Honest Feedback Requested 6 Speed Manul

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I use 6th, but only on the freeway above 70mph. If your running 79mph + it helps with the economy. So yeah, not for everybody. But I do get some use out of it.
I-95 north of Bangor has a 75MPH speed limit, and the Trans-Canada in New Brunswick is 110 km/h or 68 MPH, so 6th is useful there. Most of the time I'm on back roads going 60 or less so it's effectively a 5-speed. Though sometimes I put it in 6th on downhills just to feel like I'm getting some use out of it.
Sponsored

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I've noticed in 3rd gear at around 1500 rpm's my Jeep doesn't seem very smooth. The other gears are fine but for some reason 3rd gear just doesn't seem smooth. Anyone else experience something similar?

I'm taking it in for the recall and to have them look at some other things under warranty, is this something that would be covered?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I've noticed in 3rd gear at around 1500 rpm's my Jeep doesn't seem very smooth. The other gears are fine but for some reason 3rd gear just doesn't seem smooth. Anyone else experience something similar?

I'm taking it in for the recall and to have them look at some other things under warranty, is this something that would be covered?
You don't want to be in 3rd gear at 1500 RPMs. Stay in second. You want to hit 3rd gear closer to 2000 RPMs. For me that means shifting around 30-35mph generally.

This manual wants to be over 2,000 RPMs. It's happiest between 2,500 RPM and 3,500 RPM.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
You don't want to be in 3rd gear at 1500 RPMs. Stay in second. You want to hit 3rd gear closer to 2000 RPMs. For me that means shifting around 30-35mph generally.

This manual wants to be over 2,000 RPMs. It's happiest between 2,500 RPM and 3,500 RPM.
It seems to do it even closer to 2k. I know the engine prefers to be driven like an old turbo and other than about 1500-2200 in 3rd mine seems smooth

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I have no problems cruising at 1500 rpm in third gear or fourth gear.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I have no problems cruising at 1500 rpm in third gear or fourth gear.
Yes cruising of course. That's why these discussions are hard. We don't always shift the same way depending. There are also differences between Rubicons and other models. But by and large this manual will lug at 1500 RPMs.

iklln6

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Never leave first.
You're all doing it wrong.
Jeep likes to croll.
Need slower? 4L .

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Yes cruising of course. That's why these discussions are hard. We don't always shift the same way depending. There are also differences between Rubicons and other models. But by and large this manual will lug at 1500 RPMs.
Sure. I can also slowly accelerate up from 1500. It seems obvious (to me at least?) that if you need medium to fast acceleration you need to downshift.

That being said, my engine seems to rarely lug at low rpm. Maybe I got a good one?

eta: I’m running stock Sport S, so yeah, you’re probably correct that different setups are going to behave differently. I’m very happy with the way my setup behaves.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Once you get used to reving up 2nd gear a little more this transmission is great in my opinion.
As far as 5th and 6th, if the speed limits 50-55 I don’t even bother with 6th. I set my cruise (if the highway is open) for 68. At 65 limit I set my cruise for 74, use 6th and only downshift if I see my speed dropping back down in the 60’s.
I’ll say this, my family has a house in upstate NY. 3-4 hours from the city depending on traffic. When I used to go up in the 80’s with my 8 cylinder sports cars you had to fuel up for the ride home. With my 6 speed JL I can do a round trip on a tank of gas.

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door

I have had manual transmissions in all 6 jeeps and every car I have owned for the past 35 years. never lost a clutch (even on a car I raced). This beast however, makes me feel like a first time driver. I guess I will get used to it. I tribute it to a strange first gear ratio (Rubicon) and... what you notice with the engine - feels almost like a turbo lag, and is very touchy at certain rpms. I will either get used to it soon, or get used to it when I go to the larger tires (and perhaps that is what the drivetrain was optimized for?). I love the jeep.

Sponsored

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
People that drive them only on the street seem to think the manuals paired to this engine are fine. If you take it off road, that is when you realize they screwed it up . Torque Torque Torque .

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
People that drive them only on the street seem to think the manuals paired to this engine are fine. If you take it off road, that is when you realize they screwed it up . Torque Torque Torque .
And how would adding a higher geared transmission (the auto) move you in the right direction?

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The auto has a torque converter, which is a bit of a game changer as it allows the gutless minivan motor to rev and stay in the power band. New manual owners take a while to figure out that you gotta rev it to use it properly. I goose the throttle once before i take off in first. The motor is more like driving a corolla with big tires than an old school truck with good low rpm torque. Once you get used to that, it is fine

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I have had manual transmissions in all 6 jeeps and every car I have owned for the past 35 years. never lost a clutch (even on a car I raced). This beast however, makes me feel like a first time driver. I guess I will get used to it. I tribute it to a strange first gear ratio (Rubicon) and... what you notice with the engine - feels almost like a turbo lag, and is very touchy at certain rpms.
My Rubicon feels the same way. Experienced driver, but somehow I've stalled a few times.
The auto has a torque converter, which is a bit of a game changer as it allows the gutless minivan motor to rev and stay in the power band.
It's actually a great transmission, the best of both worlds.
Edit- I stand corrected, my wife's 2016 Pilot must use a different ZF trans that is the dual-clutch one.
Sponsored

Last edited: