Roam sidestep Rust

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You guys do realize there is a difference between correcting a defect in a new model and making things right with the people who purchased your product prior to the correction. The new product may be great but the company is not reputable. If they were they would recall the POS rails they sold to us and refund/replace at their cost - not ours. I'm driving a beautiful 2018 wrangler with rusty steps. There is no excuse for this.
I have the body mount steps with Line-X coating about 2 months old now. Rust started showing through the seems after 2.5 weeks on both sides. After a couple weeks of back and forth we finally agreed on a refund of $200 for me to get then striped and coated. Not the best solution, but far better then the other they wanted to do.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mjfloyd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
My gen 1 steps were LineX’d and are rusting at the seams again too.

Looks like the new e coat is rusting as well.

OP
OP

Mjfloyd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
The latest version and all frame mounted ones are ecoated (unless you opt for bare metal or have them have LineX applied). OminousSkitter has posted a picture of his frame mounted and e coated rock rails showing surface rust.

The gen 1 were apparently crap coated - they had powder coating that was so bad that roam changed the coating company and the process to e coating.

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The latest version and all frame mounted ones are ecoated (unless you opt for bare metal or have them have LineX applied). OminousSkitter has posted a picture of his frame mounted and e coated rock rails showing surface rust.

The gen 1 were apparently crap coated - they had powder coating that was so bad that roam changed the coating company and the process to e coating.
I guess I was lucky? I was definitely one of the first frame mounted rails, got them line-x coated before I installed them. They've been through Florida rain since I got them, and there's no rust to be seen. (shrug)

Sponsored

Brian001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JL
Ive had mine since May of this year and have had no rust issues. Mine are the e-coated ones

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Sadly, I too am having a rust issue on my @ROAM side steps. I had them installed on 12/24/19 and just noticed that there are spots of rust on both side. I just reached out to Anthony. Ugh.
Did you get the e-coated version? Let us know how it turns out. It’ll be interesting to see if you get a better offer than others given yours are only a month old.

Ishke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I installed these shortly after purchasing my 18 JLUR new. After half a winter, there was rust everywhere. Now I've got these eye-sores of sidesteps on a like-new Jeep. Will be replacing with new different side steps this spring.

I purchased them shortly after they released them. Don't believe there was any other coating options for those in the rust belt. Quite disappointing but it is what it is.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I installed these shortly after purchasing my 18 JLUR new. After half a winter, there was rust everywhere. Now I've got these eye-sores of sidesteps on a like-new Jeep. Will be replacing with new different side steps this spring.

I purchased them shortly after they released them. Don't believe there was any other coating options for those in the rust belt. Quite disappointing but it is what it is.
Sucks they aren’t working out. I love mine but did get them with the updated coating.

Wonder if it would be cheaper to get them powder coated vs buying a different/new set, especially if you like how they look.

Sponsored

Dzwart06

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sucks they aren’t working out. I love mine but did get them with the updated coating.

Wonder if it would be cheaper to get them powder coated vs buying a different/new set, especially if you like how they look.
I bought the latest (and greatest?!?) version they had in July. Put them on in August. By mid October (not even 3 months later) and no salt, they were starting to rust. It would be cheaper to have had an option for them to ship bare and I have them treated and coated then to now try to blast off their crappy finish and try to refinish them. And completely should not be necessary. I am pretty disgusted and disappointed.

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I bought the latest (and greatest?!?) version they had in July. Put them on in August. By mid October (not even 3 months later) and no salt, they were starting to rust. It would be cheaper to have had an option for them to ship bare and I have them treated and coated then to now try to blast off their crappy finish and try to refinish them. And completely should not be necessary. I am pretty disgusted and disappointed.
it is sad. I keep seeing their new products and all I can think of is beautifully shaped aftermarket parts covered in rust.

Tl5glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
Fireman
Good luck getting anything from them they suck my original roam side steps are off my Jeep now, after 2 winters their is rust everywhere. They were NOT accommodating one bit on the rust. I hope they go out of business. I would never recommend to anyone.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Since it has only been 3 months, I would contact my credit card company to see if I could do a charge back. If nothing else, it will get Roam's attention.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW - i have the e-coated ones AND i slopped POR15 all over mine.....they just started to show some rusting at the seams as well. I just painted over them again, but these things SUCK for rust. I thought i would be able to combat it with the POR.
Sponsored