Death Wobble / Bump Steer / Steering Issues / Drifting - RESOLVED

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1998 Mercedes ML320, 1998 BMW 528iA, 2002 BMW 325xi
I have test driven 5 JLU's and they all had the wandering steering issue. When driving between 45-60 MPH these vehicles all "wandered." My experience was that holding the steering wheel steady did not keep the car in a straight line. It would wander slightly left or right depending on pavement, driving conditions. The vehicle seems to wander because when the wheel is turned in a direction, there is a 1 to 2 inch play before the front wheels turn in the direction intended.

When I experienced it the first time it was sort of fun. I have since changed my mind and decided that it is a significant problem and potentially dangerous. I was especially upset when the 5th one I drove, which was manufactured 9/18, had just been delivered to the dealership, and which I was prepared to buy, also had this issue. So, it seems to me that all JLU's have the wandering steering issue and that JEEP does not consider the issue significant. My guess is that many buyers of the JLU do not notice this steering issue, especially in short pre-purchase test drives. It also must be that many JLU owners drive differently or have different driving situations than I have. Many of the roads near me are 2 lane 45-60 MPH highways, and this vehicle does not work well on them.

My interest in purchasing one of these and my wandering experience led me to this forum website. My goal is to find out that Jeep has fixed this steering issue at the factory, so that I could then buy one and feel good about it. If anyone out there knows if and when this will be fixed at the factory, please let me know.

I was informed by a large FCA dealership that Jeep Wranglers which were shipped from the factory in mid December 2018 did not exhibit any steering problems at all. If you happen to visit a dealership in the near future and confirm a December 2018 production date, perhaps you can verify that the steering is indeed fine with one or more of those vehicles that you decide to test drive. Don't know if FCA has finally resolved the steering issue or is it still on ongoing problem for new customers to discover after purchase. Unfortunately, FCA has certainly not been very open or transparent to their customers about the steering problems.
Sponsored

dibsman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I'm a little late to the party, sorry if this has been asked/answered already; are any 2019's showing this issue? Or has it been resolved for 2019 builds. Thanks.

hammerheadnc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 3.6L (Punky), 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Big Red)
Is this issue primarily on 4 door versions or are there some 2 doors affected? I have over 5K miles on mine and experience some minor vibrations a couple of time on stock tires and since I had the Kumho Road Ventures mounted and balanced there have been no other issues. I wonder if it is weight difference on the lighter steering components with the heavier 4 doors?

Just a thought

OP
OP

Mike21163

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Curious - I have a small lift (1.5" Leveling) - is the track bar overkill in this case? I am thinking for the price, why not...my steering is fine, I did add the Falcon steering stabilizer (non-adjustable version).
I would still recommend the Steer Smarts trackbar. Even if I didn’t have steering issues I would still want an improved front suspension. In my opinion it has made my suspension safer and more robust. For a few hundred dollars you will not regret this upgrade.

I still see that many other JL owners are experiencing steering issues. For me, I’m still free of any steering issues. The trackbar and stabilizer did the trick for me, but I also think it has a lot to do with Joes Jeep Jungle. Joe takes the time, and has the Jeep knowledge to go with it. I wouldn’t trust my Jeep with anyone but him!

Let us know what you think after you get the trackbar installed.

Sponsored

RPerson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Not to beat a dead horse, duplicate the many threads on here, or stir things up any more, but just in terms of an update on my particular problem...

Today I became the proud owner of my third new steering stabilizer (second replacement). When I showed up at the dealer to tell them the problem was back, the reaction was "Well of course it is" so they have become painfully familiar with the issue. My first replacement occurred the first week of November last year with a part that was manufactured on 10/30. I haven't seen the new replacement yet. I was told of one particular case they have ongoing at my dealership where they've already done 2 replacements and are now being asked by Jeep to more or less take apart the front end and reassemble it. Unfortunately I don't have more detail than that. Regardless, I'm still assuming that this new part is just holding me over until it also goes bad or a true fix for the underlying issue is found. When I get a little more time I'll search around here to see if anyone else has any more current information on an actual fix to whatever design flaw is going on here.

I suppose on the bright side I haven't had my power steering cut out on me in the cold... <knocks feverishly on wooden things>

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1998 Mercedes ML320, 1998 BMW 528iA, 2002 BMW 325xi
Not to beat a dead horse, duplicate the many threads on here, or stir things up any more, but just in terms of an update on my particular problem...

Today I became the proud owner of my third new steering stabilizer (second replacement). When I showed up at the dealer to tell them the problem was back, the reaction was "Well of course it is" so they have become painfully familiar with the issue. My first replacement occurred the first week of November last year with a part that was manufactured on 10/30. I haven't seen the new replacement yet. I was told of one particular case they have ongoing at my dealership where they've already done 2 replacements and are now being asked by Jeep to more or less take apart the front end and reassemble it. Unfortunately I don't have more detail than that. Regardless, I'm still assuming that this new part is just holding me over until it also goes bad or a true fix for the underlying issue is found. When I get a little more time I'll search around here to see if anyone else has any more current information on an actual fix to whatever design flaw is going on here.

I suppose on the bright side I haven't had my power steering cut out on me in the cold... <knocks feverishly on wooden things>

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) should take a valuable business ethics lesson from Subaru Corporation---
"Subaru Halts Japan Production Over Power-Steering Defect--Subaru Corp. said it has temporarily shut down two factories that account for two-thirds of global output......" per the Wall Street Journal Article (Jan. 23, 2019).

When a such sizeable percentage (see Jeep JL Wrangler Forum Survey results recapped below) of 2018 & 2019 Jeep Wranglers have steering problems coupled with over 400 complaints to the NHTSA, one truly has to wonder if FCA really cares if any of its Jeep Wrangler customers become injured and/or even killed. FCA should show its appreciation to all its Jeep Wrangler customers (both loyal and new) by effectively communicating a real repair (a genuine fix for the steering/wandering/wobbling problems) to all its dealerships. You will do far more to retain the loyalty of your customers by doing the right thing, rather than hiding behind your corporate veil with your army of lawyers. That will not prevent injuries, nor fatalities; but doing the right thing will.

jeepsteeringsurvey-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Just had the Teraflex Falcon 2.1 (non adjustable) steering stabilizer installed my my stock sport. I was on my second factory stabilizer but given the fact so many seem to be failing, I didn't want to chance it as I have a long road trip at the end of the week. Initial impressions - there is little to no feedback in the steering wheel over bumps. The front end just generally feels tighter/stiffer. Even turning the wheel takes a bit more effort and feels more solid. I haven't taken it on the highway yet, but it has really minimized any feeling in the steering over bumps, tracks, manholes, etc. Very impressed so far.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Got my first replacement stabilizer yesterday and everything is back to smooth on the road. No more wondering if any bump on the interstate at 70 MPH or higher is going to send me into death wobble mode. Good news, right?!!? Hopefully. I still believe the underlying issue is something else and that by replacing the steering stabilizer with a stiffer one will only exacerbate that problem down the road. If the problem is not found and a band-aid is applied over time, I worry that the issue will be pushed outside of the warranty period of my vehicle.

The service department manager did inform me that the new stabilizer was a double acting one as opposed to the original being a single acting one. I guess I can hope that the fighting of the left and right side of the stabilizer may actually be fixed by this. Based on others experience, I have my doubts.

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

I haven't really been able to tell from the posts, does anyone know if this is a problem in the 2019s as well? In other words, if I ended up getting mine bought back due to the dealer's inability to solve the problem, will I end up with the same problem if I end up purchasing a 2019? Also, is this known to be a defect in EVERY 2018? I got a base model for my sons, so if it is going to be a problem for certain in that I'd just as soon kill two birds with one stone!

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I haven't really been able to tell from the posts, does anyone know if this is a problem in the 2019s as well? In other words, if I ended up getting mine bought back due to the dealer's inability to solve the problem, will I end up with the same problem if I end up purchasing a 2019? Also, is this known to be a defect in EVERY 2018? I got a base model for my sons, so if it is going to be a problem for certain in that I'd just as soon kill two birds with one stone!
Yes, search 2019 steering using the search function:

Search results: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/84092884/?q=2019+steering&o=date&c[title_only]=1

TFL New Reporting on 2019 JL Steering Issues (with poll)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...g-on-2019-jl-steering-issues-with-poll.20105/

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/12/2019-jeep-wrangler-steering-issues/

2019 steering
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2019-steering.19015/

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
13 days since I got my JL back and I can feel the wobble slowly creeping back into the mix. Looks like Ill be making another service appointment.

OP
OP

Mike21163

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's been almost 7 months since my steering issues were resolved by Joe's Jeep Jungle in Eldersburg MD. Many folks commented that I was masking the issue, and some or all issues would return. Well, almost 7 months later, and my steering issues have not returned. I trusted in Joe, and he has not disappointed. You can check my initial post, which was in October 2018. You'll notice that Joe was one of the 1st Jeep shops to put together a suspension solution for the JL's. Joe is one of the best Jeep shops on the East Coast, and I'm very fortunate that he handles all of my Jeep projects. For a complete breakdown on my steering solutions, please read my original post.

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
It's been almost 7 months since my steering issues were resolved by Joe's Jeep Jungle in Eldersburg MD. Many folks commented that I was masking the issue, and some or all issues would return. Well, almost 7 months later, and my steering issues have not returned. I trusted in Joe, and he has not disappointed. You can check my initial post, which was in October 2018. You'll notice that Joe was one of the 1st Jeep shops to put together a suspension solution for the JL's. Joe is one of the best Jeep shops on the East Coast, and I'm very fortunate that he handles all of my Jeep projects. For a complete breakdown on my steering solutions, please read my original post.
Thanks for the update. My situation is somewhat similar in that my stock two door JL. Luckily, I never had play in steering or wandering - only DW. Anyway, went through two failed factory steering stabilizers. I bit the bullet and installed the Teraflex Falcon steering stabilizer. 8K later - it feels the same as it did when it was first installed, in fact, I almost think it drives even better/smoother as I continue to put on miles.

SS_AP

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
That's great news. A few questions:

1. About how much play was in your steering wheel before the fix? In other words, how much could you turn your steering wheel before the tires moved / responded?

2. The Steer Smarts YETI XD Adjustable Track Bar description states it is for lifted vehicles. Did they say it can be used on a non-lifted vehicle too? I read that the TeraFlex stabilizer can be used on 0 - 6", so that part of the fix is good for non-lifted JLs.

3. What was / are are your caster measurements before and after the fix?

4. Were you experiencing the cold weather steering lock up problems people are reporting before the fix? If yes, is that gone now too?

Agreed about warranty and costs involved to fix it. No big deal to spend around $600 or so if you paid $49K+ for a vehicle. $600+/- is well worth it. Plus I heard that the OEM JL steering stabilizer is on back order until February 2019.

FYI: My non-lifted JL steering issues were fixed by increasing caster with the slightly longer Mopar lift lower control arms, tightening all of the loose ball joints and other bolts in the steering system - some were finger loose, and a small adjustment on the steering box. But not everyone is having success, so I'm sure the info in your post will help others.
1. I never measured the play, it was just noticeable while driving.
2. I'm not sure.
3. I didn't check before or after.
4. No

If your problem returns, hopefully my fix helps you out.
FWIW the Steer Smarts Yeti XD Trackbar can be used on stock height vehicles. I have since updated the trackbar listing to reflect that the SS trackbar can be used on a vehicle with no lift up to one with 6.5" of lift.
Sponsored