Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ask and you shall receive :angel:

Great news everybody: this catch can kit is now on pre-sale AND we're giving one away! Check out the last post below for our final round of testing (it's a long one) and click here to enter the contest! If you're dead-set on buying a kit, place your order and enter the contest too—if you win, we'll simply ship your kit for free!

Oh, and here's the link for the pre-sale ;): Mishimoto 2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0L Baffled Oil Catch Can Kit Pre-Sale

Thanks!
-Steve

Everyday Exploration – Oil Catch Can Kit, Part 4: Final Design
MG_9579.jpg

If you’ve ever started something new or made a momentous change in your life, you’ve heard some version of the old cliché, “Life isn’t about the destination, it’s about the journey.” While I agree with that sentiment, anybody who’s conquered a major challenge can tell you that, sometimes, the destination is the best part. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of accomplishment you get from seeing something through to the end, no matter how long the journey is between.

MG_5938.jpg

When we last talked about our 2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0T catch can, we were just beginning our exploration and journey to a successful product. Our proof-of-concept kit had collected a substantial amount of blow-by on the CCV side but triggered a check engine light in the process. A quick look into the engine’s computer revealed that the catch can was causing too much restriction in the CCV system and the sensitive crankcase pressure sensor was having none of it. Over the next 10,000 miles, we would build 10 more iterations of our CCV kit and spend countless hours striking a balance between flow and function.

MG_8710.jpg

The first step in this process was to determine if the issue was due to our lines or the catch can itself. To do that, we began simplifying the system and changing parts one by one. When we developed our high-flow catch can for diesel applications, we learned that the most restrictive part of our compact catch can is the bronze filter on the can outlet. This filter normally catches larger pieces of carbon and helps further condense vapor in the can. If removing it solved the CEL, we would need to come up with a high-flow alternative to serve the same purpose. Our first test entailed removing the filter, reinstalling the can in its original position on the firewall, and driving 1,000 miles. The next morning, however, we already had our answer.

...Continue Reading>>>
Is there a danger of back flow into the engine when the Jeep is in steep incline situations off road?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Is there a danger of back flow into the engine when the Jeep is in steep incline situations off road?
There is a small chance if the can is close to full - we recommend emptying the can before off-roading just to be safe.

Thanks!
-Steve

Aenima

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Ruby
New JL Rubi 2.0 owner (non-eTorque), long time Wrangler owner, and merciless wheeler.

I bought my Jeep in AZ despite living in CO. Based on personal experience with GDI engines, a catch can ASAP was all but mandatory. I installed the Mishimoto can with 150 miles on the Jeep. Yes, it fits the 2.0 non-eTorque configuration perfectly. As already mentioned, the can came tightened with Herculean strength, so I was unable to loosen it first since I brought only the tools for install. I'll do it later. I then proceeded to drive the Jeep 850 miles from less than 1000 ft to 8000 ft elevation and in temperatures from 0 to 60 degrees, and everywhere in between. No codes were thrown and no CEL, all good so far. That's with the filter installed. It could be that the ECU was still in 'learning' mode when the can was installed, preventing protest (pure speculation on my part).

It's curious that no one has reported any oil collection in the can thus far, other than the Mishi test mule. It could be that the 2.0 has the world's best factory air/oil separator. It could also be that the plasma coated rings and the reported dramatic reduction in wear of both the rings and the cylinder walls are keeping things pretty tight against blow-by. Hopefully great oil and gas will keep it operating the same way. Whatever the reason, it's a good sign in a GDI motor. I'm curious how my experience and that of others pans out in the longer term.

Before the catch can gestapo jump in and pull me out of bed at gunpoint in the middle of the night, here's my thought: It's only a waste of my money if it doesn't catch any oil that would otherwise make it to the intake port (that would mean they finally have this whole GDI thing actually figured out); if it does then it's worth every cent. Were this the self-cleaning 3.6, I wouldn't even bother.

Sponsored

WhyUMad

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
~12,000 miles. First change since installing at ~5,000 miles, so ~7,000 miles & there’s hardly any oil in it.

Currently waiting on my catch cans for my Raptor to get shipped to me. I expect that to have a good bit of blow-by.

F760193A-9B80-46AA-BDDB-A39461BA57EA.jpeg

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
At this point I think the question has moved beyond 'Does the Mishi can work?' to 'Did someone actually finally find a way to build a GDI motor that doesn't self-destruct in under 100k miles by including a factory air/oil separator that actually works?'. We'll collectively find out!
Plenty of DI engines with well over 200,000 miles on them. VW/Audi have been doing is for 15+ years. NA DI engines have more challenges.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.