plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, everyone. This is the most Captain Obvious question ever presented in this forum.

So lets all tell him to get a Bronco just to mess with his head.
His job will be in jeopardy if he drives a Bronco to work.
Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
First of all...

People from your work place read this forum. Don't post anything that they might think is confidential. Management won't like that.

I do get a really nice employee discount(7-10% off MSRP). But I really can’t justify spending $30000. I’ve looked at low mileage TJs and JK but the price difference between the JL isn’t that much.
I believe in taking advantage of work benefits. Make sure to take advantage of the staff discount before you leave the company. It is a part of your pay package.

I’m only 20 years old but I do have a good chunk saved up and I would definitely be able to afford it.
This is the key in my opinion. Make sure you have extra room in your monthly cash flow for this. If the payments will be too close to your monthly salary, save some more before you purchase.

At your age, keeping a good credit score is very important. You will want to purchase a home one day.

But I really can’t justify spending $30000.
You can't justify purchasing a Jeep from a financial perspective. The numbers just don't add up.

You purchase a Jeep because it is a fun vehicle and you will enjoy driving it.

Jeeps are expensive. Buy once and cry once.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I work at the Jeep plant in Toledo. My job is to load all the new Jeep’s in the trains for shipping... and my lord do they drive nice. I’m seriously debating on pulling the trigger and getting a brand new 2 door. All I want is AC added and the sarge green color. I do get a really nice employee discount(7-10% off MSRP). But I really can’t justify spending $30000. I’ve looked at low mileage TJs and JK but the price difference between the JL isn’t that much. I’m only 20 years old but I do have a good chunk saved up and I would definitely be able to afford it. I would appreciate any advice! Ive owned a 98 TJ before and I loved driving it(I regret selling it but I got offered a good amount of cash!)Also, for anyone that has ordered a Jeep in the past couples months that may see this thread, their are about hundreds of wranglers and gladiators just sitting on plant lots waiting to get chips!
Also, You do not have to buy your Wrangler for just your employee discount. You can actually do better ordering a Wrangler from one of the dealers that discount on this forum. As much as 6%-8% under invoice depending on a few stipulations.

I would avoid a used TJ. TJ are nice but all are really old and they were not the most reliable when they were newer. I onwed a '97 TJ and loved it. I loved it too much and it cost me. I calculated the cost for my old TJ I drove for over 200K miles. It definitely would have been a lot cheaper to just buy a new Wrangler and make payments than to keep fixing it. That was with me doing most of the labor. I would buy a new base JL all day long.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
If any of his colleages at the plant read this thread, we will provide hours of entertainment to those who build our Jeeps. They deserve that.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have found in almost every circumstance that zero percent is not the best deal. It may seem like it, but to get zero percent, you almost always have to give up rebates. This causes the amount of debt to be higher vs taking all available rebates. To get all available rebates, usually you have to agree to an interest rate above the going rate. Easily remedied by refinancing with a bank or credit union after a couple of payments are made.

In some rare instances I have seen zero percent offered as the only incentive. But usually it will get people to owe more than they would have otherwise. Plus there is no incentive to pay off early.
It's pretty easy to calculate which deal is better after comparing rebates verses 0% if there are stipulations.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Do yourself a favor and consult with a financial planner. Get a feel for how you are doing financially.
At 20 years old?

Nah, OP should join the subreddit /r/personalfinance and read their wiki and follow the savings flowchart. That alone will get him very financially well off. Consult with one when you're 30-40 when you have kids, more assets, and a career. To do so now would be a waste of money.

Used Wranglers aren't really a great deal but neither are highly-optioned new ones. I got a '18 Sport S 4-door on Halloween 2019 when the 2020MY were starting to arrive for $31k vs. sticker of $37k (only option was hard top).

IMHO if he's got a retirement account started and saving at least 10-15% with company match and has a sufficient emergency fund there's nothing wrong with buying a new vehicle so long as you don't wildly overspend.

I'd recommend a Willys or Sport S, not a Willys Sport or base Sport so it has A/C, power locks/windows, and leather steering wheel. Personally I'd just run a soft top year round if I were trying to save a buck but I would spec the Cold Weather Package because heated steering wheels are amazing in winter. Find a leftover one with the 2022s coming soon and negotiate hard. It's much easier if it's a stick shift, unpopular color, and low-option like mine (it happened to be exactly what I wanted anyway, but the dealer didn't know that). I also don't think you need the LSD for winter (I've never needed it and I live in the Lake Effect snow area).

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
His Bronco might be in jeopardy in the parking lot of a Wrangler plant. :LOL: A close friend used to work at Chrysler. It was his first job as an automotive safety engineer. At the time he drove a VW Rabbit. Not for long. His VW got vandalized repeatedly the first month. He ended up buying a Shelby GLH. All was good after that. He even was able to park in the closer lot.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It's pretty easy to calculate which deal is better after comparing rebates verses 0% if there are stipulations.
It is easy, but many simply don’t know how. If the amount financed is more with zero percent, then your debt load is higher. Often times the payment can be higher too, if you don’t compare beforehand. To those who get excited about zero percent, always check the numbers before making a decision. You may be surprised at what you find.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
At 20 years old?

Nah, OP should join the subreddit /r/personalfinance and read their wiki and follow the savings flowchart. That alone will get him very financially well off. Consult with one when you're 30-40 when you have kids, more assets, and a career. To do so now would be a waste of money.

Used Wranglers aren't really a great deal but neither are highly-optioned new ones. I got a '18 Sport S 4-door on Halloween 2019 when the 2020MY were starting to arrive for $31k vs. sticker of $37k (only option was hard top).

IMHO if he's got a retirement account started and saving at least 10-15% with company match and has a sufficient emergency fund there's nothing wrong with buying a new vehicle so long as you don't wildly overspend.

I'd recommend a Willys or Sport S, not a Willys Sport or base Sport so it has A/C, power locks/windows, and leather steering wheel. Personally I'd just run a soft top year round if I were trying to save a buck but I would spec the Cold Weather Package because heated steering wheels are amazing in winter. Find a leftover one with the 2022s coming soon and negotiate hard. It's much easier if it's a stick shift, unpopular color, and low-option like mine (it happened to be exactly what I wanted anyway, but the dealer didn't know that). I also don't think you need the LSD for winter (I've never needed it and I live in the Lake Effect snow area).
He doesn’t have to negotiate. As an employee at Jeep, he can get what he wants at 8-10% off per his original post.

Again, nothing wrong with a base model, options drive the price up steeply on Wranglers.

Resale/trade value is based on a percentage of new value, and I’d say base and lower trim models probably hold a higher percent in resale. After 10 years condition is the determining factor more than anything else.

I agree with all who say to avoid a used one now, they are ridiculously high.If you search long and hard enough you may find a good deal on an older one that was towed behind a motorhome or someone selling grandpas jeep that has been in the garage for years and is no longer driven.

Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I was 24 years old back when I bought my TJ new. I went for it.....and was very, very happy I did. (I know - apples/oranges when talking about the price difference compared to the JL). Back then, the "Sport" was just behind the Sahara and Rubicon. I wheeled it for a bit stock, then went to 32" and then to 35"

That TJ lasted me 17 years and was still going strong when I sold it this year and bought my JL.

The experiences/memories alone we well worth the decision made. Selling it for 70% of the original sticker was the other benefit!

It's your life. I'm a Dave Ramsey disciple and should never buy a new vehicle. I make exceptions for Wranglers though! :)

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
heres my problem with base models. Say money wasnt an issue. Would you want to drive a base jeep when you could own a loaded wrangler? No

Also hes young which means he will do stupid things so he’ll need LSD. And leather seats are nice for when you hit mud puddles with the top/doors off. Heated seats/wheel for when its just a little bit cool outside.
Yes, I would. In fact, I kind of do already. I could afford a 392 no problem and am perfectly content with my Sport S with auto/LSD/alpine. I could understand your point with a different vehicle but not with a Jeep Wrangler. The utilitarian nature of the Jeep appeals to many. I am not at all a subscriber to paying out the ass for things you don’t need. I, and many others don’t care for leather, a better radio, heated seats, LEDs, etc. The Jeeps incredible heater is the same in a Sport or Rubicon.

BLD negates any true need for LSD. Best thing about it is the axle upgrade. I’m not going to dismiss him for his age, OP seems well reasoned.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I am not at all a subscriber to paying out the ass for things I don’t need. I, and many others don’t care for leather, a better radio, heated seats, LEDs, etc.
Amen! Best post in this thread!! Creature comforts are nice but if I don’t need them why pay for them?

“Because I can afford it” makes no sense. Again, is it really needed?

“Because I want it!” Okay, if it’s wanted and the value proposition makes sense to whatever the end goals are, then get it. It’s not my money, it’s your money. Do as you will.

Deleted member 59498

I was 24 years old back when I bought my TJ new. I went for it.....and was very, very happy I did. (I know - apples/oranges when talking about the price difference compared to the JL). Back then, the "Sport" was just behind the Sahara and Rubicon. I wheeled it for a bit stock, then went to 32" and then to 35"

That TJ lasted me 17 years and was still going strong when I sold it this year and bought my JL.

The experiences/memories alone we well worth the decision made. Selling it for 70% of the original sticker was the other benefit!

It's your life. I'm a Dave Ramsey disciple and should never buy a new vehicle. I make exceptions for Wranglers though! :)

Right I agree.

Ramsey is a little too radical for me. I prefer living not saving everything for living a little later.

My first car was brand new Nissan Pickup, 18 when I bought it was working in a warehouse after school then full time before college. Never had a problem nor do I live in poverty now so all worked out.
Sponsored