Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Granite Crystal Willys - 6 Speed Manual
I think we violently agree for the most part. The design is crappy (not a manufacturing defect) and they all operate the same with a majority of the air flowing right up the middle. I just find it hard to believe they “intended” it to work that way. Im sure the top level design requirement was to provide air to the entire windshield in order to defrost it more efficiently. If they intended it to just blow on the middle then why extend the ducts all the way on both sides? I also agree that any of your three options would be superior to the current design! Has this forum kinda decided on who’s workaround is the best option? I obviously need one.
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 28AE3AF2-AE7D-4C33-914C-51ED2710652C
Timely email I got today.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
We're in need of high-level technical drawing expertise for an internal training document. My people will reach out to your people.

;)

aville65

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bug, 09 Jetta, 24 Tiguan R-Line, 21 JL Sport S
Occupation
Retired
The “Oh Shit” handle above the glove box=defroster towel holder, had one in my 69 Bug, no defrost in that either.

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 4F4B5B6F-8DF2-43A1-9622-9FC25D0E328E
Just awesome. I know it’s old news to you 2018 folks. Us 2021’s get to experience it for the first time though. Kinda takes the fun out of driving in the snow.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I know this is old from when it started but they didn't resolve this in 2022 either, I tested and my sales guy said, "that's how it works"

Sponsored

X-SoLjA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Whoops, I probably should get back into my design and upload mine to Thingiverse. Sorry for the delay, life got in the way but I'm back to looking at this now that Winter is coming back
Hoping to either grab a copy of that design if you ever get around to uploading it. Heck, I'd even pay for one of them to be made...

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Hoping to either grab a copy of that design if you ever get around to uploading it. Heck, I'd even pay for one of them to be made...
same, if anyone prints a few just tell me where to send the Venmo.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
We are enjoying a sleet storm here in New England today and as expected, my windshield iced up badly on the sides. A wise member posted here a while back saying to just throw a glove up there. I did so and within a minute, the ice melted and windshield was completely clear. It’s probably too Inelegant of a solution for many but for me, it was a simple no-cost solution to a real problem.

KJKWillys

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI - I have a couple of the plug sets that I designed printed out - I'm not looking to make a profit, you cover the shipping and a couple bucks to cover the cost of the filament and I'm happy to ship them out to you - just PM me if you are interested. (my design is not as cool as the one iblowatsports designed, but does the job in my JL)

JeepVentPlugV2.png
I have a new set of these in my Willys and they made a big difference here in New England during the fun sleet and freezing rain we had here for the last 36 hours! Way better than without during last weeks blizzard. They are black and tuck in nicely so absolutely not noticeable either.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

FoxyJeeper

First Name
Foxyjeeper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Obviously Jeep is ignoring the issue. If we really want to get the problem solved, we should force the issue. Everyone who owns a JL and has experienced this (that would be just about everyone who lives in an area that experiences cold weather) should report the problem the the NHTSA. If they get enough complaints, they may force Jeep to fix the dangerous defect. Here’s a link to report it.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
How is this not a recall? They obviously put it together wrong. I'm just out of warranty since last November. I'm sure I told the dealer about it when I was in warranty, but I got the ol' that's the way it works. Its not documented in my service records the way some other things I brought up were.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
Obviously Jeep is ignoring the issue. If we really want to get the problem solved, we should force the issue. Everyone who owns a JL and has experienced this (that would be just about everyone who lives in an area that experiences cold weather) should report the problem the the NHTSA. If they get enough complaints, they may force Jeep to fix the dangerous defect. Here’s a link to report it.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

That makes sense because it worked so well for the aluminum steering box, not.
Sponsored