Sponsored

Is the Sky One-Touch top available post purchase?

jjonesx86

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Gates Foundation
This option wasn’t available when I bought my Jeep and I’m wondering what folks think the odds of buying one aftermarket or from Jeep will be? There are pros and cons to each top and while I’m pretty happy with my hardtop the appeal of open air driving without the hassle is high.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I hoped others would take a crack at this because I'm not sure.

I see no reason why the Powertop won't be a purchasable after sale product from FCA eventually, nor incompatible with any of the trim levels, but certainly the Sahara and Rubicon models that it's being offered for.

It's my educated guess that there is nothing about the 2018, that was originally slated to get this top, that would make it incompatible with FCA finally getting around to offering it in the 2019.

My understanding is that its installation and removal is not akin to the level of difficulty associated with either the hard or soft top's removal. I understand that it is pretty much something best left for the dealer to do, as alignment issues make it an "eight handed" job.

Maybe my Sunrider only JLU soft top opener DIY is enough for you. I'm working on the instructions and should have them out in a few days....it's not rocket science to duplicate. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/diy-power-soft-top.13374/#post-402695

Maybe you'd rather wait for Mytop to come out with its JL([U)] version. https://mytop.us/

Jeff, we all have the line at which we define "hassle" ...to refer to your post. That yours and mine may differ speaks nothing good or bad about either of us. But I am presuming that the steps involved with Freedom Panel removal, or taking the Soft Top to Sunrider or Full Open position may not be your thing.

Another thought, Bestop expects to make their Sunrider Freedom Panel replacement for the hardtop available for the JLU in a matter of months/weeks. I don't know if you're familiar with it.

https://www.bestop.com/sunrider-for-hardtop-jl-wrangler

(Note: the word Sunrider has two meanings in this post. There's Sunrider position, i.e. the first open position for the OEM soft top, and then there's the Sunrider product: a Hard top Freedom Panel replacement.)

This may represent a compromise in not only ease, but wallet. But considering the front seat is what gets exposed with this product, and the front seats sits only two, those strapping lads may have to alternate riding "shotgun."

Happy trails.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Actually there’s a thread on here somewhere....someone bought an incomplete top off ebay and fitted it, before they were actually available. It listed all the parts with numbers to fit the top, so it CAN, be done..... because it has been, just don’t think it’s an easy process.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Save a bunch of money and get a soft top - the new design is literally a piece of cake to drop down. I can have windows out and top down in 5mins or less.

Sponsored

jenzeee

First Name
Jens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Actually there’s a thread on here somewhere....someone bought an incomplete top off ebay and fitted it, before they were actually available. It listed all the parts with numbers to fit the top, so it CAN, be done..... because it has been, just don’t think it’s an easy process.
Can’t find the thread.
Can you look it up and post (or PM) the link?

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Can’t find the thread.
Can you look it up and post (or PM) the link?

I’m pretty illiterate on here, and don’t know how to do a link. I found it with the search just now though. The thread is titled “just installed sky one touch retractable power top” and it’s now in the exterior mods thread. Hope this is of some help to you.