Max Payload for Overlanding

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Roger that. I was more concerned with insurance, in case I get in an accident, and the longevity of the Jeep. I don't want to be busting engine seals or have transmission problems in the middle of a 12,000-15,000 mile journey. Thanks!
I hear this insurance idea all the time, show me an accident large enough that an insurance company would even think about weighing your vehicle and yet somehow all the contents are still inside? Unless you are massively over weight, like 2-3k lbs, nobody is even going to question it. As far as engine/transmission issues, neither of those would know the difference between 500lbs in the Jeep and a 3,500lb trailer (perfectly legal and within spec considering 10% tongue weight) or 4,000 lbs inside the Jeep (obviously grossly over what any sane person would try to pack inside a JL). Pack reasonably light and wheel on, nobody is ever going to check.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Philanthropist and Adventurer
I hear this insurance idea all the time, show me an accident large enough that an insurance company would even think about weighing your vehicle and yet somehow all the contents are still inside? Unless you are massively over weight, like 2-3k lbs, nobody is even going to question it. As far as engine/transmission issues, neither of those would know the difference between 500lbs in the Jeep and a 3,500lb trailer (perfectly legal and within spec considering 10% tongue weight) or 4,000 lbs inside the Jeep (obviously grossly over what any sane person would try to pack inside a JL). Pack reasonably light and wheel on, nobody is ever going to check.
I hear you. Payload is not to exceed 850lbs. I'm not worried at all about the 3,500 lbs of towing and I'm actually consider dragging a trailer with me instead so that I wouldn't have to worry about weight. The way it's looking in my spreadsheet is that my payload is 1,200lbs. A ton doesn't sound a lot, but that''s 50% more than I should have. Thanks!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You are making this exceedingly complicated....

menu.JPG

....net weight 6 lbs 4 oz. And you don't even need a can opener.
Lol I know right? a combination of this and raw food is what I do. I've kept food cool in my engel cooler for 5 days. I don't get the overhype with these fridges nowadays. You need battery, a way to charge it. It just seems so overkill.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Lol I know right? a combination of this and raw food is what I do. I've kept food cool in my engel cooler for 5 days. I don't get the overhype with these fridges nowadays. You need battery, a way to charge it. It just seems so overkill.
I ate MRE's for years as a Combat Marine. I'll gladly try a fridge with a battery bank and solar panels :)

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
It doesn't happen. It's a myth that is perpetuated on every online forum. I wish this myth would just die already.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
"Heading out and finding what's out there." I'm starting from Orlando, making my way to Vancouver Island via Banff and other Canadian national parks, then heading back to hit some US National Parks such as Glacier, Yellowstone, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, and even hit Moab. That's my shortened definition.
If you make your way around Calgary, Alberta and want to camp I’d be happy to show you a couple of nice remote spots between Calgary and Banff

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It doesn't happen. It's a myth that is perpetuated on every online forum. I wish this myth would just die already.
I’ve been saying the same thing for years and not one person could provide proof that an insurance claim was denied due to being overweight.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
If you make your way around Calgary, Alberta and want to camp I’d be happy to show you a couple of nice remote spots Calgary and Banff
sweet! I’ll be entering Canada in Winnipeg as I grew up there and I’ll make my way across the prairies to Edmonton before hitting the Rockies! Thanks!

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I’ve been saying the same thing for years and not one person could provide proof that an insurance claim was denied due to being overweight.
I used to be an insurance adjuster and my job was to determine liability. I paid thousands of claims for everything under the sun. I worked for two of the largest insurers of automobiles. It's not a thing.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
I used to be an insurance adjuster and my job was to determine liability. I paid thousands of claims for everything under the sun. I worked for two of the largest insurers of automobiles. It's not a thing.
Good to confirm! Thanks!

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

you just have to setup the vehicle the correct way. you can increase Payload capcity and then have it certified.... My JLU sport has the same 850lbs payload when i bought it. i am Lifted on 35's. i am currently waiting on my new brake lines to come in for my powerstop heavy towing brake kit to come in. Along with my HD springs for my lift for the extra weight i carry it should have zero problems with over 1000lb payload. I currently have the maximus 3 roof rack with the aluminum rhino rack and a roam vegabond RTT those combined are at 195lbs. frnt and rear bumps are 200lbs fridge packed is rought 50lbs sleeping gear is under 5 lbs for my wife and i. water for a few days ranges from 50/60lbs about 7 gallons or so. tools are about 50lbs. and spare fluids about 15lbs. plus my girl and i combine are only 300lbs. I dont do to bad going over the sticker payload at roughly 875-900lbs. tires are not accounted for as theyre unsprung weight.... even though it does make it harder to stop its a fine line. but thats what big brake kits are good for... and Payload includes the hardtop from the manufacture on my jeep

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Exactly, the purpose of insurance is to cover you when you or someone else does something stupid. Nobody is ever going to check the weight of your vehicle unless you are running commercially.

OP
OP
Carnage

Carnage

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
you just have to setup the vehicle the correct way. you can increase Payload capcity and then have it certified.... My JLU sport has the same 850lbs payload when i bought it. i am Lifted on 35's. i am currently waiting on my new brake lines to come in for my powerstop heavy towing brake kit to come in. Along with my HD springs for my lift for the extra weight i carry it should have zero problems with over 1000lb payload. I currently have the maximus 3 roof rack with the aluminum rhino rack and a roam vegabond RTT those combined are at 195lbs. frnt and rear bumps are 200lbs fridge packed is rought 50lbs sleeping gear is under 5 lbs for my wife and i. water for a few days ranges from 50/60lbs about 7 gallons or so. tools are about 50lbs. and spare fluids about 15lbs. plus my girl and i combine are only 300lbs. I dont do to bad going over the sticker payload at roughly 875-900lbs. tires are not accounted for as theyre unsprung weight.... even though it does make it harder to stop its a fine line. but thats what big brake kits are good for... and Payload includes the hardtop from the manufacture on my jeep
That's the ballpark of my weight as I have it on my spreadsheet. I'm thinking that if I keep it within the payload limit, I wouldn't have to put better/bigger breaks. I'm gonna opt out of bigger tires and stay with factory 33" wheels and the Rubicon lift. I figure I'm not gonna be hitting challenging trails on an overland trip and the factory set-up will suffice. Thanks and Semper Fi!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That's the ballpark of my weight as I have it on my spreadsheet. I'm thinking that if I keep it within the payload limit, I wouldn't have to put better/bigger breaks. I'm gonna opt out of bigger tires and stay with factory 33" wheels and the Rubicon lift. I figure I'm not gonna be hitting challenging trails on an overland trip and the factory set-up will suffice. Thanks and Semper Fi!
Rubicons come with upgraded brakes over the sport models. You won't need to upgrade there.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

you have the HD brake system on your rubicon already. you should be fine. ive been running without the big brakes for two years without issues. Did a 2000 mile trip in may overlanding from California to AZ NV and Utah. jeep handled all the extra fuel and weight without anyproblem
Sponsored