Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Loccusst

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
So I tried the plugs one night and I ended up yanking them because they started giving off a toxic smell because of the heat. Anyone else have this issue? It was actually starting to give us a headache. With the diverters being 3D printed, does the heat melt them or soften them? I'm very interested.
Sponsored

gek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Code Monkey
So I tried the plugs one night and I ended up yanking them because they started giving off a toxic smell because of the heat. Anyone else have this issue? It was actually starting to give us a headache. With the diverters being 3D printed, does the heat melt them or soften them? I'm very interested.
It would depend on what material they are printed with. I wouldn't trust most PLA on the dash if you plan to leave it in over the summer, but if it is printed with ABS it should be ok. If you get them from someone I would ask them what material they are using and ask them what the glass transition temperature(when it starts to soften) of their filament was. Some PLA is as low as 120°F but can be up around 185°F. ABS is much higher.

Loccusst

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The plugs I ordered were from the Amazon link in this thread. Has anyone else had the experience of the smell?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The plugs I ordered were from the Amazon link in this thread. Has anyone else had the experience of the smell?
No.

I've installed these end cap plugs in a staggered formation across my dashboard. Recent temperature trends havecompelled me to run the defroster on max heat. If they were sensitive to the Jeep's nuclear-grade heater, I'd have surely smelled something by now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost Dec 2022 1F

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
It would depend on what material they are printed with. I wouldn't trust most PLA on the dash if you plan to leave it in over the summer, but if it is printed with ABS it should be ok. If you get them from someone I would ask them what material they are using and ask them what the glass transition temperature(when it starts to soften) of their filament was. Some PLA is as low as 120°F but can be up around 185°F. ABS is much higher.
Actually most plastics used today and most car parts are abs , and if over heated or burned/ u really can’t “” burn “” abs. or if taken to the glass transition would smell really bad. Heat from a blower would not cause it to soften and smell. Abs is 221*
abs has a bad smell if heated enough. And is very bad to breath and would give you headaches. Pla would smell sweet , Asa 234* or pc 296* would also have that weird smell but it would need a higher temp do so then abs.
most stuff u buy from any supplier is abs

the diverters I print are asa and would really need a ton of heat to have them disform/ soften , a smell may happen it’s possible but they won’t “melt” or soften

Sponsored

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I had this thread saved and just came back to it to see if this was still an issue for the 23 models or if they addressed it at all.

It definitely was an issue on my 2021 Rubi. I bought a socket rail thing that I inserted and it helped a lot forcing more air out to the sides. Mostly just been wondering if I should put that in my 2023 also or if it's not needed anymore.

I'll probably just give it a try and see. I'm going to keep the socket rails handy though!

Anyone else with a '23 notice their front defroster actually works pretty well?

Knew about the plug work-around and was planning on doing that, but on regular 'auto' mode, I'll occasionally get a little fogging in the corners (usually on recirc), but after pressing the front defrost button it clears right up in a few seconds. Hopefully I'm not just imagining things!

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I had this thread saved and just came back to it to see if this was still an issue for the 23 models or if they addressed it at all.

It definitely was an issue on my 2021 Rubi. I bought a socket rail thing that I inserted and it helped a lot forcing more air out to the sides. Mostly just been wondering if I should put that in my 2023 also or if it's not needed anymore.

I'll probably just give it a try and see. I'm going to keep the socket rails handy though!
Every once in a blue moon I'll start to get a little fogging in the corners (probably because I usually drive with recirc on and never use the A/C), but so far pressing the front defroster button has cleared them up within seconds.

Doesn't seem like an issue at all for my '23, so I'm leaving things as they are for now.

PeatedWhisky

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Rubicon on Order
Jeep has announced a recall around a software issue that is effecting the defrosters, so hopefully this will fix this problem.

A hybrid control processor (HCP) software error may cause the defrosting and defogging system to be inoperative, which may decrease a driver's visibility and increase the risk of a crash, according to the NHSTA. The NHTSA also says these vehicles fail to comply with federal requirements for defrosting and defogging systems.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...r-recall-check-jeep-ford-genesis/72619108007/

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Jeep has announced a recall around a software issue that is effecting the defrosters, so hopefully this will fix this problem.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...r-recall-check-jeep-ford-genesis/72619108007/
This appears to be an entirely separate issue from what JL owner's have been experiencing since the JL generation Wrangler was introduced in 2018 as a 2019 model. A front windshield defroster that will not defrost completely the entire windshield, only certain sections. FCA (former parent company) finally acknowledged that there was a problem.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eld-defroster-coverage-fix-s1924000008.87666/

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Sponsored

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
RETIRED!
It appears that the recall only applies to to the plug in models.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
I must have a special built JL, I have never had issues with defrosting my windshield. Until now that I said something.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
elf883, I too, would be interested in buying a set of the diverters, if you print more in the future.

Thank you.
Sponsored