Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey everybody,

We're really excited to start sharing our R&D of our catch can for the 2.0T JL Wrangler! The complex computer systems of the 2.0T along with the cramped JL engine bay created some challenges for us to overcome, but we're really close to having this catch can ready to install on your Jeeps!

Like our 2.0T intake, this R&D has been a long road. Check out our first post below and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
-Steve

Everyday Exploration – Oil Catch Can Kit, Part 1: Introduction

IMG_20180915_150743_2.jpg

The renowned landscape photographer Ansel Adams once said, “…I have found that every experience is a form of exploration.” Nearly a century after Adams began exploring the American West, Americans still love to explore, and no vehicle exemplifies the spirit of everyday exploration better than the Jeep Wrangler. Any Wrangler driver knows that embarking on an exploration is a simple matter of turning a key. Take the top off, or pull off the doors, and a drive through your neighborhood becomes something more.

As any explorer knows, a journey requires preparation. We might have moved on from feeding the horses and packing the hardtack but being prepared is still key. Even in a brand new 2.0L turbo Wrangler, the first step in your everyday exploration should be staying prepared. Maintenance is important, of course. You change your oil, use high-quality fuel, check your tire pressure, and a plethora of other essentials most vehicle owners are familiar with.

IMG_5843-Recovered.jpg

However, being truly prepared often means going above and beyond the essentials. For a direct-injected and turbocharged engine like the Hurricane 2.0L found in the 2018+ JL Wrangler, cleanliness is paramount. Clean air and clean fuel can make the difference between exploring the wide-open wilderness or wandering around a mechanic’s dingy waiting room. Unfortunately for the Hurricane, the biggest threat to its cleanliness is itself.

Continue Reading...
Sponsored

Last edited:

31R

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up!

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Like our 2.0T intake, this R&D has been a long road. Check out our first post below and let us know what you think!
Will be watching this thread... glad to see some attention being paid to us lowly 2.0T Wranglers ;)

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for the detailed write-up, I had been in the "is this necessary " camp, but now see the need in DI 2.0 engine off-road use...

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is probably going to be one of be best upgrades you can do for the 2.0. The last thing you want is all that junk making its way through the pcv and screwing up your valves. It’s even more important on this motor since it’s a direct injection and you don’t get the fuel washing over the valves like a regular motor. Put me on the pre order list for sure!!!! Would love to help test it out!

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
So the 2.0l has a factory air/oil separator? And this is to help augment that? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks for the detailed write-up, I had been in the "is this necessary " camp, but now see the need in DI 2.0 engine off-road use...
Thank you! Even for a daily-driven vehicle, catch cans can be very helpful. Most daily drivers spend the majority of their time in a temperature and RPM range that promotes carbon buildup, so the more of those ingredients you can keep out of your engine and off the valves, the better.

This is probably going to be one of be best upgrades you can do for the 2.0. The last thing you want is all that junk making its way through the pcv and screwing up your valves. It’s even more important on this motor since it’s a direct injection and you don’t get the fuel washing over the valves like a regular motor. Put me on the pre order list for sure!!!! Would love to help test it out!
Thank you! I'll definitely keep you in mind if we need to test on another 2.0T.

So the 2.0l has a factory air/oil separator? And this is to help augment that? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.
Essentially, yes. The factory air/oil separators are a pretty big compromise between cost, functionality and maintenance. OEMs need a way to keep oil out of the intake, while staying in budget and adding zero extra maintenance for their customers. Most factory AOS systems fall pretty short of actually separating contaminates from the intake charge, but even systems that do a good job of keeping oil out of the intake still recycle that oil (which is already contaminated by fuel and water vapor) back into the oil pan. We'd rather keep that contaminated oil out of the engine completely, which is where this catch can comes in.

I realized that the posted article got a little jumbled somehow and might have been a bit confusing, so feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,
-Steve

Last edited:

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread