Max Payload for Overlanding

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Private vehicles can be weighed (and fined) in Australia? Interesting.

if you loaded up your jeep (not the trailer), with a bunch of stuff….. at what point are you overweight and/or, what is the weight (overage) based on?
We get just over 1000lb payload (on the JLUR, it's as per the manufacturer), go over the stated GVM and you are considered un-roadworthy, can get a random check, fined and have to leave the vehicle (can't drive any further until the weight is resolved). Also need to bear in mind the weight on the towball is included as part of the payload, we are fine with the 3 of us, the camper and some gear in the Jeep :) You can also get checked if it's thought the trailer is over the towing capacity as well, not unusual for lots of caravaners to be over the legal towing limit for their vehicle. As an aside we have no additional speed limit for towing, unless you are a semi etc, so I can do the same speed as everyone else when towing which is typically 70mph (68 to be exact)
Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Aus gets a higher towing rating then the US. I imagine it’s because you have speed limits when towing. In most states, you can legally tow 75-80 MPH with a trailer and many don’t think about what happens when they need to slow it all down quickly.
Speed limits when towing are no different to ordinary speed limits, so 110kmh (68mph) on most open roads. So the same as if I'm not towing.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Philanthropist and Adventurer
Srsly? Are you colonizing Mars?
I’m looking at the biggest fridge I can fit length-wise in the back so as not to waste space. I’m more than likely going to go with the Dometic CFX3-55. Plan is to have food for four/five days.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I’m looking at the biggest fridge I can fit length-wise in the back so as not to waste space. I’m more than likely going to go with the Dometic CFX3-55. Plan is to have food for four/five days.

You are making this exceedingly complicated....

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding menu.JPG

....net weight 6 lbs 4 oz. And you don't even need a can opener.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
You are making this exceedingly complicated....

Jeep Wrangler JL Max Payload for Overlanding menu.JPG

....net weight 6 lbs 4 oz. And you don't even need a can opener.
its a three month cross-country trip. I plan on taking canned food and freeze-dried food, but do want to have eggs, bacon, steak, and such.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I deleted my rear seat, saved 50lbs. That gives me a total of 942 lbs to play with.

Ursa minor hard top, 240 lbs, but eliminates the need for a rack, roof top tent, etc for my setup.
Me - 160 lbs

If I'm alone, that leaves me 542lbs of payload for equipment. My fridge, boxes, 5 gallon water tank...hell, even when I bring the Weber Q, 20lb propane tank, and propane fire pit...doesn't even come close to that amount. If I have a passenger, it's my wife, and at 140lbs we're still under.

The factory recovery points on a rubicon are plenty adequate. Bumpers and swing out tier carriers are not necessary, and are massive weights.

Some other good areas to cut are water and extra gas. If you are doing a cross country trip in the JL, you don't need extra fuel or water. There's very very few places you're going to go in the USA where you need to carry more than 5 gallons of water. Extra gas? Unless you're doing some crazy remote parts of Utah or Wyoming and intentionally avoiding cities, gas is everywhere.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
There aren’t a lot of diners in my route
I deleted my rear seat, saved 50lbs. That gives me a total of 942 lbs to play with.

Ursa minor hard top, 240 lbs, but eliminates the need for a rack, roof top tent, etc for my setup.
Me - 160 lbs

If I'm alone, that leaves me 542lbs of payload for equipment. My fridge, boxes, 5 gallon water tank...hell, even when I bring the Weber Q, 20lb propane tank, and propane fire pit...doesn't even come close to that amount. If I have a passenger, it's my wife, and at 140lbs we're still under.

The factory recovery points on a rubicon are plenty adequate. Bumpers and swing out tier carriers are not necessary, and are massive weights.

Some other good areas to cut are water and extra gas. If you are doing a cross country trip in the JL, you don't need extra fuel or water. There's very very few places you're going to go in the USA where you need to carry more than 5 gallons of water. Extra gas? Unless you're doing some crazy remote parts of Utah or Wyoming and intentionally avoiding cities, gas is everywhere.
Roger that on the seat delete. I'm looking at Springtail Solution's seat delete not only to save weight, but free space. I think I like this version better than Goose Gear's. It's metal and almost half the price of the GG's plywood.

I looked at Ursa Minor. Ironically, it's heavier at 270lbs for the JL version. The Gobi rack with accessories is around 100 lbs and the iKamper Mini is 125 lbs for a total of 225lbs. Additionally, I like keeping the modular concept of being able to switch between soft and hard tops when I'm not on an expedition and being able to remove the rack and/or RTT when not needed. For example, If I were to go on a short, weekend trip with just myself, I wouldn't have so much gear and I can get away with sleeping inside. If my JL was a full-time expedition vehicle, I'd go with the Ursa Minor. Thanks!

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
Ignore the payload sticker. Gross vehicle weight is 5700 lbs, curb weight is 4,449-4,521 lbs, depending on the source. That's 1200 lbs. If you are going to load it to the GVWR, make sure you weigh it at the CAT scales to determine if you are exceeding gross axle weights.

Or don't worry about it, its not like you are going to have anyone bother you about the weight of your Jeep.

Pete

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Can I ask, what is an expedition?

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Can I ask, what is an expedition?
"Heading out and finding what's out there." I'm starting from Orlando, making my way to Vancouver Island via Banff and other Canadian national parks, then heading back to hit some US National Parks such as Glacier, Yellowstone, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, and even hit Moab. That's my shortened definition.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Ignore the payload sticker. Gross vehicle weight is 5700 lbs, curb weight is 4,449-4,521 lbs, depending on the source. That's 1200 lbs. If you are going to load it to the GVWR, make sure you weigh it at the CAT scales to determine if you are exceeding gross axle weights.

Or don't worry about it, its not like you are going to have anyone bother you about the weight of your Jeep.

Pete
Roger that. I was more concerned with insurance, in case I get in an accident, and the longevity of the Jeep. I don't want to be busting engine seals or have transmission problems in the middle of a 12,000-15,000 mile journey. Thanks!

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but don't forget to factor the weight of water. It's heavy and adds up fast. I used to go car camping with my friends (overlanding), I slept inside the jeep, didn't even bother with ground tent. 8 gallons of water in the rear cargo area is already enough to put a JLUR off camber. I do think its smart to be mindful of your weight, and how and where you distribute that weight. Most people overlook it and just full send with racks and tents and they never run into issues. But if you want the jeep to handle the way it was designed from the factory, then try to follow the specs.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but don't forget to factor the weight of water. It's heavy and adds up fast. I used to go car camping with my friends (overlanding), I slept inside the jeep, didn't even bother with ground tent. 8 gallons of water in the rear cargo area is already enough to put a JLUR off camber. I do think its smart to be mindful of your weight, and how and where you distribute that weight. Most people overlook it and just full send with racks and tents and they never run into issues. But if you want the jeep to handle the way it was designed from the factory, then try to follow the specs.
Exactly and Good tip with the water! My original plan was to bring two five-gallon jugs (military water can), and then remembered how heavy they can be (pushing 50 lbs each jug). My plan now is to bring a minimum amount of water and filter from whatever source I come across. Thanks!
Sponsored