wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Depends on what you want to do in AZ. There are trails here that people won't take anyone on if you're not running 1 tons and at least 40s.
I am good with passing them up. I am more in it for the views anyways.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I totally agree with Sean K. about polishing a turd. Case in point, Kevin and Brittney had Childsplays rear D44 trussed and then bent it front to back. One of their vids showed and talked about why they went to a D60. But that was just the beginning of $75k in upgrades and they admit to having $125K into it.
IMO, extreme trails are for custom rock buggies or vendors in Wranglers that have write-offs. Building a Wrangler into an extreme trail rock crawler is like polishing yet another turd. I'm limiting to 6 and lower ratings, better for site seeking.

new LiteBright video has trussed D44 running 40's which breaks alloy axle shaft @ 18:45

Last edited:

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
If you are planning on doing 40’s, I’d strongly recommend swapping axles and installing Dana 60’s or bigger. Even some of the high end axle builders will recommend 60’s or bigger for 40” tires. I’d hate to see you spend good money to later be disappointed and burdened with mechanical failures/problems.

Reactions: J0E

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ted, understanding you already have several of these, here's the basics someone running 40's should consider.

Component needs when running 40's on D44's:
  • Gears
    • Currently running 5.13's here
  • Upgraded axle shafts
    • Running RCV's up front and Yukons in the rear
  • Track Bar, Tie Rod and Drag Link
    • I'm running the full Steersmarts setup
  • Hydro Assist (PSC or Redneck Ram)
    • Redneck Ram kit will arrive here next week.
    • Mine will arrive with the AE Series gear box already ported
    • Turning on the trails with a stock gear box, when wheel is pinned, will stress the system significantly
      • I've had to bounce my way out of a few situations over the past few months
  • Upgraded Ball Joints
  • Fender cuts
    • Quite a bit off the the rear, and stock Rubicon rails need to be trimmed.
    • I've simply split the front and rear fenders and am running the AAL Highlines
  • Fender Liner modification
    • Artec liners up front, and I've modified the stock liners in the rear
The above has served me very well, and while I'm still waiting on the Hydro parts and the ball joints, the Jeep's taking intermediate and difficult rated trails with no issues.

My Garage if interested:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/the-bear-2018-jlur.240/

Have fun with it!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Ted, understanding you already have several of these, here's the basics someone running 40's should consider.

• Gears
  • Upgraded axle shafts
    • Turning on the trails with a stock gear box, when wheel is pinned, will stress the system significantly
  • Upgraded Ball Joints
  • Fender cuts
The above has served me very well, and while I'm still waiting on the Hydro parts and the ball joints, the Jeep's taking intermediate and difficult rated trails with no issues.

My Garage if interested:

Have fun with it!
I have already done the following:
  • Gears
  • Upgraded axle shafts
and I added the Steering box/trackbar frame brace.

I already plan to add the following. I am currently waiting on the AAL lights to arrive so I can split and cut the fenders.
  • Upgraded Ball Joints
  • Fender cuts

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
@wibornz If your wife is harder on the skinny pedal and you/she want to wheel trails that semi-require 40s, it seems to make alot of sense to sell your d44s while they are still in good condition for $3500 ish and upgrade to d60s You could pull the RCV's and prob sell them for an additional $1k. Put that $4500 towards d60s and buy once cry once. I've talked with Dana and several reputable offroad shops and nobody is recommending wheelin larger than a 37/38 on these rubi axles. On 37s, Dana said you need to be smart with the skinny pedal.

I believe Litebrite was running 5.13s + lightweight Milestar 38s on RCV front + chromoly rear when they bent the rear housing + broke teeth on the rear ring and pinion. Considering Milestars don't grip like a stt pro or mud grappler...I imagine a 40" stt pro or mud grappler would put a good bit more torque on the axles. Since you guys wheel hard/alot, the peace of mind of having d60s long term is worth it IMHO.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
@wibornz If your wife is harder on the skinny pedal and you/she want to wheel trails that semi-require 40s, it seems to make alot of sense to sell your d44s while they are still in good condition for $3500 ish and upgrade to d60s You could pull the RCV's and prob sell them for an additional $1k. Put that $4500 towards d60s and buy once cry once. I've talked with Dana and several reputable offroad shops and nobody is recommending wheelin larger than a 37/38 on these rubi axles. On 37s, Dana said you need to be smart with the skinny pedal.

I believe Litebrite was running 5.13s + lightweight Milestar 38s on RCV front + chromoly rear when they bent the rear housing + broke teeth on the rear ring and pinion. Considering Milestars don't grip like a stt pro or mud grappler...I imagine a 40" stt pro or mud grappler would put a good bit more torque on the axles. Since you guys wheel hard/alot, the peace of mind of having d60s long term is worth it IMHO.

I know, I don't need the D60, but my wife will. She is the Kevin in our relationship. I am just trying not to have to cry so much and so often.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I know, I don't need the D60, but my wife will. She is the Kevin in our relationship. I am just trying not to have to cry so much and so often.
I hear ya...simply trying to help keep you from crying more often and more overall in the long run. Bear in mind, you'll also crush the resale of your current axles if you bend the housing.:flag:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I hear ya...simply trying to help keep you from crying more often and more overall in the long run. Bear in mind, you'll also crush the resale of your current axles if you bend the housing.:flag:
I understand that. This is kind of my life...

Jeep Wrangler JL Lets talk about running 40s 1599648349088

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
There’s worse problems to have! The wife and I got back from literally dragging our JL across the rubicon, and she said we should get better skid plates and 37s before next year. I have to admit it was one of the sexiest things she’s ever said!

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
There’s worse problems to have! The wife and I got back from literally dragging our JL across the rubicon, and she said we should get better skid plates and 37s before next year. I have to admit it was one of the sexiest things she’s ever said!
When we did the Rubicon Trail, our friends Bob & Kimberly JLUR was a stock JLUR with 35s, and no lift. We came to a spot that we had a discussion about turning around. Their Jeep was dragging all over the place and had been winched a couple time. Mind you it had been a long day at this point and Kimberly said, and I quate; "I would rather flip this bitch upside down and light it on fire than turn around." We continued on.... and they are buying more Jeep parts.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I wound up going with the KM3 39's, I think they're a good compromise at 87 lbs and 37.5 inches mounted. With all the traction out here and way I wheel my setup will last long enough for me to put some semifloat 60's on it. I am not going full float, I don't jump my Jeep and I wheel slow.

I'm running

RCV front / Dana Spicer cromoly rear
Front truss / rear truss just needs to be welded
After market diff covers
Dynatrac Ball Joints
Method 701 wheels, 34 lb each
BFG 39x13.5r17 KM3 @ 87 lbs

Haha funny enough, I have litebrites old front 1310 driveshaft in my Jeep for extra mojo.

Darkseid

First Name
Mr. Darkseid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

• Gears
  • Upgraded axle shafts
  • Upgraded Ball Joints
  • Fender cuts

My Garage if interested:

Have fun with it!
Is that a w7 sitting above the air compressor?

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I've been in the same position thinking about running 40's down the road. My original plan was 2.5" lift and 35's, bumpers, sliders, etc... Every day I see my Jeep on 2.5" of lift and 35's, I can't help think to myself "it looks so small". I've wheeled in 5 different states knocking out some badge trails and I just want to keep going bigger. The past few years my motto has been "buy once, cry once" and that's the approach i'm taking with the rest of my build.

My JLU is a 2018 Sport S with a 2.5" Clayton Offroad Overland Plus lift and 35" tires. I've really enjoyed my Clayton lift but I don't think swapping for their 3.5" springs will fit the bill. I think swapping to a 4.5" kit is going to be the best option, though I'm not sure which kit yet.

Obviously the stock M186 front axle won't suffice and the M220 LSD i picked up at a great price, won't be staying on the vehicle either. I considered finding D44 take off's and putting money into beefing them up but I don't get the piece of mind like I would with 60's. Buy once, cry once, right? The Fusion Elite Kingpin 60 front axle and Elite 60 Full Float rear axle combo should handle anything it's up against. 5.13 gears, Eaton E-lockers, RCV's, chromoly shafts, everything.

https://www.fusion4x4.com/online-st...ite-Full-Float-60-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-p111778164

Custom drive shafts will go in. Remaining steering will be beefed up. Stock fenders will get replaced with some sort of flat fender. And a new set of beadlocks will compliment the 40's. It'll be a minute before all this happens because there's $20K parts from the axle and lift alone. The Jeep is getting paid off early in 2021 and once that's done, it's game on.
Sponsored