Sponsored

Max Payload for Overlanding

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Lol. i went through this payload rabbit hole a year ago. the myth comes from the fact that the payload capacity shows on the tire sticker I believe. something about the tire not handling the load safely on the JL somebody said.

if you calculate payload by the numbers shown on the manual (curb weight and GVWR) you dont get the door sticker number, you get something over 1,000lbs.

To make this matter more confusing. Sahara, sport, sport s, willys. they all have the same number on the sticker even though some might have a d44 rear, bigger brakes, rock sliders, steps, etc... You name it. soft top or hardtop configurations also show the same payload number by the door sticker. Even though the hardtop weighs about 150lbs. Different tires too, A/T, street tires. Same number. The rubicon falken wildpeaks are 10lbs (unsprung weight) heavier per tire than ko2. same number. base sport wheels are steel vs. sport s aluminum. same number.
I understand how payload is calculated. I don’t understand blaming the tires

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This is a bit far lol but worth the trip
The guy I quoted was heading to Banff, Alberta as part of his trip. I live 90 minutes from Banff and the camping spots I have in mind are about an hour from Banff

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I understand how payload is calculated. I don’t understand blaming the tires
The sticker literally says "tire and loading information". So I think people are speculating here. I agree with you. But how else can you explain that "payload" number by the tire sticker?

And apparently that sticker is placed there by the tire company.

Check this:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/did-jeep-botch-the-jlur-3-0-payload-rating.44584/

@PaulwithJeep This dude works at a dealer or something.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter
The guy I quoted was heading to Banff, Alberta as part of his trip. I live 90 minutes from Banff and the camping spots I have in mind are about an hour from Banff
I'm jealous of you haha i'm in Edmonton so not much to see around here.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The sticker literally says "tire and loading information". So I think people are speculating here. I agree with you. But how else can you explain that "payload" number by the tire sticker?

And apparently that sticker is placed there by the tire company.
Wrangler isn’t the only vehicle in FCA’s garage with confusing payload.

Grand Cherokee/Durango are the same way

7,100 lbs GVWR minus 5,400 lb curb weight equals 1,200 lbs payload...

I went a few rounds with FCA a while back.

The agent agreed with me that GVWR-curb weight = payload but at the same time kept telling me to follow the weight listed on the payload sticker

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The agent agreed with me that GVWR-curb weight = payload but at the same time kept telling me to follow the weight listed on the payload sticker
Yeah I use that as an estimate too. Following the 700lbs on my 2 door is actually not that difficult given theres no trunk space anyway. but I am "cheating" I added metal bumpers both lighter than rubi with metal bumpers and have a rubi suspension designed for metal bumpers. So I am not taking that into account I am assuming I am like a rubicon, and I have the rear dana44. Small brakes, but Ive had to brake and it brakes fine.

I travel light anyway. And I am moving all my gear to a light trailer so thats ok. i have kissed the 700lbs once and it drove just fine.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The whole thing is confusing…. Really confusing…..

if I order a JLU with steel bumpers, is my “payload” sticker different than a JLU with a plastic bumper? No. Hardtop vs ragtop? No. Leather vs cloth? No. What if I have a hitch? It weighs 10-15 pounds or so….. any difference For a jeep without a hitch? No. Auto vs manual“. I don’t believe so. 33” tires vs smaller? ummm, not sure but. “No”. full time FWD vs regular? probs not..

i really don’t get it.

Last edited:

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Hey, Steve F, that's some trailer we are peeking at. Any photos of it elsewhere on this forum? If not, this IS a thread about overlanding and payloads...

Thanks!
I don't have any good pics of it behind the JL as I've only towed it once, hoping to get out again now it's spring here though, here's some pics with my 2 Door JK (They had a 3500lb towing limit here so all legal). Has 120AH lithium and fridge is on a slide like the kitchen in front of the steps into the camper. Best bit is no need to unhitch to setup for quick overnighters and up off the ground so out of the water and mud when it rains :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding 20171229_132906

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding 20171227_091733

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding 20171227_085855

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding 20171227_100428

20171227_191133.jpg

20171227_175109.jpg

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Anytime there is a fatality or serious injury, every single factor including all vehicles and persons involved is investigated. This not only includes weight of vehicles but a whole bunch of other variables. This even includes checking for non DOT compliance hardware and any modification done that does not meet DOT or FMCSA (if commercial vehicle is involved) regulation.
this is America and America has an obesity issue. The JLU is rated for 5 passengers. If each of them is 300 svelt pounds (except the skinny guy in the middLe backseat… he weighs 275) and involved in an accident with ‘serious injury or fatality” — say, to another vehicle — are you saying that somebody forces the driver and passengers to get on a scale as evidence of JLU driver liability? Because, that JLU is over the 850 pound payload without ANY cargo other than the driver and passengers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Again, 100’s of posts about being over weight and accidents and not 1 example of a non-commercial vehicle being weighed post accident In real life. Theoretically possible, but not practical or practiced. Live your life as scared or as free as you see fit.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Steve F, nice trailer, nice family (although it could be significant other with her daughter)!

And I could smell the bacon from here in SW PA!

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I deleted my rear seat, saved 50lbs. That gives me a total of 942 lbs to play with.

Ursa minor hard top, 240 lbs, but eliminates the need for a rack, roof top tent, etc for my setup.
Me - 160 lbs

If I'm alone, that leaves me 542lbs of payload for equipment. My fridge, boxes, 5 gallon water tank...hell, even when I bring the Weber Q, 20lb propane tank, and propane fire pit...doesn't even come close to that amount. If I have a passenger, it's my wife, and at 140lbs we're still under.

The factory recovery points on a rubicon are plenty adequate. Bumpers and swing out tier carriers are not necessary, and are massive weights.

Some other good areas to cut are water and extra gas. If you are doing a cross country trip in the JL, you don't need extra fuel or water. There's very very few places you're going to go in the USA where you need to carry more than 5 gallons of water. Extra gas? Unless you're doing some crazy remote parts of Utah or Wyoming and intentionally avoiding cities, gas is everywhere.
Unless you’re in a 392 :)
Sponsored