Death Wobble / Bump Steer / Steering Issues / Drifting - RESOLVED

Mike21163

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, you read the subject line correctly. Thanks to Joe at Joe's Jeep Jungle, my death wobble, and hopefully all of your steering issues, will also be resolved soon. I have a 2018 JLUR, with approximately 9k miles. I have the 2" Mopar lift with 35" KO2's, and Daystar bow correction coil isolators.

Over the past 2 weeks, I have read every post on this forum related to death wobble and steering issues. I know there are dozens of posts already started about this same topic, but I felt this resolution deserved a thread of it's own. Hopefully FCA will pay close attention to this issue, and provide a resolution soon. I was experiencing the death wobble, on bridge overpasses, small pot holes, bumps in the road, and it was fairly frequent when driving over 55 mph. I changed my tire pressure countless times with no success. Over the last week I became very concerned and was about to make time to take it into the service department. I read a few posts where folks mentioned that their Jeeps had been at the dealership for about a month. Everything that I read was even more unsettling to me, than my jacked up jeep. At this point I was regretting the lift, and even buying a first year new model JL. I found some comfort in reading that another JL owner was willing to remove his lift, to troubleshoot or resolve his issue. Joe's Jeep Jungle in Eldersburg MD, installed my lift and works on all of my friends Jeeps as well. I decided to send Joe an email and see what his opinion was about this, and if he has seen this issue yet. This was the first JL that he had seen in person with the Death Wobble. Joe checked every possibility in the front suspension, and did track down my issue. Before taking it in, Joe thought I could be experiencing trackbar flex.

The first thing installed to assist in correcting this problem was the Steer Smarts YETI XD Adjustable Track Bar. It did make the steering better, but there were still death wobble issues. If you install the Mopar 2" lift, I highly recommend this beefy track bar. Joe was determined, and I was patient and willing to help all JL owners. Yes, I wanted my issue resolved, but I also value the importance of helping others. Joe dedicated the remainder of his day to track down this issue. Joe is also a JL owner, and his entire business is built around the passion for Jeeps. Sorry, I know this is a long read, but I want to get this out and hopefully save some JL owners from "steering" away from the JL. Many folks are waiting for steering issues to be resolved, and some have already traded their JL's in. Up to this point no one really has provided a fix or any hope on improved steering. Now I'm not claiming this will fix everyone's steering issues, but I assure you this did fix mine. Not only did it fix my issue, but it completely transformed my steering and driving experience.

Joe installed the TeraFlex Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering Stabilizer. We adjusted the setting to Firm, and Joe took it on one final test drive. Death Wobble, Bump Steer, Steering Issues, Drifting, all of my steering concerns were resolved with this new stabilizer. I never liked the extra steering drift, but with this being my 1st Jeep, I also read many posts that led me to believe it's a Jeep thing. Now I could of dealt with the drifting for years, but when the Death Wobble came along, well that's where I decided to take matters into my own hands. The OEM Stabilizer is currently on back order. My stabilizer was the issue, and replacing it corrected my issue. But I also wouldn't want to wait around for FCA to replace it with a similar stabilizer.

Yes, this cost me a few dollars, and I know how many of you feel. These types of issues are covered under warranty, but how long do we need to wait, and will the solution be up to my personal standards. I've said this since the day I placed my order, which was in April 2018. I think we are all Guinea pigs for this 1st year new Wrangler, and it's up to us to make the JL better. This forum makes the JL better. And I know Joe at Joe's Jeep Jungle and his crew have done their part in all of this to make the JL better. For almost 2 weeks I was cautious to drive over 55 mph on the road, and on high alert over every bump. Now I'm back to the same smile that I had the first day I picked up my Jeep. But, now it's better than the day I bought it. The steering is so much better, I can't do it justice with words. I really just thought Jeeps had a lot of play in the steering and that was just the way it was. Well that's not the case, and my Jeep now drives better than I ever imagined it could. The steering has little to no play, and I feel completely confident driving over 75 mph. During my forum research I was somewhat relieved to see that the Death Wobble was happening to stock and lifted JL's. Once we say lifted, it seems to go in so many other service directions. The amount of reported stock Jeeps with this issue, was also very helpful. Keep sharing your stories, experiences, and JL issues. All of your posts helped lead me to my fix, and hopefully this solves your steering issues as well.

If you are local in MD or surrounding area, stop by Joe's Jeep Jungle. His quality of work, passion and dedication to Jeeps, is truly second to none. I would trust no other shop with my Jeep. Thank you for reading my post, and welcoming me in to the Jeep community. Good luck to all in fixing your steering issues!
JLUR Stabiizer and Trackbar.JPG

JLUR Trackbar.JPG
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's great news. A few questions:

1. About how much play was in your steering wheel before the fix? In other words, how much could you turn your steering wheel before the tires moved / responded?

2. The Steer Smarts YETI XD Adjustable Track Bar description states it is for lifted vehicles. Did they say it can be used on a non-lifted vehicle too? I read that the TeraFlex stabilizer can be used on 0 - 6", so that part of the fix is good for non-lifted JLs.

3. What was / are are your caster measurements before and after the fix?

4. Were you experiencing the cold weather steering lock up problems people are reporting before the fix? If yes, is that gone now too?

Agreed about warranty and costs involved to fix it. No big deal to spend around $600 or so if you paid $49K+ for a vehicle. $600+/- is well worth it. Plus I heard that the OEM JL steering stabilizer is on back order until February 2019.

FYI: My non-lifted JL steering issues were fixed by increasing caster with the slightly longer Mopar lift lower control arms, tightening all of the loose ball joints and other bolts in the steering system - some were finger loose, and a small adjustment on the steering box. But not everyone is having success, so I'm sure the info in your post will help others.

Jessgut12

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So you would recommend that track bar with the steering stabilizer and it should fix the issue? Or just that steering stabilizer itself?

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What if I told you that you can have a perfectly driving wrangler without ANY stabilizer at all? Death wobble almost all of the time is trackbar related. There is nothing wrong with the OEM trackbar, although your axle may be too far off center if your lift is too tall. Most of the time, it is because of a bad lift install, improperly torqued bolts, etc.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
In another thread a dealer tech that is also working to resolve death wobble has narrowed it down to bad steering stabilizer also. Apparently the part # has been updated. He also stated the track bar # has also been updated. Seems FCA is aware of the problem and making updated parts to resolve it.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/steering-wheel-wobble.16577/page-5

Going aftermarket is certainly an option for a timely fix.

Thank for posting.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mike21163

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's great news. A few questions:

1. About how much play was in your steering wheel before the fix? In other words, how much could you turn your steering wheel before the tires moved / responded?

2. The Steer Smarts YETI XD Adjustable Track Bar description states it is for lifted vehicles. Did they say it can be used on a non-lifted vehicle too? I read that the TeraFlex stabilizer can be used on 0 - 6", so that part of the fix is good for non-lifted JLs.

3. What was / are are your caster measurements before and after the fix?

4. Were you experiencing the cold weather steering lock up problems people are reporting before the fix? If yes, is that gone now too?

Agreed about warranty and costs involved to fix it. No big deal to spend around $600 or so if you paid $49K+ for a vehicle. $600+/- is well worth it. Plus I heard that the OEM JL steering stabilizer is on back order until February 2019.

FYI: My non-lifted JL steering issues were fixed by increasing caster with the slightly longer Mopar lift lower control arms, tightening all of the loose ball joints and other bolts in the steering system - some were finger loose, and a small adjustment on the steering box. But not everyone is having success, so I'm sure the info in your post will help others.
1. I never measured the play, it was just noticeable while driving.
2. I'm not sure.
3. I didn't check before or after.
4. No

If your problem returns, hopefully my fix helps you out.

OP
OP

Mike21163

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So you would recommend that track bar with the steering stabilizer and it should fix the issue? Or just that steering stabilizer itself?
I think this combination makes for a significantly improved driving experience, especially for the cost. In this case, the stabilizer was causing my JL death wobble. The trackbar is $240, and in my opinion a must have for lifted JL's, so yes I definitely recommend this combo.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I think this combination makes for a significantly improved driving experience, especially for the cost. In this case, the stabilizer was causing my JL death wobble. The trackbar is $240, and in my opinion a must have for lifted JL's, so yes I definitely recommend this combo.
So were you experiencing the loose wandering steering that so many have attributed to the steering box or was it more the death wobble?

Just wondering if the Falcon steering stabilzer will help those with wandering steering also.

OP
OP

Mike21163

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So were you experiencing the loose wandering steering that so many have attributed to the steering box or was it more the death wobble?

Just wondering if the Falcon steering stabilzer will help those with wandering steering also.
I was experiencing both, but I was not overly concerned until the death wobble started.

Sponsored

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are a few different thoughts on the death wobble matter, but I will throw my 2 cents worth in. The steering stabilizer is not the cause of death wobble, therefore it is not the cure for death wobble. A new, stronger stabilizer will just mask the problem until it wears out.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know there are a few different thoughts on the death wobble matter, but I will throw my 2 cents worth in. The steering stabilizer is not the cause of death wobble, therefore it is not the cure for death wobble. A new, stronger stabilizer will just mask the problem until it wears out.
Correct.

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
What IS the cause?

cc @JeepCares
I haven't had the problem on my JL, so I can't speak to what is causing it. On my JK, it was the trackbar, which I replaced to fix the issue. On my mothers JK, the trackbar did not fix the issue, it was the ball joints that had worn out.

It can be any component of the steering/suspension up front that causes it. Usually due to wear. I would think that at 9000 miles, the parts of the OP's Jeep should not be worn out yet, but I guess it could be a defective part.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What IS the cause?

cc @JeepCares
Most of the time, its the trackbar. Either not torqued properly, or ovaled out holes that allow play. Sometimes it can be a balljoint issue. It's not the stabilizer, because as I said, you can run without one without issue.
Sponsored