Steering issues resolved in 2021 JL?

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
I noticed in previous JL model years many owners complained of steering issues. Has it been resolved with the 2021 model? I realize the steering box was changed but would like to hear from the owners of STOCK 21's
Thank you
Sponsored

Last edited:

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
2021 here JLUS. No issues except for some feeling of "light" steering which i managed to cure by lowering the Tire pressure from 38 to around 33 cold.It tracks straight and no "wandering".It felt it had a small gap like half an inch of free play but when i opened the hood and turned the steering wheel i could see the shaft you can see that it turns with every millimeter but it "felt" like it wasnt.There is sort of a curve to when the steering feels like it kicks in.All in all it is really good.I did complain when i first got it but it seems it somehow adjusted or maybe I did.The tire pressure helped alot to get a better more solid feel.

Storey21

First Name
Trish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4 door
2021 here with. 10/20 build date. The steering is solid, with only the smallest of dead spots. I can live with that. Tracks straight. I’m happy

Sowelu

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude
2021 here JLUS. No issues except for some feeling of "light" steering which i managed to cure by lowering the Tire pressure from 38 to around 33 cold.It tracks straight and no "wandering".It felt it had a small gap like half an inch of free play but when i opened the hood and turned the steering wheel i could see the shaft you can see that it turns with every millimeter but it "felt" like it wasnt.There is sort of a curve to when the steering feels like it kicks in.All in all it is really good.I did complain when i first got it but it seems it somehow adjusted or maybe I did.The tire pressure helped alot to get a better more solid feel.
Sorry to reply to an old post, but does the TPM come on if you lower the tire pressure below the recommended number?

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just received my 2-door Sport two weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised with the steering gear. Feels nice and tight, and has just the slightest dead spot as Trish explained above...almost unnoticeable if you weren't looking for it. All that said, I'm coming from a bone stock 1980 CJ-5, where steering is more like a "suggestion" on where to point the vehicle, so anything is better!

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
Sorry to reply to an old post, but does the TPM come on if you lower the tire pressure below the recommended number?
You can set it in the settings at which PSI to turn on as far as i can recall.
Ill check in the morning and let you know, i haven't been in that setting for a very long time.
if i am not mistaken now that i am thinking about it it was around 30-32 when it sets off....

Sowelu

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude
You can set it in the settings at which PSI to turn on as far as i can recall.
Ill check in the morning and let you know, i haven't been in that setting for a very long time.
if i am not mistaken now that i am thinking about it it was around 30-32 when it sets off....
Cool, thank you.

I have a '21 Sahara Altitude on order (first Jeep) and will have a 75 mile drive home from the dealership (all highway), so I wanted to adjust the pressure right there without triggering the TPM.

It sounds like lowering the pressure to around 35 PSI is the sweet spot for most, so maybe I will start there.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2021 Rubicon. It has been modified in the last week but we drove it for two months with no mods. Before the Rubicon I had a 2018 Sport. So I’ve driven with both steering boxes.

The 2018’s steering was just a mess. It was all over the place. A rut in the road would cause it to pull to one side or the other. I didn’t dare drive it on Eisenhower Tunnel (I70 east bound in Colorado) because the uneven asphalt came close to pulling use into the wall a couple times.

The 2021 is LIGHT YEARS better. It certainly isn’t perfect but it’s much easier to hold a line.

Sponsored

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/tsb-08-003-21-pdf.444253/

fwiw this is the t.s.b. used to correct 2018-2020 JL's. Don't know if they will ever extend work to newer JL's.

Took about a year to get the TSB done on the Wrangler. Had to work hard to get it done
They don’t need to extend it to newer wranglers as they already have the upgraded steering box as far as I know. But yes I definitely recommend this for those with the 18-20 models. Made a huge difference in our 2019

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm alarmed and concerned that I still see complaints here about steering problems for 2021 Wranglers.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The 2021 and 2022 Wranglers have the new steering gear. TSB 08-003-21 specifically states 2018-2020 JL Wranglers and 2020 JT Gladiators are only impacted.

Nearing the end of my warranty, I had this done on my 2019 this past week and picked it up yesterday. Huge improvement and driving on the highway in wind doesn't have me wandering everywhere. Just the normal push from driving a brick on wheels and don't expect it to steer like a sports car.

No issue getting a random close dealer to do the work. If you describe wandering, etc as the TSB states, the TSB says they must do the work. Took 2 days for them to get the parts. They wanted to charge a $130 alignment but I pointed out the TSB says it's included. They didn't reuse any bolts nor try to push billable services unrelated. Plus they ran it through the car wash for me.

jon-ann

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2019 2 door TJ 2005
Jeep Wilys 2021 , steering failure, Service steering warning light came on, complete loss of steering . Service Tec advised wiring loom connection had melted and burnt out electric steering pump. due to being incorrectly plugged in at factory, Is this a one off or have other"s had this occur ?
Sponsored