Sponsored

Rear Bumper Integrated LED Reverse Lights

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
Orlace

Oracle loaded a new video on their website for people with a steel bumper. They actually expect you to dremel the metal housing away to make it fit........hmmmmmm
I realize the custom fitting of the light. I was one of the early installers and put a very small crack in mine. I really did not want to grind the bumper or light. Seeing how a few did grind the light down with no issues then I will just do that so they are not cracked. They work great and I will just leave them installed if they do nothing. The crack is not worse, no condensation etc. However they reached out to me and said they want to make it right but nothing as of yet.
Sponsored

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Frustrating for sure. But, technically, you have 2 options...dremel the light to make it fit or return it for a full refund. How bad do you want it? It's not like they are manufacturing these themselves. I am guessing they ordered a bunch of these and it is not easy to address this issue internally. But they are offering to make everyone whole. What else do you expect?
Not entirely true and remember they are the ones making aftermarket parts. Acting like FCA should fix their bumper and editing their install video is a silly response. Maybe JeepCares will help them with that one. I say put that energy into your product. They stopped short on their due diligence before opening it up to the public. Either way it’s definitely up to them, but I would say they are about 1/16” from their only complaint being it’s back ordered. It is their name on the product not mine.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Frustrating for sure. But, technically, you have 2 options...dremel the light to make it fit or return it for a full refund. How bad do you want it? It's not like they are manufacturing these themselves. I am guessing they ordered a bunch of these and it is not easy to address this issue internally. But they are offering to make everyone whole. What else do you expect?
Why dont they make an 3D printed housing instead of Aluminum?

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
@ORACLElights, what is being done to resolve the folks that have stock steel bumpers drivers side clearance issues?
Hey there, please review these two posts below and reach out with additional questions. We have added resources to the product page for steel bumper owners.

ORACLElights said:
Again, these were designed to fit the OE specs exactly and were test-fit on the plastic bumper. Since only some steel bumpers have this issue due to this stamping irregularity, the ones that have issue will customize the fit their bumper needs. Adjusting the sizing away from the proper specs could cause fitment issues in the opposite direction.

This is notated on the product page for future customers.

But you'll see below that if you are unable/unwilling to do this, we are accepting returns of uninstalled product. We're happy to help with this if needed.
We understand the frustration with the fitment on the metal bumper. We have extensive quality control processes in place including a detail PPAP for this part. When tooling was completed we confirmed these part match the factory reflectors in every measurable way. This was confirmed in production and in post production. We can confirm that our part matches the factory parts AS DESIGNED accurately.

The issue honestly seems to be with the FCA stamping, the LH and RH openings simply do not appear to match on the factory metal bumper as they do on the plastic bumper. This could be for several possible issues with the stamp die or equipment on their end but no point of us speculating on that.

Our parts are designed properly to our spec, there is not an issue there. We have been very upfront and honest when the question was asked about compatibility on the metal bumper since the very beginning. We explained early in this process that we did not test fit these in the metal bumper, only the plastic.

We have been developing these off the plastic bumper but after looking at the part# it appears that the metal and plastic bumpers have the same reflector part#s: 68281936AB (RH Reflector) / 68281937AB (LH Reflector)”
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...egrated-led-reverse-lights.55888/post-1243030

As stated above, our parts match the original parts that go into the metal bumper. A deficiency in the stamped metal on the factory bumper is causing the fitment to be tighter than necessary.

If you have a metal bumper and are unwilling or unable to make adjustments to get additional clearance for fitment then do not attempt to install please return the unused product to us, go to returns.oracleligths.com to do so.

For the 4 members above who have cracked their lens we can also accept a return on these for a full refund. Go to returns.oracleligths.com to complete the return.

Is there is another suggestion please let us know. There was an unforeseen issue with the original part. We are happy to refund for anyone who is does not want to make modifications to accommodate.

Why dont they make an 3D printed housing instead of Aluminum?
Aluminum is important for dissipating the thermal load of these lights. The lights are very bright for such a small package, because of this there are some very specific thermal tolerances we need to be able to manage in order to be sure the product has the longevity you would expect. By making the housing out of aluminum we are able to use the body of the light to dissipate the heat load and wick heat away from the LEDs.

To be clear the reason we can't just change the design to conform with the stamping is that there is a mold for these aluminum parts. Making a new mold would take several months because we already have a backlog of molds for other projects. If you are willing to wait months to avoid having to file down an edge then we can accept a return and you can purchase again when the revision takes place. Please note you would need to return within the 30 day return window for this option.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Had mine installed to Aux 2 by a local shop and they turned out great. He knew about the fit problem going in and trimmed the steel bumper for an easier installation. He did point out that he thought my drivers side light had a production defect in it though. Looks like the top was melted almost? Odd. I didn't realize how much salt I picked up on a 10 mile drive home until I looked at these pics! Gotta love Chicago ... not.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Bumper Integrated LED Reverse Lights JL BU Lights

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Bumper Integrated LED Reverse Lights JL BU Light DS

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Hey there, please review these two posts below and reach out with additional questions. We have added resources to the product page for steel bumper owners.

Is there is another suggestion please let us know. There was an unforeseen issue with the original part. We are happy to refund for anyone who is does not want to make modifications to accommodate.

Aluminum is important for dissipating the thermal load of these lights. The lights are very bright for such a small package, because of this there are some very specific thermal tolerances we need to be able to manage in order to be sure the product has the longevity you would expect. By making the housing out of aluminum we are able to use the body of the light to dissipate the heat load and wick heat away from the LEDs.

To be clear the reason we can't just change the design to conform with the stamping is that there is a mold for these aluminum parts. Making a new mold would take several months because we already have a backlog of molds for other projects. If you are willing to wait months to avoid having to file down an edge then we can accept a return and you can purchase again when the revision takes place. Please note you would need to return within the 30 day return window for this option.
Thank you Oracle!

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Had mine installed to Aux 2 by a local shop and they turned out great. He knew about the fit problem going in and trimmed the steel bumper for an easier installation. He did point out that he thought my drivers side light had a production defect in it though. Looks like the top was melted almost? Odd.

I would definitely send the left one back to Oracle for a replacement. No way that one should have made it through their QC check and sent to you.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
For this Back-up light project on a 2021 JL, I decided against T-tapping into existing wire. Instead, I made a pigtail jumper (extension) to go between the left rear taillight assembly and the Jeep wiring harness. This way, I can remove this, put the original connectors back together, and it's in factory fresh condition.

That connection uses 12-pin MX-150 Molex connector. I am connecting my new LED backup lights to this pigtail using Anderson Powerpole connectors, but it's just as easy to use traditional butt connectors. Both are shown here. Also can use spade or bullet connectors.

When buying the supplies, I bought extra. And I’ve spent a lot of money on release tools and crimping tools for open barrel Molex connectors and release tools and crimpers for Anderson Powerpole connectors. And I’ve ruined a few connectors learning how to crimp them. Haha.

So if I can save others the expense and headaches of trying to do it themselves, and instead provide these to them, I can do that. (Notice the striped wiring I’m using to match the factory wire colors). Price would be $30 plus shipping.

Or I can point you to the components, tools and wire, and you can build it yourself. I have about $250 invested, $100 of that is for the Anderson Powerpole kit that I’ll be using for radio installations.

I would welcome your thoughts and comments.

ETA: I ordered more components because the demand was high, and I may be ordering more if demand continues.

10dd0985-9ffa-4b39-a7ca-8bc4dd2d3291-jpeg.jpg

05364f5e-f190-4aee-8ae0-19faf1309a18-jpeg.jpg

The open-barrel crimp has to be perfect, or it won’t slide into the Molex connector.
cdcf545c-9b69-47d1-b747-aa99ca0d55ca-jpeg.jpg

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
For this Back-up light project on a 2021 JL, I decided against T-tapping into existing wire. Instead, I made a pigtail jumper (extension) to go between the left rear taillight assembly and the Jeep wiring harness. This way, I can remove this, put the original connectors back together, and it's in factory fresh condition.

That connection uses 12-pin MX-150 Molex connector. I am connecting my new LED backup lights to this pigtail using Anderson Powerpole connectors, but it's just as easy to use traditional butt connectors. Both are shown here. Also can use spade or bullet connectors.

When buying the supplies, I bought extra. And I’ve spent a lot of money on release tools and crimping tools for open barrel Molex connectors and release tools and crimpers for Anderson Powerpole connectors. And I’ve ruined a few connectors learning how to crimp them. Haha.

So if I can save others the expense and headaches of trying to do it themselves, and instead provide these to them, I can do that. (Notice the striped wiring I’m using to match the factory wire colors). Price would be $30 plus shipping.

Or I can point you to the components, tools and wire, and you can build it yourself. I have about $250 invested, $100 of that is for the Anderson Powerpole kit that I’ll be using for radio installations.

I would welcome your thoughts and comments.

ETA: I ordered more components because the demand was high, and I may be ordering more if demand continues.

10dd0985-9ffa-4b39-a7ca-8bc4dd2d3291-jpeg.jpg

05364f5e-f190-4aee-8ae0-19faf1309a18-jpeg.jpg

The open-barrel crimp has to be perfect, or it won’t slide into the Molex connector.
cdcf545c-9b69-47d1-b747-aa99ca0d55ca-jpeg.jpg
Sweet. Let us know when you ramp up and are ready to start selling.

Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Folks, let me be clear. I am not looking to start a second career, I have a good job and will be retiring soon. I just saw this as something I wanted for myself, and when done, thought I could help others do it themselves, or do if for them.

I don't want to get in trouble here for selling products. So I will shut up on here, PM only if interested.

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
I would definitely send the left one back to Oracle for a replacement. No way that one should have made it through their QC check and sent to you.
No idea how that would even happen but yes, if that arrived to you that way please message us your order# and we will get this replaced for you.

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Oracle! I sent you an email and did refer to this post as I couldn’t attach any pics in my email to you.

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Awesome product Oracle. Had to sand down the driver light but it fit without forcing too hard. Wired my mine to aux panel. Great light output.

51F0B95D-0C6C-4257-8B7B-70581D8CAEE7.jpeg
Sponsored