Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Thanks for the excellent pricedure write-up! Front was almost 1/2 full at 12k miles with no towing. I cheated and used a torx-key set (pics attached) as the shaft is skinny so you don't have to remove the cap bolts.

Only problem I had was a crappy 6-pt Craftsman 10mm socket broke and stripped one of the diff cover bolts. I switched to a thick-walled impact socket after that to break all the cover bolts loose.

Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20211107_184718

Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20211107_184256

Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20211107_184238
Sponsored

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I’m sure this won’t get a lot of traction but has anyone typed up a letter and sent it in to FCA in regards to the locker sensor not being available for purchase? I am going to try and type up something and send it to Jeep, Dana and Jeep Cares. I will try to upload it so others can do the same as I see a lot of people on FB not knowing about this issue and several dealers denying warranty repair because of rehears or lifts being install. This is a horrible practice coming from Jeep on this matter!

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I’m sure this won’t get a lot of traction but has anyone typed up a letter and sent it in to FCA in regards to the locker sensor not being available for purchase? I am going to try and type up something and send it to Jeep, Dana and Jeep Cares. I will try to upload it so others can do the same as I see a lot of people on FB not knowing about this issue and several dealers denying warranty repair because of rehears or lifts being install. This is a horrible practice coming from Jeep on this matter!
FCA is very aware of this issue.

Sponsored

Siskababa

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
For those of you having a little anxiety about drilling too deep and making contact with the pcb, I was too. I used a small round cutting burr appx 1/32" on my dremel, great control and very little pressure needed to make a starter hole. You can then easily increase the hole with burr (or possibly just buy a 3/32" dremel burr?) but I just happened to have a pen vise to fit a 3/32" drill bit to very easily increase the hole size by hand. Mine is a Starrett and a little pricey, but you can find a chinese one on amazon for less than $10
My truck has 35k mi and both sensors had a fair amount of oil in them, and now they are potted. Happy I ran across this thread by chevymitchell while researching about the gear change I'm currently in the middle of. Would have sucked to get it all back together only to have a sensor issues later on.
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20211203_200010
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20211203_200115
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 20211203_200400

Last edited:

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Are you blowing brake cleaner or contact cleaner in prior to potting? Also, everything says three holes yet the pictures only show two. Thx

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Are you blowing brake cleaner or contact cleaner in prior to potting? Also, everything says three holes yet the pictures only show two. Thx
Do not use brake cleaner, only contact cleaner. And there are 3 holes, only 2 on the clear/yellowish cover and the other is in the back of the sensor. There are pictures of this. You will need to make 3 holes or you won’t be able to fill the sensor completely which would defeat the purpose of potting.

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
Are the sensors/axles on the 392 part of this issue as well?

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
My sensors are working and I have a Z harness in the glove box. haha, I need a new project so this is now on my to do list. I'm still unsure of the 3rd hole location in the black part of the housing. Once I pull one and review your instructions, I hope the location becomes clear.
It would be great if someone started an an exchange. I'd be happy to pony up $100 for a pair of potted sensors and exchange mine. Thanks for the thread Shawn.
You can ship them to me and I’ll pot them for you and ship them back. Just cover shipping both ways and the material. I know some are uncomfortable with drilling holes in the sensors, but I’ll do it for free. I don’t mind.

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My sensors are working and I have a Z harness in the glove box. haha, I need a new project so this is now on my to do list. I'm still unsure of the 3rd hole location in the black part of the housing. Once I pull one and review your instructions, I hope the location becomes clear.
It would be great if someone started an an exchange. I'd be happy to pony up $100 for a pair of potted sensors and exchange mine. Thanks for the thread Shawn.
Jeep Wrangler JL Locker Position Sensor Potting - DANA 44 04CA7725-A0BD-467F-A905-E6913242F140

1DEE65D1-4661-45C7-B3E6-49FBCAD9549E.jpeg

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Many thanks to the contributors on this board. Successfully potted my sensors yesterday and reinstalled the sensors and new ARB diff covers today. Everything works great. At 16,500 miles and 22 months of ownership there was no leakage yet. My only screwup was I forgot to push the locking tab on the front sensor once I clicked the connector back in place. Given how secure the connector seemed, I don’t think I’m going to open the diff up to check. Probably will at the next diff oil change however.
Sponsored