Death Wobble / Bump Steer / Steering Issues / Drifting - RESOLVED

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Does anyone have a good reference point for where to angle the drag link clamps for best clearances? I have been doing an iterative process and was hoping to speed it up.
Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The 2020 part number for the knuckle is possibly coinciding with the introduction of the Gladiator pick up truck. The gladiator is using basically the same axles with a higher GVW including thicker axle tubes so they probably have a heavier duty knuckle to match maybe even iron. That’s my guess.
Good job , you predicted in 2018 the cast knuckles coming.

Jeep47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door, 6-Speed
I was informed by a large FCA dealership that Jeep Wranglers which were shipped from the factory in mid December 2018 did not exhibit any steering problems at all. If you happen to visit a dealership in the near future and confirm a December 2018 production date, perhaps you can verify that the steering is indeed fine with one or more of those vehicles that you decide to test drive. Don't know if FCA has finally resolved the steering issue or is it still on ongoing problem for new customers to discover after purchase. Unfortunately, FCA has certainly not been very open or transparent to their customers about the steering problems.
Feb 2019 JL 2-Door and I have the wandering problem from new. Also a bit of death wobble with the tires getting into a cross bouncing "fit" after hitting slight bumps (at speed mind you of course). Getting ready to finally take it in to have both sorted with the latest TSB's, etc. (I hope!).

jamesj242003

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1998 Mercedes ML320, 1998 BMW 528iA, 2002 BMW 325xi
Feb 2019 JL 2-Door and I have the wandering problem from new. Also a bit of death wobble with the tires getting into a cross bouncing "fit" after hitting slight bumps (at speed mind you of course). Getting ready to finally take it in to have both sorted with the latest TSB's, etc. (I hope!).
My 2019 JLUR was manufactured and completed on Feb. 20, 2019. Fortunately, I have had no steering and/or wobbling issues to date, even after going over bridge abutments or rough roads. Good luck in getting your Jeep fully repaired.

Stinger6

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sports 2 door
We are the same model , and year , did they fix your JL ?

Sponsored

Stinger6

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We shall see, setting up appointment now. Will check back in here after & update.
Pls let me know I am dealing This for over 15 months and no - service center figure it out the issue they always says it's normal then I'm look like stupid :)

Stinger6

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pls let me know I am dealing This for over 15 months and no - service center figure it out the issue they always says it's normal then I'm look like stupid :)
We shall see, setting up appointment now. Will check back in here after & update.
Hey how it goes ? I pick my jl today , they finally figure it out why it's wandering after 8 trips over at service center , they change my steering box , I have sticky steering wheel when it's hot they say maybe bad fluid so they flush it , I upgraded my track bar and man ! The jl drives like perfect ! No wandering , no sticky steering wheel ! All is perfect. ! Hope yours are good as well

Jeep47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door, 6-Speed
Hey how it goes ? I pick my jl today , they finally figure it out why it's wandering after 8 trips over at service center , they change my steering box , I have sticky steering wheel when it's hot they say maybe bad fluid so they flush it , I upgraded my track bar and man ! The jl drives like perfect ! No wandering , no sticky steering wheel ! All is perfect. ! Hope yours are good as well
Fantastic! Went out of town for a couple weeks, so delayed my visit. Rescheduling - will keep your fix in mind when discussing with service writer. Will report back here what happens to my attempt as promised as well. Thanks!

Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
That $200+ steering stabilizer didn't fix DW, it masked it.
I will give it a few months before it trashes that thing and your DW is back.
Add adjustable arms to fix caster.

I went through this in my old Cherokee, replaced stabilizer and all was well for a bit, until DW came back and trashed the whole front end, put in adjustable beefy arms, track, tie rod, HD ball joints, new hub bearings, steering box brace, track bar brace, basically the whole front end and didn't even need a steering stabilizer after.

DW will destroy everything in your front end.

Moral of the story...MOPAR lift is garbage, if you actually off road, get a real front end upgrade
What replacements have you made the the stock steering components so far? Im trying to decied if i need just adjustable track bar and adjustable LCA on my stock JL Unlimited. I've only swapped stock tires for Rubicon tires and Rims.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the wobble on my 18 Sahara. 7300 miles and bone stock. Was this what you guys experienced?

Hello, thanks for posting this video. This is exactly what I experienced today. I didnt know how to explain it because it not death wobble and not bump steer. ANYWHO did you ever resolve this shimmy. And if so HOW?

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Hello, thanks for posting this video. This is exactly what I experienced today. I didnt know how to explain it because it not death wobble and not bump steer. ANYWHO did you ever resolve this shimmy. And if so HOW?
It never was officially resolved. Jeep went through several steps that were basically the least they could do, then started swapping the steering stabilizer. They did that once, then created a fix/recall/tsb on the stabilizer and updated the actual part. That didn't fix it but made it better. Pretty much a band aid. I'm not sure if they have done anything since then though to fix others. It's minimal enough that I tolerate the occasional wobble.

I'm wondering if mine has minimized enough over the miles from wobbling whatever the problematic part was out of tolerance, or my tires wore down the right way 🙃
Sponsored