Rear Bumper Integrated LED Reverse Lights

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Yep - I just cracked the left light clear casing trying to mount it into the steel bumper. My experiences have been similar to many others on the forum who have reported the poor fitment on the driver’s side for the steel bumper. Passenger side dropped right into place with nothing other than a gentle press and definitely didn’t require any force.

I tried an aluminum lubricant on both bumper and light bezel, and also a jelly-based lubricant. Didn’t help. I aligned as perfectly as possible and gave several increasingly harder presses and no luck. Apparently, steel + aluminum + plastic + force = plastic proves to be the weak link.

After installing the right side light so easily, I don’t think my driver side will fit unless I Dremel a few millimeters off the casing similar to what a previous poster had to do.

I’m going to contact @ORACLElights and I hope they’re willing to make this right for me and able to make this right for future customers. Ugh.
Sponsored

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Yep - I just cracked the left light clear casing trying to mount it into the steel bumper. My experiences have been similar to many others on the forum who have reported the poor fitment on the driver’s side for the steel bumper. Passenger side dropped right into place with nothing other than a gentle press and definitely didn’t require any force.

I tried an aluminum lubricant on both bumper and light bezel, and also a jelly-based lubricant. Didn’t help. I aligned as perfectly as possible and gave several increasingly harder presses and no luck. Apparently, steel + aluminum + plastic + force = plastic proves to be the weak link.

After installing the right side light so easily, I don’t think my driver side will fit unless I Dremel a few millimeters off the casing similar to what a previous poster had to do.

I’m going to contact @ORACLElights and I hope they’re willing to make this right for me and able to make this right for future customers. Ugh.
I have installed mine and the drivers side was a tight fit, but it went in. It is however tight so I wonder if it would later crack under applied stress. When you ask Oracle, perhaps ask them how the will handle this for customers as well... Thx!

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
I agree Oracle should do something. Many have a crack. I do feel there is a fitment issue with the drivers side. I do not feel it is a user install issue at all. The passenger side went in like butter. My crack is so minor I really do not care myself but a product should fit as advertised. I am a surprised how they have not said anything in the threads stating the issue.

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree Oracle should do something. Many have a crack. I do feel there is a fitment issue with the drivers side. I do not feel it is a user install issue at all. The passenger side went in like butter. My crack is so minor I really do not care myself but a product should fit as advertised. I am a surprised how they have not said anything in the threads stating the issue.
I’ll have to test the light tomorrow to see if I damaged the actual LED functioning - It’s a hairline crack right down the middle and on the inside only - it doesn’t appear to have cracked through the outer layer. But, my OCDness knows it’s there, and even though others will never even notice it, it’ll be the first thing I look for every time I walk behind my Jeep - Haha!

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Serious question/suggestion for everyone with a Rubicon steel rear bumper. Why is everyone still installing the driver‘s side light when it appears that 100% of those that have already done so without modifying it or the opening in their bumper, has cracked the plastic case? It should be quite obvious by now that there‘s a problem that @ORACLElights needs to address ASAP. There is strength in numbers so everyone needs to contact them and request that they modify and replace the driver‘s side light at their expense. Their existing inventory can still be used on the non-metal bumpers.

Sponsored

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Serious question/suggestion for everyone with a Rubicon steel rear bumper. Why is everyone still installing the driver‘s side light when it appears that 100% of those that have already done so without modifying it or the opening in their bumper, has cracked the plastic case? It should be quite obvious by now that there‘s a problem that @ORACLElights needs to address ASAP. There is strength in numbers so everyone needs to contact them and request that they modify and replace the driver‘s side light at their expense. Their existing inventory can still be used on the non-metal bumpers.
I can’t answer for everybody - I can answer for me. I read numerous posts from steel bumper owners that it’s a “really tight fit” on the driver side but most posting seem to have done it successfully despite the tight squeeze. Some had to give a hard shove. Some had to hit it with their palm. Some just said it was much tighter than the other side but it worked. I had a different experience than you reading various threads... or we’ve read different threads at different times. Your ”100% (broke their light)” comment wasn’t my experience reading what I found. I only read a few posts of actual cracked lights prior to my attempt with many more successful ones. They are probably out there, but I wasn’t actively looking for them until after I cracked it. I saw enough successful efforts posted beforehand to assume that it’s like most products - most get it to work, some get it to work with some added headache and tweaking, and a few fail... either by a defective product or installer error.

What I should’ve done - install the right side first. Then I’d know how different both were. I read both were tight and the driver side really tight. In my experience, the right side was actually super easy and even had a very minor wiggle once seated - it wasn’t a tight fit. If I would’ve done that, I would‘ve recognized that the driver side is not in fact a “really tight fit” but something seriously wrong with the design.

Granted, these things haven’t been out that long (Dec?), so we’re still early in what’s “installer error” versus product defect versus design error. If nothing changes and people are still trying to jam these things in 6 months from now despite 3x the comments about issues, then I’d feel similarly as you.

Hope that helps provide one perspective and one suggestion based on my mistake!

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
I just want to pass this along to the group here. As I mentioned in my video review, I called Oracle the day I did my install, outlining the issue(s) I had with regards to the driver side light install as well as my solution.

They were very pleasant to speak with, I was put on hold as the rep spoke to someone else about my issue. We she returned she stated that they knew owners with steel bumpers were having install issues on the drivers side, but at the time she could not offer a solution.

-Steven

Sponsored

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First, thanks for the suggestion on the posI-tap use and the video. I’ve never seen them and ordered them for this install and future ones because of your recommendation!

Second, you got me seriously doubting myself after your question - perhaps I had too much cheap red wine during my late night modding researching and purchasing!

So, I went through this 27-page thread again for peace-of-mind just to see if I was bat shit crazy or not. Granted people didn’t receive these until Dec 24th which was around page 18(?)...

# of posts where steel bumper was specified = 16 (w/ 3 implied at the bottom):

Steel bumper + no fit issue + success (no damage) = 5
Steel bumper + tight fit + success (no damage) = 6
Steel bumper + tight fit + crack = 4
Steel bumper + dremel + success = 1

3 of the four cracked references were in a row on the same day so I must have missed that day having already ordered the product and researched the install process. Wish I would’ve saw them before attempting this - I might’ve hit pause!

Undisclosed bumper + tight fit + success (no damage) = 3
(possibly steel bumpers because of the reference of tight fit, especially on driver’s side)

Hopefully this type of feedback and discussion will get Oracle to revisit their product design and make adjustments. I expect the crack tally to keep rising until a redesign is offered.

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
We understand th frustration with the fitment on the metal bumper. We have extensive quality control processes in place including a detail PPAP for this part. When tooling was completed we confirmed these part match the factory reflectors in every measurable way. This was confirmed in production and in post production. We can confirm that our part matches the factory parts AS DESIGNED accurately.

The issue honestly seems to be with the FCA stamping, the LH and RH openings simply do not appear to match on the factory metal bumper as they do on the plastic bumper. This could be for several possible issues with the stamp die or equipment on their end but no point of us speculating on that.

Our parts are designed properly to our spec, there is not an issue there. We have been very upfront and honest when the question was asked about compatibility on the metal bumper since the very beginning. We explained early in this process that we did not test fit these in the metal bumper, only the plastic.

We have been developing these off the plastic bumper but after looking at the part# it appears that the metal and plastic bumpers have the same reflector part#s: 68281936AB (RH Reflector) / 68281937AB (LH Reflector)”
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...egrated-led-reverse-lights.55888/post-1243030

As stated above, our parts match the original parts that go into the metal bumper. A deficiency in the stamped metal on the factory bumper is causing the fitment to be tighter than necessary.

If you have a metal bumper and are unwilling or unable to make adjustments to get additional clearance for fitment then do not attempt to install please return the unused product to us, go to returns.oracleligths.com to do so.

For the 4 members above who have cracked their lens we can also accept a return on these for a full refund. Go to returns.oracleligths.com to complete the return.

Last edited:

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
We understand th frustration with the fitment on the metal bumper. We have extensive quality control processes in place including a detail PPAP for this part. When tooling was completed we confirmed these part match the factory reflectors in every measurable way. This was confirmed in production and in post production. We can confirm that our part matches the factory parts AS DESIGNED accurately.

The issue honestly seems to be with the FCA stamping, the LH and RH openings simply do not appear to match on the factory metal bumper as they do on the plastic bumper. This could be for several possible issues with the stamp die or equipment on their end but no point of us speculating on that.

Our parts are designed properly to our spec, there is not an issue there. We have been very upfront and honest when the question was asked about compatibility on the metal bumper since the very beginning. We explained early in this process that we did not test fit these in the metal bumper, only the plastic.

We have been developing these off the plastic bumper but after looking at the part# it appears that the metal and plastic bumpers have the same reflector part#s: 68281936AB (RH Reflector) / 68281937AB (LH Reflector)”
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...egrated-led-reverse-lights.55888/post-1243030

As stated above, our parts match the original parts that go into the metal bumper. A deficiency in the stamped metal on the factory bumper is causing the fitment to be tighter than necessary.

If you have a metal bumper and are unwilling or unable to make adjustments to get additional clearance for fitment then do not attempt to install please return the unused product to us, go to returns.oracleligths.com to do so.
If this is your stance you really want to blame FCA then you need to change your website info. No where does the description state for plastic bumpers only. Your direct website description is below. It should clearly state this is not for OEM steel bumpers without modification. Also to say only return the unused items, how about the used items for those who honestly did not know of the steel bumper fitment issue?

Direct from the website, sounds to me like you only need a JL.

"Not satisfied with the light output of your Jeep JL backup lights? A common complaint is low visibility when backing up in a Jeep JL because the factory reverse lights (even with LED tail lights) do not produce enough light for the backup camera to work well in the dark.

ORACLE Lighting has developed a reverse light that seamlessly integrates into the bumper reflector area to provide over 1000 additional lumens when backing up in a Jeep JL. Replace the factory bumper reflectors with high-output replacement auxiliary LED reverse lights from ORACLE Lighting. These durable lights feature an aluminum housing with a PMMA lens, and these compact lights pack a big punch with a total of 22 high-powered LEDs to improve your Jeep JL bumper reverse lights.

Ready to install out of the box, this kit ensures you will have rear visibility in your Jeep JL when it matters! The installation uses factory mounting hardware, and these lights tie into the reverse light wiring with the included T-taps.

Note: Will not fit Willy’s or Sport models without rear bumper reflectors."

Will you offer driver side only replacements at some point for the cracked light or only another full kit?

Last edited:

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

For the 4 members above who have cracked their lens we can also accept a return on these for a full refund. Go to returns.oracleligths.com to complete the return.
Thanks @ORACLElights for jumping back into the discussion and acknowledging our challenges. JP responded to my email last night with a similar and helpful explanation and a photo showing the adjustments required which looks like a steel file shaving off some of the bevel along the back and corners.

Now that I understand the necessary adjustments and how to do them, I’d rather get a replacement left light versus a full refund. Can you PM me whether or not I can return the cracked left light for a replacement one and then I’ll do the necessary shaving? I guess it’s not much different than just returning the entire product and then repurchasing a new kit afterwards and doing the modifications - it may just save time. Appreciate your willingness to take the return.

Here’s the pic showing the modifications needed for steel bumpers...
Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Bumper Integrated LED Reverse Lights A19035B1-DD82-408C-8CD5-DC0825EE508A

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
Okay, I am in the middle of this install on a steel bumper. I chose to take the bumper apart previously since I was considering the rigid lights so I got to play around with the best install. Here is what I believe would be the easiest install...

1. Remove bumper.
2. Remove license plate trim. Just a few plastic tabs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Bumper Integrated LED Reverse Lights 62CF267F-1BBF-4507-BF63-C4361BEA70FE

3. Remove 7mm screw on the inside of the bumper holding in the reflectors.
4. Remove the plastic tab on that same bracket holding in the reflectors.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Bumper Integrated LED Reverse Lights 1EEC4FB5-5B05-45C1-9F23-4EF013A06288

5. Steps 3 & 4 will allow you to pop off the bracket enough to remove the reflectors from inside the bumper.
6. Feed wiring through hole and install Oracle lights the same way you removed the reflectors. Note removing the license plate trim gives good access to the driver’s side now.
7. Reinstall bracket, reinstall screw, and reinstall the tab.
8. Reinstall license plate trim.
9. Reinstall bumper.

Steps 2-8 took 30 to 40 minutes.

Now I still have connect everything but I didn’t have to trim or modify the lights (or bumper). Like everyone has noted the driver’s side light wouldn’t fit from the outside of the bumper without modifications.
Sponsored