Is the Sky one touch permanent?

Sherifftruman

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUS
I had a 2013 jk 4 door hardtop that i loved to have the 'whole" top off. I loved how it looked with the top off. But it was a pain if it was a week of 50 percent chance of rain every day for a week.. So the top stayed on. Last summer I don't think I even had it off. But since i have my sky touch top it is back almost every day that its sunny(or even better...when its cloudy!) Last week i even had the back windows out. I AM TELLING YOU, FROM THE DRIVERS SEAT WITH THE BACK WINDOWS OUT YOU HAVE 90% OF THE OPENESS OF THE JK WITH THE HARDTOP OFF.

And guess what? If its starting to rain I can have it back whole in about 2 minutes. I think the Jl is a huge upgrade over the jk for me, but I think the sky top is a game changer for some people.
Completely agree. Weā€™ve had ours about a month and while you donā€™t have quite as much openness as with no top or the soft top, itā€™s well worth the ability to put the top up and down as the weather suits and never have to worry about rain. On our JK, my wife would just take the panels out and we only took the whole top off a few times. Now the roof is open 90z of the time the vehicle leaves the driveway.
Sponsored

D2340

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I eased out of my SRT Challenger into the JLRU and I have to say I'm loving it. Zero regret!
The Sky one top is is amazing.

Nacho and Blue.JPG

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
So do you guys have any problems with leaks? Can you use a sunshade? I think this would be a great option for my husband and I when we eventually trade in his JKU. The freedom panels are awesome but they are really just a PITA. I have a 2 door soft top so it's in sunrider position nearly everyday :like:

WranglerHack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Moab
So do you guys have any problems with leaks? Can you use a sunshade? I think this would be a great option for my husband and I when we eventually trade in his JKU. The freedom panels are awesome but they are really just a PITA. I have a 2 door soft top so it's in sunrider position nearly everyday :like:
I have just over 3k miles on my JL and LOTS of rain lately, so far (knock on wood) no issues with leaks or anything else related to the sky touch roof....hope I didn't just jinx myself! haha

jeepscout

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I really enjoy mine. I don't get much time to ride trails and such so it is convenient for when the weather is nice. I've had several Wranglers and all tops. This is my favorite so far for my purposes. Some people can go topless all spring, summer and fall but that isn't an option for me so this top works best. I'm still looking for a sun shade solution. There doesn't seem to be anything "off the shelf" that will work just yet. I also think it may need to be a 2 piece kit rather than the one piece that covers both front an rear. The main problem I see now is securing the front over the windshield. There is such a small gap between the roof and the top of the windshield that I'm fairly sure the bungee straps won't fit. I'm going to try a wire tie and see if it is thin enough to fit. If I find a way, I will post it. If you don't have a place to lift and store a hard top, this is a great top. I worry about long term issues such as motor, gears and leaking but so far, no leaks or problems.

Sponsored

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I read this thread twice and I donā€™t feel like I have an answer to the OP question. I love the Sky One Touch but nothing last forever. Iā€™ll be dumping it in 10 years. Why can I not simply drop hard top replacement on there? I saw 2-3 mentions of latches but I donā€™t get it, are the latches not affixed to the hardtop?

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I read this thread twice and I donā€™t feel like I have an answer to the OP question. I love the Sky One Touch but nothing last forever. Iā€™ll be dumping it in 10 years. Why can I not simply drop hard top replacement on there? I saw 2-3 mentions of latches but I donā€™t get it, are the latches not affixed to the hardtop?
The top of the windshield is different and must be replaced so the latches have something to engage with. (One Touch windshield piece has buttons and no latching surfaces)

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I havenā€™t had any leaks and I pressure wash mine a lot. I think the SOT precludes the need for a sunshade. If it gets too hot you just press the button and in 15 seconds youā€™re in the shade. You can also stop the top anywhere along the way, so if a back seat occupant wants shade but you want sun, no problem.

This weekend I timed myself and went from buttoned up to naked in 11 minutes. Doors and everything

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I worry about long term issues such as motor, gears and leaking but so far, no leaks or problems.
I would not really worry about it. While it may be knew to the wrangler, the style of sliding cloth roof has been around for dogs years. Especially in the Fiat group. Maybe if you were opening that top 120 times a day you would get issues some years down the line, but not in normal use.
I am not sure exactly how many cycles the system is tested to, but we can say at the minimum it would be 100,000 cycles. Likely much more than that.
Realistically you will open your top 300 days in the year. Assuming you live in a decent climate with plenty of sun.
So, let's say you open to and from work. That is 1200 activations of the system per year. It would still take you 83 years to get to 100k cycles.
As long as you take care to keep it clean and ensure proper seal care, you will be fine.

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I'd just like to restate the obvious for our "special" contributors on this thread.

1. 100% of the negative comments are from people who don't have the top.

2. Obviously you didn't like the looks of it or you would have ordered one, freaking duh. But your opinion on how it looks is irrelevant in anyone else's life. You might as well be discussing what color is "best".

3. You have no idea what it's like living with the SOT because...wait for it...you don't have one. Your entire opinion is based on the subjective, unsupported hair-brained notions and general buffoonery.

5. "How it looks" is f*cking irrelevant unless a sight impaired person asks your opinion. Do you think the OP is blind? Do you think the OP is mentally challenged and can't form an opinion on something so simple and needs your help? Do you think your opinion is going to somehow save the internet? To think that some person whom you've never met, never will meet and have no commonalities or connections with besides this forum cares about your opinion on how something looks is extremely arrogant and ignorant.

"I think it's ugly." Well thanks, Joe from Pasadena, now i will sleep well tonight. So sad, so pathetic.
Lol my guy, someone commented why waste your money...key word YOUR lol

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Did the Liberty with that craptastic roof teach you people anything?
I don't think it is very relevant comparing parts availability for the Liberty with anything on the Wrangler. While they both have Jeep badges, the products & support for Wranglers is far greater and I would expect to be able to keep just about anything working.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it is very relevant comparing parts availability for the Liberty with anything on the Wrangler. While they both have Jeep badges, the products & support for Wranglers is far greater and I would expect to be able to keep just about anything working.
And you'll have a lot more access to replacement parts because its just beginning its production lifetime.

I too think its unfair to compare this with the old top on the Liberty because that's the old design.

jeepscout

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Vehicle Showcase