Soo...EJS is done - what about 38-40s?

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
I am one of the Mojitoholics waiting for my Jeep to eventually be built...and in the mean time, I am trying to determine how I want to build it up. During Easter Jeep Safari, there were a number of rigs running 40s on stock axles and abusing the hell out of them with no issues. I saw that 40s will work with some trimming and would be interested to know whether anyone has additional information on trying to run wide 38s (38x15.5...I know..) or 40s on just a 2.5" lift.

Anyone else planning to do the same?

Cheers :beer:
Sponsored

Ironman97459

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon, 2017 f350, 2016 Z06, 2016 escalade 1989 M923a2
Occupation
Driver
I will be running 40’s on 3.5 inch lift. Patiently waiting for lift.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I know the JL D44 axles are better than the JK D44 axles, but I still wouldn’t run 40’s on them if I planned to wheel it. I say that because there are guys running 40’s on D60’s in JK’s snapping axles.

Sure its cool to see vendors flogging JL’s on 40’s like a red headed step child and claiming no issues after a week of wheeling which I’m sure is accurate. The true test of how well those rigs are holding up will be in 6 months to a year from now.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I know the JL D44 axles are better than the JK D44 axles, but I still wouldn’t run 40’s on them if I planned to wheel it. I say that because there are guys running 40’s on D60’s in JK’s snapping axles.

Sure its cool to see vendors flogging JL’s on 40’s like a red headed step child and claiming no issues after a week of wheeling which I’m sure is accurate. The true test of how well those rigs are holding up will be in 6 months to a year from now.
The question is do the new housings bend and do the C's bend? Axles break, but you could upgrade those with RCV's or some chromolly axles.

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
The question is do the new housings bend and do the C's bend? Axles break, but you could upgrade those with RCV's or some chromolly axles.
Of course it will bend if you push it to far beyond limits of it was designed for. Just because it’s better than what came on the JK does not mean it’s impervious to the abuse 40’s will give it. The hanging question mark that is the giant unknown for everyone is what is that limit. My guess is within the next year people who thought it’d be cool to go big will be finding out.

The housing will probably hold up for daily driver use for a while, but eventually the hub or axle bearings are going to fail. Since the C’s are aluminum their really is no way to reinforce them. Sure you can upgrade shafts, however you still have other weak links in the system. My personal feelings are they designed the JL to hit the sweet spot everyone was aiming for on the JK, a LCOG lift on 37’s.

OP
OP
GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know it is early but I am anxious for more real world testing. I saw some videos of some pretty hard abuse at EJS on 40s and while no damage was reported, I am curious about the long term durability as you mentioned. I was initially thinking 35s or 37s would suffice...but this JL can handle some big tires!

MojitoWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Z28 R/S
Occupation
Stock Trader
9ED64BE1-93CA-497F-ADE0-D5D110D35938.png
I know it is early but I am anxious for more real world testing. I saw some videos of some pretty hard abuse at EJS on 40s and while no damage was reported, I am curious about the long term durability as you mentioned. I was initially thinking 35s or 37s would suffice...but this JL can handle some big tires!
The 40” Cooper is only 9 lbs heavier than the 37” and it’s a “C” rated tire to boot! I will be getting Genright aluminum fenders and body armor along with a good lift and considering the 40s. Figure by time I actually see a mojito Wrangler, then order mine, and receive it we should have a better idea of how durable the new Dana 44s are.

OP
OP
GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9ED64BE1-93CA-497F-ADE0-D5D110D35938.png
The 40” Cooper is only 9 lbs heavier than the 37” and it’s a “C” rated tire to boot! I will be getting Genright aluminum fenders and body armor along with a good lift and considering the 40s. Figure by time I actually see a mojito Wrangler, then order mine, and receive it we should have a better idea of how durable the new Dana 44s are.
Haha, yea it might be Easter Jeep Safari 2019 by then!! :facepalm:
Sponsored