Sponsored

So do we know if the steering issues have been resolved on the 2019's?

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Are the 2019's still exhibiting the same steering issues that are well documented in a large number of 2018 Wranglers?
Sponsored

njviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 12 JKU, soon to be 18 or 19 JL
no issues with mine.
Thats the problem with 1st year models. They kinda work out the bugs as they go through the year. I waited for a 19 just for that reason.

elcue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara/Wrangler
Only 60 miles on mine but no issues as yet. I too read about the death wobble and steering issues on here and it has me nervous. I test drove twice before purchase didnā€™t notice any issues then on the 2018. And now I have about 65 miles on my 2019 and havenā€™t noticed anything strange. Itā€™s defintely a looser ride than Iā€™m used to but I wouldnā€™t say itā€™s an issue. I had it going 70mph for about a 10 mile stretch on the parkway this morning and it handled fine. Are most people noticing problems with higher mileage or as soon as their truck is delivered?? I hope nothing happens.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Most people are having no issues.

The people who do have issues are real. But the majority of Wranglers donā€™t have these issues.

Edit: I guess my point is don't worry be happy.

Last edited:

DCELL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL Sahara, Ford F150
I'm not smart enough to link to another specific post, but JeremyJeep's post (about the 9th post down from OP) in this thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2019-steering.19015/#post-472405 is very good about part numbers, steering, etc. Are/Were there problems? Sure. But just like the almighty weld issues, not near as bad as you would think from reading forums, including this one. People don't normally post a bunch of good stuff in forum's, they post to bitch or to get help in solving problems.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
no issues with mine.
Thats the problem with 1st year models. They kinda work out the bugs as they go through the year. I waited for a 19 just for that reason.
My 2018 has no issues. And honestly a lot of people started getting these issues after driving more thank 1k miles. Just because you have a 2019 doesn't mean your out of the issues yet. If the 2019's fixed the issue you would have heard of recalls or TSB fixes for the 2018's by now. And there's been nothing.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I waited one production year to order my JLUR, which I am picking up tomorrow. Hopefully, the steering issue has been sorted out.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I waited one production year to order my JLUR, which I am picking up tomorrow. Hopefully, the steering issue has been sorted out.
Congratulations on your new Jeep! Iā€™m sure you will love it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
One sure thing for those that wait - you will pay more. I thought about waiting but that meant higher cost guaranteed while getting a better Jeep is just rolling the dice. That equation didnā€™t work for me.

And itā€™s not just sales price. Higher interest rates, less favorable lease terms, Golden ticket exclusions, less BonusDrive money, higher Destination charges. The cost to own a Jeep is much more in 2019 than it was for the early adopters.

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
One sure thing for those that wait - you will pay more. I thought about waiting but that meant higher cost guaranteed while getting a better Jeep is just rolling the dice. That equation didnā€™t work for me.

And itā€™s not just sales price. Higher interest rates, less favorable lease terms, Golden ticket exclusions, less BonusDrive money, higher Destination charges. The cost to own a Jeep is much more in 2019 than it was for the early adopters.
True, but don't forget to factor in that the newer models will have a somewhat proportionate higher resale value too so it's likely pretty close to a wash in the end.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
True, but don't forget to factor in that the newer models will have a somewhat proportionate higher resale value too so it's likely pretty close to a wash in the end.
I donā€™t agree. Like i said that may be true for the sales price but not the other factors. Also you only get the proportionate share back not the whole amount. Itā€™s not a wash.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Bought my 18 in March of this year... no problems yet. Don't worry about anything.. it will always work out okay :)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just bought mine on Monday. Drove it 2 hrs down the highway from the dealer and spent the night. It was a bit busy to drive it. Next morning, went straight to the alignment shop in the town we were staying in. The alignment mechanic showed me it had 1/16" toe in and 4 1/2 degrees of caster. Nominal spec for the JL is .20 degrees (=.112" w/33" tires) toe in and 4.8 degrees caster. The tolerance for the toe-in is +/- .20 degrees. So, up to almost 1/4" is in spec. But 1/4" is going to wear the tires more than 1/8". My JLUR toe in was on the light side, so I had him set it at 1/8" (.125").

My steering box had nearly no play, so it's not the issue.

But the alignment mechanic noted that the movement of the steering was stiff and thought it was so stiff the caster wasn't centering it and I was driving kinda "point and shoot". So, I'd steer it a direction, and then I'd correct it in a slightly different direction and back and forth.

After the toe-in correction, I drove it 4 hrs home at hwy speeds up to 75-80 mph and even in some heavy winds that were gusting. It drove very well. I could one hand it except in the gust wind. Still, it didn't return to center like it should.

After returning home, I checked his theory and I believe he was correct. I turned slightly a few degrees and let go of the wheel and it didn't self-center. That combined with the low toe-in, made it seem very busy. I believe the stiffness of the steering is the stabilizer. I'm going to remove the stablizer and drive it around the neighborhood to check to see if the steering will self-center with out it. No high speed stuff of course.

Check your toe-in guys. It needs 1/8" or a bit more to feel normal. I'll post what I find about the stabilizer. But my thoughts are that my issues are just the two: inadequate toe-in and stiff steering system.

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I picked up my 2018 JL Sport S on Black Friday and now have 1040 miles on it. Have done a mix of highway and surface road driving without any steering issues.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
I picked up my 2019 JL last week in MD. Drove it back to NY and I noticed it does drift to the right if I let go of the steering wheel. The PSI for all tires are identical so I'm hoping it's just the alignment. Once I stop procrastinating, I plan on bringing it to the local dealer to have them check it out.
Sponsored