Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I've been pulled over twice in the last 6 months by same trooper in my JL. He never gives me a ticket but always gives my rear fender a fist bump on the way back to his patrol car. Wtf ?:LOL:
Hahahaha that’s the weirdest post I’ve ever seen. Dude you better not pull over in a desolate area. You might wind up like Ned Beatty in Deliverance.
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
All kidding aside, I think it’s a police thing. Something where they put fingerprints on your vehicle in case something goes bad they can prove that said officer pulled you over.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
All kidding aside, I think it’s a police thing. Something where they put fingerprints on your vehicle in case something goes bad they can prove that said officer pulled you over.
Yes, considered old school where an officer touches your rear fender when they approach the vehicle. With dashcams and such nowadays most officers no longer do this. But I was pulled over twice by a female highway patrol officer over the course of 10 years when I lived in a rural area. She was much younger than me but I watched her touch the fender on each approach which I thought was funny.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I've seen some people have a fit, if their car is even touched, on a traffic stop. Those people "Will" get tickets. These are the same people that want to argue over what they were pulled over for. Usually they would just get a warning, and a "Have a nice day". But, if you act like a fool, well, "I will see you in court". What some people don't understand is, you will waste two days, going to court, and miss work. I will get paid.
Attitude goes a long way.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
@minisoda I am not sure what the law is in Minnesota but before you go purchasing extended fenders, make sure there is no ridiculous rules against extended fenders like there is in PA. I have wheels/tires which extend beyond the fender so I can only purchase wheels that fit under the fenders because extended fenders won't pass inspection here.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Been warning people for a llooonnng time that illegal mods might get you pulled over at the most inopportune time. Some know the law, some don't give a flying crap because they don't, or they know a lot of people running same set-up and none of them have ever gotten in trouble.

A law is a law and your local law enforcement can get the order to enforce some of these laws because of a mere complaint from someone who's windshield got a rock from a Jeep with tires sticking out the fenders.

Same goes for uncovered light bars and other logical stuff. A complaint from someone that got blinded by a light bar from an idiot that wanted to show he's not on high beams, is all it takes for Police to start hunting.

With this said, when I say inopportune time in my first statement, what if you were back from the restaurant with a few beers in you, feeling totally fine and driving at or under the speed limit, but your mods stabs you in the back and you end up busting the alcohol limit by next to nothing.... guess what, DUI and you're screwed.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Let me preface by saying this... my driving record is completely clean. It’s been 10+ years since I was even pulled over for speeding.

Got pulled over today. I was going 67 in a 70, but it was clear the state patrol was lined up along the highway just looking for issues. I was kind of stunned because I knew I under the speed limit.

Anyway, the state patrol officer came up... he was actually really cool, but pulled me over because my tires 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers were outside the stock fenders on my 2019 Sport. He also noted that the taillights (great looking Oracle Lighting LEDs) were too dark and not stock. They are very bright LEDs, so I’m really not sure what the issue is with them.

Although the officer was great and ended up just wanting to talk Jeep stuff, I really don’t feel like being pulled over constantly. Anyone experience this or was it just a one off incident. Are there fender extensions that I can use to get out past the tires? Appreciate any feedback!
Sounds like a one off to me. My tires stick out past my fenders by quite a bit and I haven't been pulled over for it. Also, MN law from what I've been able to find doesn't specifically address fenders / tires and how much can or can't be sticking out past the fenders, only that mud flaps must be used so that spray is limited as much as practical.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Sooo annoying given how much I just spent on the wheel/tire pkg. Does anyone make an extension that comes out just a bit to provide additional coverage?
Jeep Wrangler JL Pulled over. 1652890175166

Jeep Wrangler JL Pulled over. 1652890262407

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Been warning people for a llooonnng time that illegal mods might get you pulled over at the most inopportune time. Some know the law, some don't give a flying crap because they don't, or they know a lot of people running same set-up and none of them have ever gotten in trouble.

A law is a law and your local law enforcement can get the order to enforce some of these laws because of a mere complaint from someone who's windshield got a rock from a Jeep with tires sticking out the fenders.

Same goes for uncovered light bars and other logical stuff. A complaint from someone that got blinded by a light bar from an idiot that wanted to show he's not on high beams, is all it takes for Police to start hunting.

With this said, when I say inopportune time in my first statement, what if you were back from the restaurant with a few beers in you, feeling totally fine and driving at or under the speed limit, but your mods stabs you in the back and you end up busting the alcohol limit by next to nothing.... guess what, DUI and you're screwed.
I'm not sure any time is an inopportune time to be pulled over for DUI, and if lack of fender/tire coverage is the reason, maybe it's the perfect reason, as might any reason, to get a driver off the road that is driving under the influence.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I think it was Lincoln who said, believe only half of what your see, and none of what you read on the Internet.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Let me preface by saying this... my driving record is completely clean. It’s been 10+ years since I was even pulled over for speeding.

Got pulled over today. I was going 67 in a 70, but it was clear the state patrol was lined up along the highway just looking for issues. I was kind of stunned because I knew I under the speed limit.

Anyway, the state patrol officer came up... he was actually really cool, but pulled me over because my tires 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers were outside the stock fenders on my 2019 Sport. He also noted that the taillights (great looking Oracle Lighting LEDs) were too dark and not stock. They are very bright LEDs, so I’m really not sure what the issue is with them.

Although the officer was great and ended up just wanting to talk Jeep stuff, I really don’t feel like being pulled over constantly. Anyone experience this or was it just a one off incident. Are there fender extensions that I can use to get out past the tires? Appreciate any feedback!

We don't even have state car inspections here in TN where I live... The worst we've experienced is being pulled over for Red Halos (by a self-admitted bored officer) on the headlights... Occasionally someone gets pulled over for really dark tint on the windows, but only if the officer is bored...

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230

He probably just want to asses you. See if you were drinking or whatever, using the tires & taillights as legal reason to do so. I get it with my tinted windows. Get pulled over, cop starts sniffing literally, and then I get let go.
Sponsored