38 vs 40s and whats needed to run both.

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
I went with the 38s because I heard great things about the Patagonias. But this isn't about that because both are offered in 38s and 40s.

I wanted to go with 40s but backed out due to not knowing how bad of a hit 40s will cause on mpg. The wear and tear I think it may cause over the the 38s. And my axles and rear end breaking into a million pieces once my tires touch grass. I see a few ppl running up to 38 size tire with no regear but everyone with 40s has dine the regear so I'm assuming a regear is a must, which personally I would want to do regardless because I want it to drive like factory or better as I expect while modding.

So what's a good parts list to run 40s or are 40s the new 38s? I felt like last week 38s were the new 37s. And when jeep came out with the new JL 37s was the new 35s.
Sponsored

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
I’ve seen built 44’s blow up on 47’s and full float 60’s snap shafts like twigs with 40’s. I am curious to see what these rubicon axles actually put up with in the long term, but my assumption is that even running 37’s is pushing some stuff like your steering components a little to hard to expect any kind of longevity.

Reactions: J0E

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Realistically, you’ll need about 4 inches of lift, and aftermarket axles front
And rear if u plan on wheeling. As far as gearing, depending on how
Much highway you’ll probably want 5.13’s on 40’s. You could possibly get by with the brakes. Steering idk how the new hydro electric will work for you as well as components. Plan B is just mount them and replace things as they fail...
Sponsored