B88A59B69A1.jpeg

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The 'PUCKS" are cool--and

Foam rollbar casing is good too !

W.E.

JIMBO

Badboylopez

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Finally figured out how to stop the tailgate from rattling on big bumps! Super easy quick fix as long as you’ve already address the tailgate bumps stops. All you need to do is adjust the bottom tailgate striker out and up a bit. I noticed my tailgate would flex because of my 37in spare. Just drove down one of the roads by my house I use to cringe driving down because of all the bumps and hearing my tailgate knocking.

B97EB41A-C2BE-4ADB-86DB-C2A612E188BF.jpeg

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
How do you adjust the striker on the tail gate ?

Sponsored

Badboylopez

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
How do you adjust the striker on the tail gate ?
Just loosen the 10mm bolts and you can slide it out and even up If you need to. If you pull it as far out as you can the tailgate might not close. So you don’t have to move it out too much. Ever since adjusting it My tailgate finally doesn’t thump on big bumps! I was already looking into buying a bumper tire carrier before finding out about this. Good luck!

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
See picture, just need to cut to length. Took a minute to do and cost $8. I take no credit for this I thank the people of the forums for the idea.

IMG_7969.jpg
Thank you! Headed to Lowe’s, now!

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Not the prettiest but just found a spare mountain bike grip and cut it . Fit perfect inside the current stop and it is softer than the tire so no damage there. Can snug it up considerably as needed.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
Not the prettiest but just found a spare mountain bike grip and cut it . Fit perfect inside the current stop and it is softer than the tire so no damage there. Can snug it up considerably as needed.
Post a picture. Here is mine with 35's on Quadratec Rubicon Extreme wheels using the new bump stops that came with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit and PVC pipe with chair leg tips.

20190622_174659[1].jpg
Rubicon Extremes.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I cut pvc pipe for my JK a few years ago and could not find the remnant piece. So I horked the grips from the spare box. Like I said ugly but very snug when I tightened the bolts and it stays in place.

in8soh.jpg
Sponsored