Sponsored

Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I installed/placed similar plastic plugs, just about 3yrs. ago .... over 50,000 miles ago when using the plugs was first talked about here on the forum...

Yes, the plugs do the job so to speak..... Well worth the few $ cost of the plugs and the time to plug them in.
Sponsored

Tapper881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
FYI - the link to the design on Thingiverse, is one I designed - I've run that in my Jeep for the last 2 years - and made a big difference for me here in the midwest winters. I have printed many of these out for folks here on the forum. I'm not looking to sell them, so I normally ask for forum members to cover the shipping cost, and I can normally get these out in the mail in a day of two. PM me if interested.

iblowatsports

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Whoops, I probably should get back into my design and upload mine to Thingiverse. Sorry for the delay, life got in the way but I'm back to looking at this now that Winter is coming back

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
I used a socket holder, works great and the black looks good. Does not look like a socket holder at all when in the jeep. You can remove them if to many and space accordingly. This is for 1/2"

Jeep Wrangler JL Question regarding the Windsheld defrost 717vZwYk5WL._AC_SL1500_

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I had written off this issue as "a Jeep thing".. now that I have found out it is a manufacturing defect.. and I have 6 months of warranty left on my 2018 that I purchased in mid 2019.. I am considering taking it in to the dealer.. BUT.. I have zero confidence they won't screw up my X409 stereo unit or new speakers.. Will see how this goes.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I had written off this issue as "a Jeep thing".. now that I have found out it is a manufacturing defect.. and I have 6 months of warranty left on my 2018 that I purchased in mid 2019.. I am considering taking it in to the dealer..

BUT.. I have zero confidence they won't screw up my X409 stereo unit or new speakers.. Will see how this goes.
What do you envision the dealer doing to address the matter of defroster performance?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
FYI - the link to the design on Thingiverse, is one I designed - I've run that in my Jeep for the last 2 years - and made a big difference for me here in the midwest winters. I have printed many of these out for folks here on the forum. I'm not looking to sell them, so I normally ask for forum members to cover the shipping cost, and I can normally get these out in the mail in a day of two. PM me if interested.
I’m also a 3D printing enthusiast. May I ask what material you use to print them with? I imagine PLA will not work for this application because of its low glass transition temperature. I’m thinking ABS would work best but PETG can be a better candidate since its relatively easier to work with and the fact it doesn’t require an enclosure.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

What do you envision the dealer doing to address the matter of defroster performance?
The short answer, I expect them to restore the defroster performance to the level it is expected to perform at as per the design, as per the factory warranty that covers manufacturing defects.

The longer answer, this is a manufacturing defect that happens in the assembly process. It is documented here, earlier in the thread. Post #467 (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...regarding-the-windsheld-defrost.15276/page-32)

The results in this thread have been everything from conduit obstruction to conduit not even being hooked up. It is clear that all of the vents on top of the dash should be working. I am not sure how, as there is only one air flow input into the upper dash.. but enough reports of air coming out the right and left sides to lead me to believe something is amiss.

I expect the dealer to correct this situation. This most likely involves removing the dash and validating the AC system is installed correctly, and correcting any mistakes.

It does concern me greatly that I may have other manufacturing defects that I have been dismissing as "a Jeep thing".. Reading through the posts, FCA has benefited greatly from that assumption.. as this is not a cheap thing to correct from a labor hours standpoint.

Last edited:

Tapper881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I’m also a 3D printing enthusiast. May I ask what material you use to print them with? I imagine PLA will not work for this application because of its low glass transition temperature. I’m thinking ABS would work best but PETG can be a better candidate since its relatively easier to work with and the fact it doesn’t require an enclosure.

I have been using a TPU Flexible filament - it seems to hold up to the temperature changes and keeps its form/shape, and is flexible enough to hold in place at the vents.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
The short answer, I expect them to restore the defroster performance to the level it is expected to perform at as per the design, as per the factory warranty that covers manufacturing defects.

The longer answer, this is a manufacturing defect that happens in the assembly process. It is documented here, earlier in the thread. Post #467 (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...regarding-the-windsheld-defrost.15276/page-32)

The results in this thread have been everything from conduit obstruction to conduit not even being hooked up. It is clear that all of the vents on top of the dash should be working. I am not sure how, as there is only one air flow input into the upper dash.. but enough reports of air coming out the right and left sides to lead me to believe something is amiss.

I expect the dealer to correct this situation. This most likely involves removing the dash and validating the AC system is installed correctly, and correcting any mistakes.

It does concern me greatly that I may have other manufacturing defects that I have been dismissing as "a Jeep thing".. Reading through the posts, FCA has benefited greatly from that assumption.. as this is not a cheap thing to correct from a labor hours standpoint.
Good luck with that. I had my dealer look at the issue and they pretty much said “works as designed” (this from supposedly one of the better service departments).
If you do manage to get a resolution to this, please post the service order detailing the work performed so the rest of us can use that as a starting point for our dealer conversations.
Sponsored