Should I get a JL?

SLSalazar19

First Name
Santos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I work at the Jeep plant in Toledo. My job is to load all the new Jeep’s in the trains for shipping... and my lord do they drive nice. I’m seriously debating on pulling the trigger and getting a brand new 2 door. All I want is AC added and the sarge green color. I do get a really nice employee discount(7-10% off MSRP). But I really can’t justify spending $30000. I’ve looked at low mileage TJs and JK but the price difference between the JL isn’t that much. I’m only 20 years old but I do have a good chunk saved up and I would definitely be able to afford it. I would appreciate any advice! Ive owned a 98 TJ before and I loved driving it(I regret selling it but I got offered a good amount of cash!)Also, for anyone that has ordered a Jeep in the past couples months that may see this thread, their are about hundreds of wranglers and gladiators just sitting on plant lots waiting to get chips!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hey Santos, cool that you're part of the crew that gets these vehicles started to their destinations. I'd say get it, especially since you get employee deals.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I work at the Jeep plant in Toledo. My job is to load all the new Jeep’s in the trains for shipping... and my lord do they drive nice. I’m seriously debating on pulling the trigger and getting a brand new 2 door. All I want is AC added and the sarge green color. I do get a really nice employee discount(7-10% off MSRP). But I really can’t justify spending $30000. I’ve looked at low mileage TJs and JK but the price difference between the JL isn’t that much. I’m only 20 years old but I do have a good chunk saved up and I would definitely be able to afford it. I would appreciate any advice! Ive owned a 98 TJ before and I loved driving it(I regret selling it but I got offered a good amount of cash!)Also, for anyone that has ordered a Jeep in the past couples months that may see this thread, their are about hundreds of wranglers and gladiators just sitting on plant lots waiting to get chips!
What kind of question is that? Hell yeah get one! You came to a Jeep enthusiast site for sensible advice? We’re clearly a bad influence!

Gregj

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Welcome to the forum!

I have owned a TJ, JK, JLR. Each generation is substantially better than the last. The JL is by far the best Wrangler yet. I highly recommend one if it is within your budget. Maybe a base Willys with A/C in Sarge Green? Good luck!

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Before you spend $30k on a car, spend $10 on this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Surprising-Americas/dp/1589795474

If you come to a JL forum and ask that question of course you are going to get a biased answer. If you go to the Canon camera section of a photography website and ask “are Canon cameras any good?” you are going to get biased answers from an audience that had already pre-selected themselves. If you go to a Toyota forum and ask “should I buy a Wrangler?” you will get the standard “yeah, and have your buddy being along his Tacoma or 4Runner so that you won’t be stranded in the wild by the unreliability of the Jeep.”

Since you live in the Midwest, you’ll probably be able to handle lots of the terrain without having to get a Jeep Wrangler. You could do very well with a used compact pickup truck, the lighter the weight, the better. Doesn’t even have to be 4 wheel drive. Some sandbags in the rear over the axle, a bit of momentum, the light weight of the vehicle, a shovel, and picking a good line will get you most places you want to go. If you are worried then get a winch. I know there are some nice hills in the southern parts of Ohio, but I’d recommend you head up to the Huron Nationa Forest or Manistee National Forest in Michigan for some off pavement fun.

Don’t underestimate the benefit of a lighter weight vehicle when leaving the pavement.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
If I were in your position, I would probably use my employee discount to get a good deal on a JL, drive it like I stole it for a couple of months, and then flip it at a profit. Pay off the loan, put the profit back, then repeat. At the end of the process, you will have had your fun with a bunch of new toys, you can experiment to find out what features really matter to you, and then you can just pay cash for the one that you actually build out and enjoy long term.

Who the hell am I kidding? If I were in your position, I would probably use my employee discount to get a good deal on a JL, drive it until it's worn out, and then trade it on a new one, carrying over part of the original balance, until I end up owing $250,000.

Do as I say, not as I do, young whippersnapper! Now get off my lawn! <shakes fist> :CWL:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Do plan to move up with Jeep and increase your pay, or do have other plans for the future? A car loan these days is typically 6 years now. At 20 that seems like a long time to have any definite plans, so kinda have an idea of where you will be in a few years. UAW pay (if you are UAW) should be pretty decent.

Do you have your own place and are you paying the bills and putting a little away? New cars can make a guy broke real quick if the budget isn't figured out. If you do decide that you can swing it, work on getting it paid off as fast as you can. THE BEST MOD is a paid for Jeep. Don't let all of these threads about lift kits and big tires make you start spending money in your head, then clicking on Affirm to make payments on shit you don't need. If something breaks, mod it with something better.

I'd say that if you have $10-15k to put down, and it doesn't put you in any other kind of bind, then go for it. If you have zero investments started, use that money to get an account going, then wait on the Jeep. Hopefully though, you are paying into a 401k/458k type of account through your work.

Back to the Jeep. It's cool that you work there and if you buy one you will be able to take it for it's very first drive. You get to see them all, so at least having to have a loaded up one hasn't ruined your thoughts. As stated above, spend a little more and get a Willys Sport. You'll get slightly larger tires, the black wheels look good with Sarge Green, you'll have a rear limited slip for those snowy northern Ohio days/weeks/months It has better shocks and brakes for those pot holed and heaved expansion joint roads and it looks just cool enough that you'll be satisfied with it as is for awhile.

Or you could just build one like this guy did

Sponsored

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Depending on your income, this jeep loan may negatively effect your future because of your age.

-If youre planning on college, but dont want a car payment when youre in school.
-or maybe you live at home but dont want to be contained there until the 7 year loan is up

DONT BUY A BASE MODEL. Ive owned a couple base model vehicles and believe me once the novelty is up, youll constantly be looking at more loaded versions wishing you had it. And the novelty passes sooner when you own a plain vehicle.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
DONT BUY A BASE MODEL. Ive owned a couple base model vehicles and believe me once the novelty is up, youll constantly be looking at more loaded versions wishing you had it. And the novelty passes sooner when you own a plain vehicle.
Strongly disagree, especially with a Jeep and his age. OP, it's your money, do as you wish. The difference between a base Wrangler and a loaded one is minor. A Sport can do 90, maybe 95% of what a Rubicon can and more importantly it's still a convertible where the doors could come off. A Jeep is fun because it's a Jeep, not because of a better radio, heated seats, LED lights, etc. A base Jeep is one of the best buys around, though I couldn't do without power windows or A/C personally.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Should I get a JL? 183E1F37-468B-4B4A-AC41-55C3FBF2CD48

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
I would take a close look at all the options with what they include. Like trailer tow/ accessory switches for lights ect. BTW thanks for doing a good job of loading my jeep with no damage!

OP
OP

SLSalazar19

First Name
Santos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Welcome to the forum!

I have owned a TJ, JK, JLR. Each generation is substantially better than the last. The JL is by far the best Wrangler yet. I highly recommend one if it is within your budget. Maybe a base Willys with A/C in Sarge Green? Good luck!
I was looking at a willys as well... the only thing about them is the black grill up front! Plus trynna stay as low on price as possible if I decide to get one! The Jeep fever is real!
Sponsored