Is the Sky one touch permanent?

RTW Colorado

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
All this talk about how goofy the Jeep looks with the Sky top is funny. The Sunrider top on a hard top - with all the stuff sticking straight up when its open, talk about looks!
Sponsored

WranglerHack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Moab
I got my 1st Jeep with the sky touch roof at the end of march and love it! Love mostly because I am lazy :LOL: , but really mostly because I do not have the space to store the hardtop. It's really nice to get in the car at the end of the work day (and weekends), while the weather is beautiful, and put down all the windows and pop the sky touch open for the 40min ride home. Good luck, you're gonna love it :like:

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I'd just like to restate the obvious for our "special" contributors on this thread.

1. 100% of the negative comments are from people who don't have the top.

2. Obviously you didn't like the looks of it or you would have ordered one, freaking duh. But your opinion on how it looks is irrelevant in anyone else's life. You might as well be discussing what color is "best".

3. You have no idea what it's like living with the SOT because...wait for it...you don't have one. Your entire opinion is based on the subjective, unsupported hair-brained notions and general buffoonery.

5. "How it looks" is f*cking irrelevant unless a sight impaired person asks your opinion. Do you think the OP is blind? Do you think the OP is mentally challenged and can't form an opinion on something so simple and needs your help? Do you think your opinion is going to somehow save the internet? To think that some person whom you've never met, never will meet and have no commonalities or connections with besides this forum cares about your opinion on how something looks is extremely arrogant and ignorant.

"I think it's ugly." Well thanks, Joe from Pasadena, now i will sleep well tonight. So sad, so pathetic.

spud

First Name
DW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler rubicon
IDK, maybe I am weird, but WTF would you get a $5000 top, just to replace it in a few years with a real JEEP top?
ohh and for those that do not know...A soft top is the real JEEP top.
Sky one Touch is an abomination and should have never been an option on a wrangler IMO.

Did the Liberty with that craptastic roof teach you people anything?

Ever seen a pic of a doorless, side windows out Jeep with the sky one touch?

If you think that looks good, I have a piece of doodie to sell you.
I really like the Sky Top. Mine gets a lot of use, with no problems, and it is just a fun option. After all Jeeps are multi utility vehicle that’s supposed to be fun to have and enjoy. I can chase cattle, drive to the store or meetings plow through snow and pull it behind a motor home. The things that jeeps can be used for is endless so why not have some fun at your fingertips?

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I'm planning on an order in a few months and the more I'm reading about the SOT, the more its looking like that's the top for me. Sure its a tad odd looking if you take the doors off of it and the back windows out (kinda a safari look to me) but since I have a 1 and 3 year old kiddos with car seats, my doors and windows will be stuck on more than they're off by a lot. Being able to put down my windows and use the SOT, sound great to me!

Fatboy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab, 2014 Rubicon X
Vehicle Showcase
All the negative comments about the sky top are from people that don't have one. I got the sky top even though i didn't really want it (wife). The first week i scoffed at the looks of it when the doors were off and top back. But then i started using it and there's absolutely no way in hell i would trade it. It's probably the coolest feature for Jeeps in quite a while. I go topless EVERY SINGLE DAY. You can't do that with any other top unless you live in a desert or something. If i run to the grocery store, open the top. Get to the grocery store, close the top. Get out on the road, open the top. Get into some traffic and its really hot, close the top. Van Halen comes on the radio, open the top and jam out. Phil Collins comes on the radio, close the top and jam out where nobody can hear you. See how easy that is?

And i also discovered that even though i don't love the way it looks naked, I can't see that shit from the driver's seat.
Awesome post...LoL

You had me at 'Van Halen comes on the radio, open the top'....

Fatboy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab, 2014 Rubicon X
Vehicle Showcase
If you're intent on removing the Sky top, it would be better off just getting a regular hard top and buying a Sunrider to go along with it. It's not as open as the Sky top, but unless you have the doors off, there isn't much of a noticeable difference from the driver's seat with having the entire roof off vs just the front because of the full frame door design (IMO).

https://www.quadratec.com/p/bestop/twill-sunrider-hardtop-20-jeep-wrangler-jl
Does the Sunrider open up to almost the same amount as the Freedom Tops? I've never seen one in person, but since it folds back, I always thought that you only got about half of the open-ness (I realize that is not a word) as the Freedom Tops....

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
For the price, it is pretty unlikely that anyone who actually buys the top will be swapping it out for soft top, or a standard hardtop at any point in the future.
That being the case, I wish that Jeep would have offer / designed the one touch top fixed as part of the body, offering structural support for a roof top tent or rack without that the need for installing a separate rack with struts down to the frame. Plenty of folks out there who have no interest to taking the top off, but would enjoy what is basically a mega sunroof.
I would have dropped an extra 5k on that.
That option would also make it easier to build in rear curtain side airbags.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
The Jeep with the sky Touch is a true SUV.

Sponsored

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
For the price, it is pretty unlikely that anyone who actually buys the top will be swapping it out for soft top, or a standard hardtop at any point in the future.
I worry that we all will have to do it in future. It won't work forever. Probably just 3-4 years.

ugafan706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimted Rubicon v6 auto red skytouch top
I had a 2013 jk 4 door hardtop that i loved to have the 'whole" top off. I loved how it looked with the top off. But it was a pain if it was a week of 50 percent chance of rain every day for a week.. So the top stayed on. Last summer I don't think I even had it off. But since i have my sky touch top it is back almost every day that its sunny(or even better...when its cloudy!) Last week i even had the back windows out. I AM TELLING YOU, FROM THE DRIVERS SEAT WITH THE BACK WINDOWS OUT YOU HAVE 90% OF THE OPENESS OF THE JK WITH THE HARDTOP OFF.

And guess what? If its starting to rain I can have it back whole in about 2 minutes. I think the Jl is a huge upgrade over the jk for me, but I think the sky top is a game changer for some people.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Does the Sunrider open up to almost the same amount as the Freedom Tops? I've never seen one in person, but since it folds back, I always thought that you only got about half of the open-ness (I realize that is not a word) as the Freedom Tops....
I don't have one so I can't say for certain. Based on the pictures of it open, it looks like it gives you about 90% of the opening compared to having the freedom panels off.

Bestop-52452-17-Sunrider-For-Hardtop-JL-Close-Side-Angle-Fully-Opened.jpg

Tcijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara. 2023 JLURXR
Occupation
Insurance
sky top was a game changer for my wife.