Roam sidestep Rust

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I guess I was lucky. I Line-X'd mine as soon as they arrived, installed them at least a year ago. And there's no rust that I can see. <shrug>
congrats to you. I paid for them to line x and there’s rust at every seam.
Sponsored

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
I love the look and build of my Roam frame mounted rock rails. But mine came with rust at the seams right out of the box and that was with thier new finishing dipping process. I touched them up with a black 2x primer plus spray paint from Rustoleum. Mine is garaged in a heated garage and it is 1 year old. 2019 JLUR that only has 2,600 miles on it. Clean as the day it was picked up and they are now showing those areas slightly with rust. Although I knew the rust would come through it still is shitty for them to rust at all. I guess it is just a bad process they are using. My old 1991 YJ had cheap step ups on for 19 years and took 10 years to show any rust but they were only about $150. These should have been coated better from the manufacturer. I know they are trying but apparently its not working so figure it out. To many complaints.

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
I bought mine last year and they were back ordered for a while. The folks at ROAM told me they where switching powder coat companies due to rust issues. Mine are spotless. Although they do get mud trapped in the bottom part and you can see it through the holes on top. Kind of hard to clean that out.

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I bought mine last year and they were back ordered for a while. The folks at ROAM told me they where switching powder coat companies due to rust issues. Mine are spotless. Although they do get mud trapped in the bottom part and you can see it through the holes on top. Kind of hard to clean that out.
mine are the “switched” powder coated and “switched” bedliner. They have rust everywhere. @ROAM should be ashamed to release a product like this.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I finally pulled the roam rails off my wife’s JL and replaced them with. Once I can find these a new home, I’ll be officially done and free of any roam products.

To the folks with rusting issues, I’m hopeful they will stand behind the product but I’d prepare yourself and wallet to having to correct the issues correctly.

I wonder if theyre made in an area or exposed to salt water at some point early on....

brett

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
I finally pulled the roam rails off my wife’s JL and replaced them with. Once I can find these a new home, I’ll be officially done and free of any roam products.

To the folks with rusting issues, I’m hopeful they will stand behind the product but I’d prepare yourself and wallet to having to correct the issues correctly.

I wonder if theyre made in an area or exposed to salt water at some point early on....

brett
Replaced them with what??

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
I just installed a set of Roam frame rails a couple weeks ago. Before I installed them I put several coats of rattle can undercoat inside and under rails. The only thing I didn’t coat was the areas you see when standing beside the Jeep. We will see if it helps. I live in the south were salt isn’t an issue.

Sponsored

Dzwart06

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I just installed a set of Roam frame rails a couple weeks ago. Before I installed them I put several coats of rattle can undercoat inside and under rails. The only thing I didn’t coat was the areas you see when standing beside the Jeep. We will see if it helps. I live in the south were salt isn’t an issue.
The area where the cut out for the step meats the step is where you see the rust start first atleast for me it was with the latest version of the frame mounted ones.

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
Any new problems with Roam side steps from folks that have purchased them recently. I've been peppering them with questions and thinking about getting the body mount version for a 2 door JL. Here's what I was just told re: rust issues.

"After complaints of people buying the bare metal, and leaving it to rust, we have decided not to do bare metal on most of our items. We can still bed line just about anything. It will be $100 extra on the 2 door. The e-coat is on all products except for the body mounted 4 door steps."

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Any new problems with Roam side steps from folks that have purchased them recently. I've been peppering them with questions and thinking about getting the body mount version for a 2 door JL. Here's what I was just told re: rust issues.

"After complaints of people buying the bare metal, and leaving it to rust, we have decided not to do bare metal on most of our items. We can still bed line just about anything. It will be $100 extra on the 2 door. The e-coat is on all products except for the body mounted 4 door steps."
You may want to start a new thread with this question. Most people that “subscribe” to this one are unlikely to give Roam another penny. As I’ve said before, if you decide to purchase, do not expect good customer service or acceptable options to make things right if there is a problem.
Sponsored