Pulled over.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I'm not sure any time is an inopportune time to be pulled over for DUI, and if lack of fender/tire coverage is the reason, maybe it's the perfect reason, as might any reason, to get a driver off the road that is driving under the influence.
I didn't mean piss drunk, I meant you go to the restaurant, have 2-3 beers with your meal ands then get stopped. Can't tell you how many times we pulled people over for reasons other than erratic driving, like tinted windows and such and end-up giving that person a ride and their car towed. They were driving perfectly and swore they feeling totally fine. You'd be surprised how many times you drove ''illegally'', because most people have no clue at what point they blow over the limit. You'd be darn surprised how little it takes to pass the limit.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that someone's mods might give them a knee jerk in the teeth.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Just about every state has laws/ regulations for tires to be fully covered by fenders. Although I do think government over-reaches, it is a safety issue.
Every one of those laws Iā€™ve read, including CA where I live says something like ā€fender coverage OR mud flaps to sufficiently control the spray of mud/water from the rear of the vehicleā€. Based on that definition of the law, they should never ticket anyone on a sunny day, no fenders are sufficient to control spray on those days? They shouldnā€™t be concerned about front fenders either, rears alone would control spray from the rear of the vehicle. Itā€™s not about safety itā€™s a government cash cow like most traffic laws. Your seatbelt is required for safety, but you can ride a motorcycle? These laws exist to generate revenue and give them ā€œprobable causeā€ to initiate a stop and hopefully find you committing an actual crime. Thereā€™s no such thing as a victimless crime. All other laws are over reach period.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Bend over and grab both ankles. We are here to help. šŸ¤£

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Every one of those laws Iā€™ve read, including CA where I live says something like ā€fender coverage OR mud flaps to sufficiently control the spray of mud/water from the rear of the vehicleā€. Based on that definition of the law, they should never ticket anyone on a sunny day, no fenders are sufficient to control spray on those days? They shouldnā€™t be concerned about front fenders either, rears alone would control spray from the rear of the vehicle. Itā€™s not about safety itā€™s a government cash cow like most traffic laws. Your seatbelt is required for safety, but you can ride a motorcycle? These laws exist to generate revenue and give them ā€œprobable causeā€ to initiate a stop and hopefully find you committing an actual crime. Thereā€™s no such thing as a victimless crime. All other laws are over reach period.
The K02s will throw rocks on a stock Rubicon, which would easily chip a windshield. On a motorcycle this could potentially be deadly.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Long-time motorcyclist here.

By way of example, and from experience, a bumblebee to the chest at regular riding speed is capable of giving the rider a disproportionate thump, no matter if he's wearing a proper jacket (as I always do.)

If we pencil this out, even a small rock propelled from a spinning tire could cause real injury, and/or damage to the motorcycle itself.

I'm no fan of capricious enforcement actions, but I also have zero sympathy for the Jeep owner who receives a piece of payin' paper for tires that plainly protrude beyond the fender's coverage profile. Related language in a state's Vehicle Code, regarding so-called equipment violations, isn't there by chance.

We're all in this together, gents. :beer:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The K02s will throw rocks on a stock Rubicon, which would easily chip a windshield. On a motorcycle this could potentially be deadly.
Thereā€™s a gravel plant 1 exit up the freeway from me that I drive passed twice a day. Chipped windshields likely, fatal? Not even remotely likely. And if a small piece of gravel is likely fatal, for public safety we should ban those things... All vehicles will throw gravel. Stock height rubicons will throw gravel. It happens daily. And most importantly, the law says nothing about gravel yet that is the intent? Nope. It should be enforced the way it is written. If Iā€™m spraying mud or water out the back, then you can ticket me. Assuming that I will spray mud/water in the future and fining me is a cash grab period.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Texas has Gravel trucks hauling rock all over the place. These rock haulers have a law on them that states they must be covered. I see uncovered ones all the time. They now have big sign on back that says NOT responsible for cracked windshields. These and cement trucks I stay away from.

I have been behind a little normal car and watch rock thrown up from the little tire and hit my windshield.

Not much you can do about tires and throwing rocks. Big or small it will happen.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Thereā€™s a gravel plant 1 exit up the freeway from me that I drive passed twice a day. Chipped windshields likely, fatal? Not even remotely likely. And if a small piece of gravel is likely fatal, for public safety we should ban those things... All vehicles will throw gravel. Stock height rubicons will throw gravel. It happens daily. And most importantly, the law says nothing about gravel yet that is the intent? Nope. It should be enforced the way it is written. If Iā€™m spraying mud or water out the back, then you can ticket me. Assuming that I will spray mud/water in the future and fining me is a cash grab period.
Potentially deadly to a motorcyclist.

I'm not saying I agree with how the law is written or what their intent is, but I assume the original purpose of fenders is to prevent debris from straying too far from the tire. I don't think a law requiring them to remain in place is overreach, for the safety of people not in cars.

The California law is a little ambiguous, and can be interpreted that either 1) spraying mud reduction is the desired effect of fenders/covers/devices/flaps/aprons or 2) spraying mud reduction only applies to 'body of the vehicle' section. Either way, this is a huge run-on sentence that some lawyer probably got paid a bunch of money to write. The 1500# prior to 1971 exemption is also interesting...
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Texas has Gravel trucks hauling rock all over the place. These rock haulers have a law on them that states they must be covered. I see uncovered ones all the time. They now have big sign on back that says NOT responsible for cracked windshields. These and cement trucks I stay away from.
I would assume that gravel trucks not following their state law could still be held liable, regardless of what the sign says on the back.

I should get a bumper sticker that says "Not liable if I hit you"

I have been behind a little normal car and watch rock thrown up from the little tire and hit my windshield.

Not much you can do about tires and throwing rocks. Big or small it will happen.
Not much you can do, but there is something they can do...

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
No sympathy for people knowingly breaking the law and getting caught. Just comply.

Sponsored

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
Just because they have a sign that says they aren't responsible doesn't mean it's true. I can get a sign that says trespassers will be shot. Doesn't mean it is suddenly legal to murder people for walking across my lawn.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
While I do care about the safety of bikers and the windshields of those behind me, do you know what really helps? Stay a few car lengths back and follow the 2-second rule.

Was amazed last week seeing a biker in my rearview hang literally 2 feet off my bumper while we're doing 50 in a 45. Personally, I try to stay 5 seconds behind anyone in front of me, regardless of what I'm driving. Doesn't always avoid every piece of shit being kicked up, but it helps and likely allows the velocity to slow a bit.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
While I do care about the safety of bikers and the windshields of those behind me, do you know what really helps? Stay a few car lengths back and follow the 2-second rule.
My last cracked windshield was from a rock thrown from a SUV that was traveling in the next lane over, going the same direction as me. I've had others happen from vehicles traveling the opposite direction on a 2-lane road.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My last broken windshield was from out of nowhere. I was way back from the next vehicle on an LA freeway. Must have been a vehicle in another lane. It was a large enough rock/chunk of concrete that it sounded like a gunshot and it left a crater, not just a star. No Gorilla glass or film would have helped. Only a sheet of polycarbonate in front of the windshield would have saved it.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
My last cracked windshield was from a rock thrown from a SUV that was traveling in the next lane over, going the same direction as me. I've had others happen from vehicles traveling the opposite direction on a 2-lane road.
Yeah, most of the rocks that hit my windshield are from oncoming traffic on a 2-lane highway. Usually spits it out at an angle and I run into it. I've had that happen from both pickups and cars, nothing with aggressive tire tread or unprotected tire poke, though. Really can't avoid it too much, but I try to stay well over toward the berm (especially for triaxles and semis) and I think that helps a little.

My biggest problem is when DOT snow plows are dumping salt chunks and grit and forget to time their pause for oncoming traffic. Windshield usually makes it through that alright (not always), but it really peppers your paint job.
Sponsored