Sponsored

Is overheating an issue?

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Hereā€™s the problem! Both the new eco diesels 2020 JLURD and the 2021 JT Diesel are both de rating at low outside temps. They both canā€™t even hold the speed limit on roads in Idaho or in Utah. Neither vehicle is towing. Neither vehicle even has a tent or camping gear. They only have luggage for 3 to 4 and a cooler and food. Check the Gladiator forum and see all the disappointed persons trying to tow with there eco diesel. This not even including those people that are all shaking their heads because they thought they would be able to tow with their diesel and are not internet savvy or followers. Itā€™s a problem Jeep needs to fix. I change my oil every 5000 needed or not. I donā€™t care if the oil will take the heat. I just want to drive on the road at the posted speed limit that the government set for me. Iā€™m not expecting that out of the CJ. Come on, Iā€™m driving in the year 2021
Little more time this morning. What you describe is not acceptable from a new vehicle. What you described is also not the norm. I want to share info to help find the problem. That is why I use the forums.

I started another thread asking ā€œwhat type of diesel are you usingā€. I though this would get a lot of replies. It did not get any specific replies.

Fuel type and quality play a huge role in engine performance. More so with a diesel. The smaller more MPG a diesel gets the easier it is to see when fuel is not of a high quality.

Iā€™ve driven many diesels over the last 20 years. I will use my 2012 2.0 VW TDI for reference. This vehicle with good fuel would consistently get in the mid 40ā€™s with cruise control set at 82 mph. I did the same exact drive every day for months at a time, over several years. Sometimes I would only get in the high 30ā€™s mpg. Wind, weather taken into account the lower MPG could be traced back to lower quality fuel. I used various types of fuel additives to help correct. It was common enough that I would carry additives with me and be able to see the fuel quality within the first 100 miles. Sometimes it would correct to the mid 40 mpg sometimes not.
I never checked the engine temps with the 2.0.

With the many Duramax trucks I have driven I would use Bio Diesel on occasion. The BD always lowered fuel economy and the engine would run noticeable hotter.
Bio diesel in my EcoDiesel did the same thing. The owners manual almost says donā€™t use it.

I donā€™t think fuel stations actually know what they are selling you. Like everything else they buy the cheapest they can and sell it for the most they can. Ignorance is great.

I live in California and have made many trips between Cali and the upper MidWest. Probably 50 times over the last 15 plus years. I would most often get better MPG and lower operating temps when leaving Cali than on the return trip. I think with all the California regulations the fuel is better most of the time. I know, start the šŸ”„

I would try different fueling stations. Try fuel additives. Only use #2 diesel. Make sure only the proper spec oil is going in.

I saw over 10% changes to fuel economy in my TDI with fuel quality. Fuel quality also has an effect on engine temps. If itā€™s 10%, your problem may be solved.

Last edited:

DEZELJP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel
Occupation
Retired
@NCJL totally agree with you. My Superdutyā€˜s performance and fuel economy had noticeable changes between fuels also. Even a difference between summer and winter blends. Both Ecos are running #2 (so says the pumps) Both are under Jeep wave being changed at local dealer. Dealer is using 5-40 Rotella (so says the receipt). Just returned from the coast with 2014 eco pulling 25ft loaded travel trailer at 6000+ lbs. It held 60mph on local passes running up to 260 degrees, but never goes into derate. Good info on fuel to include for all, thx

houseofdiesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel & 2021 392
Water boils at 212* so that 250* oil temps are driving up your coolant temps past 212*. Now don't forget that as you increase in elevation say like Denver at a mile high, boiling temp is actually going to drop close to 200*. So I don't ever want my oil temps over 220* under the absolute worst conditions. Not all summer long every time I hit a grade.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Is Rotella actually approved for use in Gen 3 EcoDiesel?
I checked Shell website. Didnā€™t have any oils for EcoDiesel they recommended.
Also couldnā€™t find any actual specs for the oil other than the typical we are better statements with numberless charts.

Sponsored

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Water boils at 212* so that 250* oil temps are driving up your coolant temps past 212*. Now don't forget that as you increase in elevation say like Denver at a mile high, boiling temp is actually going to drop close to 200*. So I don't ever want my oil temps over 220* under the absolute worst conditions. Not all summer long every time I hit a grade.
We donā€™t use just water. We use a 50/50 mix that with a 21 psi caps take the boil point to 286 degrees.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Is Rotella actually approved for use in Gen 3 EcoDiesel?
I checked Shell website. Didnā€™t have any oils for EcoDiesel they recommended.
Also couldnā€™t find any actual specs for the oil other than the typical we are better statements with numberless charts.
Rotella isn't approved for the Gen 3 engines. See the sticky for approved oil.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Rotella isn't approved for the Gen 3 engines. See the sticky for approved oil.
Seems dealer techs don't read the spec. I know, shocker, right?

So a lot of people have been getting Rotella done by the dealer. Seems to me to be grounds for a lawsuit should the emissions parts clog up from the extra soot...

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Just got home from visiting Bullet Proof Diesel. Great folks over there with a great deal of experience and capability. They spent an hour under the hood and under the vehicle photographing the engine, suspension, drivetrain layout. They have a very nice facility with plenty of R&D garage space as well as machining, fabrication, welding, and brazing capacity. To me, they look like the perfect sized organization to tackle this job, and I'm optimistic that they will be able to offer a solution for the JL and JT EcoDiesel application. They already offer EGR coolers for the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, though that engine, despite being a Gen 3, is configured in a substantially different way than our Jeeps.

Presently, I'm not sure when I'll hear back from them, but I was assured they would get back to me eventually. They had lots of ideas, but packaging a solution is the challenge.

UPDATE @ 5:30 PM:

I just received an email from the Bullet Proof Diesel GM . . .
"We are procuring parts and I will be back in touch with updates periodically. If you have any questions or if there is anything we can ever do for you, don't hesitate to reach out . . . "

Last edited:

Narb16

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl 80 anniversary
Just got home from visiting Bullet Proof Diesel. Great folks over there with a great deal of experience and capability. They spent an hour under the hood and under the vehicle photographing the engine, suspension, drivetrain layout. They have a very nice facility with plenty of R&D garage space as well as machining, fabrication, welding, and brazing capacity. To me, they look like the perfect sized organization to tackle this job, and I'm optimistic that they will be able to offer a solution for the JL and JT EcoDiesel application. They already offer EGR coolers for the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel, though that engine, despite being a Gen 3, is configured in a substantially different way than our Jeeps.

Presently, I'm not sure when I'll hear back from them, but I was assured they would get back to me eventually. They had lots of ideas, but packaging a solution is the challenge.

"We are procuring parts and I will be back in touch with updates periodically. If you have any questions or if there is anything we can ever do for you, don't hesitate to reach out . . . "
šŸ¤žšŸ¼ Letā€™s hope soon, got this thread on watch šŸ‘€! This is becoming a bigger headache. Especially since My jl is a rental car. Getting annoyed of complaints and bad reviews. Hoping that by doing an oil change will be my solution (doubt it).

Sponsored

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator

Did you ever hear any updates?

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
I spoke with them about a month ago . . . sometime in January '22. They are actively working through their ideas and trying to determine what will work best. The existing radiator is marginal for the diesel application . . . they would like to install a larger or at least a more efficient unit, but the necessary plumbing changes will probably make it cost prohibitive. The other idea they shared with me, and was discussed on my first visit was an auxiliary oil cooler, but again, plumbing adds complexity and cost. They want to bring an affordable solution to market.

They assured me that they are actively engaged in this project, but I got no information regarding their timing. I'm content to sit tight as there aren't any other vehicles that interest me at the moment (besides the new Nissan Z - but that merely scratches a different itch) and I enjoy the hell out of my rig as she currently sits.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Yea this is one of the reasons a lot of VW TDI owners ran dynamic EGR tunes...get the engine to temp quicker and then shut it off. Little did they know, the factory tune was doing much the same lol. That said, VW wasnā€™t using post-DPF exhaust gases and as far as I can tell, the blended 3.0 exhaust gases are significantly cooler than many older EGR systems used so the effect regarding engine warming is likely less.
if the EGR is post DPF, wouldnā€™t the gas temp increase significantly if a Regen was occurring and thus increase the chance to overheat during a Regen?

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
For those that are following this AND have experienced Derate, what mods do you have? I see a lot of talk of larger tires etc. I am 200 miles in to the ED and plan to pull 1000 lbs over the highest passes in CO. 1000 is nothing, but our elevation gets serious. I am not modding anything though.
Sponsored