Mishimoto Catch Cans

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
How many people are running the Mishimoto catch can on their 2.0? Is it necessary and would it void any warranty work? I read that above 4K ft the check engine light will show. I live at 6200ft, anyone know if I can still use this or is it necessary at higher altitudes? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just installed mine and read the entire thread. I'm at sea level and initial test drive no check engine light. Second day, start the jeep and check engine light. Went over install and all looks fine. Will read codes and see what's up.

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 Hurricane
I removed my catch can for now until the day comes where mishimoto and jeep can work together to stop the CEL from coming on. they've been great to work with, super responsive etc, (mishimoto) but i just got tired of resetting the CEL every other restart. i'm one of those people that doesn't like a light blaring at you on the dash all the time lol!

Sponsored

Sarge50

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 2008 Mazdaspeed3
Had mine about 4 months and 3000 miles. No Lights. Gonna see if it caught any oil tomorrow

Sarge50

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 2008 Mazdaspeed3
Will post tomorrow. I hear its a pain to unscrew. Didn't loosen when I installed. Duh!!!!

Sponsored

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
any updates on this thread? Oil caught/CEL lights triggered? I live at 4500ft and am trying to figure out if this issue has been solved? (the Mishimoto R&D thread has been closed so no new updates there?)

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
any updates on this thread? Oil caught/CEL lights triggered? I live at 4500ft and am trying to figure out if this issue has been solved? (the Mishimoto R&D thread has been closed so no new updates there?)
it didn't sound like jeep was wanting to play nice and come up with a solution with mishimoto to keep the CEL from coming on. There has been no further action on this (or at least none discussed with me). For the time being my kit is still sitting in my basement store room...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
it didn't sound like jeep was wanting to play nice and come up with a solution with mishimoto to keep the CEL from coming on. There has been no further action on this (or at least none discussed with me). For the time being my kit is still sitting in my basement store room...
Same here, except mine has been sitting in my dining room for close to 2 years now.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
How do you know Mishimoto reached out to them? (I didn't see that thread, so maybe they did.)

Besides that, what interest would Jeep have in it? I don't think they'd want to cross the EPA on something like this. They are VERY sensitive to anything that even looks like a modification of the emissions system. By helping, they'd endorse the use of it. The first question the EPA would have is, "How do you control how the contents of the can is disposed of?" I know a little about the EPA, and they have their thumb firmly on all of the OEMs. I don't think Jeep or any other OEM would touch this with a 10 foot pole. Remember how they were in deep hot water with the EPA over the gen 1 Ecodiesel? They are going above and beyond to play nice with them since that mess. Simple choice: Play nicely with a tiny company that has no effect on your bottom line, or play nicely (and safely) with the EPA, who can shut you down and hurt you badly in a NY minute? If I were FCA/Jeep, I would politely decline to get involved.

I've got nothing against the catch can, per say. I've considered one for various reasons. I'm just trying to help understand why Jeep might have very good reason to keep a distance from this. Also, I don't claim to represent Jeep, so it is purely speculation, based on some knowledge of the EPA's relationship with automakers, particularly FCA.

mrjking2000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you know Mishimoto reached out to them? (I didn't see that thread, so maybe they did.)

Besides that, what interest would Jeep have in it? I don't think they'd want to cross the EPA on something like this. They are VERY sensitive to anything that even looks like a modification of the emissions system. By helping, they'd endorse the use of it. The first question the EPA would have is, "How do you control how the contents of the can is disposed of?" I know a little about the EPA, and they have their thumb firmly on all of the OEMs. I don't think Jeep or any other OEM would touch this with a 10 foot pole. Remember how they were in deep hot water with the EPA over the gen 1 Ecodiesel? They are going above and beyond to play nice with them since that mess. Simple choice: Play nicely with a tiny company that has no effect on your bottom line, or play nicely (and safely) with the EPA, who can shut you down and hurt you badly in a NY minute? If I were FCA/Jeep, I would politely decline to get involved.

I've got nothing against the catch can, per say. I've considered one for various reasons. I'm just trying to help understand why Jeep might have very good reason to keep a distance from this. Also, I don't claim to represent Jeep, so it is purely speculation, based on some knowledge of the EPA's relationship with automakers, particularly FCA.

I was working directly with mishimoto testing the catch can at altitude. they were keeping me in the loop on a VERY regular basis.
Sponsored