Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
My wife was lobbying for the One touch. I am curious about noise and wind resistance with the rear door being stationary (as I understand it). Any comments on wind, aerodynamic related issues like noise and such?
I drove last summer many times roof open, doors off and rear windows out. No extra noise and no wind resistance that I could tell. One small negative though and I wrote this in another thread. Being your tailgate is closed and your rear window is closed you get some kind of a vortex back there on the highway. No extra noise but if you’ve got something light in the cargo area you better strap it in. Wife and I went food shopping and had those reusable bags back there. Left with 6 got to the store with 2. Never had anything blow out with my old soft top probably because the back window rolled up. Not a problem if you’re ready for it though. Simple solution, I stopped at an auto store and bought a pack of those colored stretch straps. I keep them below the cargo mat.
Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I actually run the rear window up quite a bit when I have my quarter windows out if I'm just tooling around town. Been fine but I do put a hang tag on my rear view mirror to remind me not to back into anything that might hit it or drive under low clearance places. (I had it from when I had a roof rack to remind myself there were stuff up there)

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Sky top is where it's at, soft top
I actually run the rear window up quite a bit when I have my quarter windows out if I'm just tooling around town. Been fine but I do put a hang tag on my rear view mirror to remind me not to back into anything that might hit it or drive under low clearance places. (I had it from when I had a roof rack to remind myself there were stuff up there)
Around town I also have no issues, once I left the office and forgot to close it...went on the highway going around 75 for a good 40 minutes and nothing happened...just don't want to make a habit out of it.

OP
OP

trailchaser

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Uh, my soft top folds down in 10 seconds. Give it another 30 seconds to fold up and latch.

Don't know why you all are saying the Sky One Touch is the only top option that let's you drop the top easily. Hard top is obviously not easy, but the soft top is easy as heck and fast.

And no, I have no issues with the soft top in winter.
I thought about a soft top but hated the look so sky top one out

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Will it eventually ruin the window pistons though?

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Please post a pic with windows out and doors in when you do it!
I will do that. I keep wanting to put on but the rain keeps popping up on forecast and wife can't take the cold so been waiting since x-mas for few good days to try them.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I drove last summer many times roof open, doors off and rear windows out. No extra noise and no wind resistance that I could tell. One small negative though and I wrote this in another thread. Being your tailgate is closed and your rear window is closed you get some kind of a vortex back there on the highway. No extra noise but if you’ve got something light in the cargo area you better strap it in. Wife and I went food shopping and had those reusable bags back there. Left with 6 got to the store with 2. Never had anything blow out with my old soft top probably because the back window rolled up. Not a problem if you’re ready for it though. Simple solution, I stopped at an auto store and bought a pack of those colored stretch straps. I keep them below the cargo mat.
Hey Steve, I did break my record. I drove for about 15 miles in 21-degree temp a few weeks ago. Wore good coat but seats warm and heater blowing made it ok. I love the cold but 21 was a tad cold you might say. lol :jk::flag::rock:

Record.jpg

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
@sf5211, I keep my rear window in both my jku and liberty open for my dog fairly regularly. I don't believe my window struts have worn out any faster than normal. They are very easy to replace/not that expensive (liberty is 14 years old and I have only replaced them once).

Only thing to be careful of is if you add a tire carrier (AEV in my case) that any light posts that stick up may impact the glass if you were to hit a bump too hard with weak struts. Has not happened to me but I do worry about it so I take bumps slow.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Will it eventually ruin the window pistons though?
I doubt it. Honestly I’m more worried about the fragile defroster cable attachment in the wind than the struts.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Steve, I did break my record. I drove for about 15 miles in 21-degree temp a few weeks ago. Wore good coat but seats warm and heater blowing made it ok. I love the cold but 21 was a tad cold you might say. lol :jk::flag::rock:

Record.jpg
Hi

Record.jpg
Hi Curtis, man you’re amazing. I’ve got my cabin temp set at 70 and haven’t touched my roof since October. It could be broken and I wouldn’t know it. God bless you my brother. You should think of that Polar Bear club. (Those people that jump in the ocean mid winter). I just said to the wife yesterday “I can’t wait for April to open up the Jeep again “. She of course said sarcastically “oh yea I can’t wait either “. (She hates it open)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi

Hi Curtis, man you’re amazing. I’ve got my cabin temp set at 70 and haven’t touched my roof since October. It could be broken and I wouldn’t know it. God bless you my brother. You should think of that Polar Bear club. (Those people that jump in the ocean mid winter). I just said to the wife yesterday “I can’t wait for April to open up the Jeep again “. She of course said sarcastically “oh yea I can’t wait either “. (She hates it open)
Yea, my wife doesn't like the hair blowing in the face. I went to a high and tight cut just to stop that on my hair. lol
Sponsored