Honest Feedback Requested 6 Speed Manul

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I have..... exactly zero issues with mine. 3rd gear is a bit tall but I just moved my shift point out a bit. As far as off road and the manual not having any torque, I have pointed this thing at anything and it has simply walked over it with no issue. Every jeep or truck has been manual for 40 yrs. I guess if I had to throw a negative out it would be the lack of the heavy pedal. The heavier pedal clutches in my past have driven a bit easier. I adjusted tho. 43565 miles in and a guess would be 10,000 + off road. Still in love

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have no complaints about mine at all....and certainly no complaint with the manual tranny. I think it is great and the super low first kinda negates the lack of low end torque of the motor. Wish it had a bit more juice between 1000 and 2000 rpm. Bit it is what it is. I still love my Rubicon. Im just addressing other people's complaints.

SilentSkut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently sans Jeep.
Occupation
Analysis-Paralysis Consultant, Alternator and Starter Expert
It's my understanding the auto is actually a dual clutch ZF transmission. No converter, per se. My wife's Honda Pilot has one. It's actually a great transmission, the best of both worlds.
It's not a dual clutch, but still a very good automatic.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The auto has a torque converter, which is a bit of a game changer as it allows the gutless minivan motor to rev and stay in the power band. New manual owners take a while to figure out that you gotta rev it to use it properly. I goose the throttle once before i take off in first. The motor is more like driving a corolla with big tires than an old school truck with good low rpm torque. Once you get used to that, it is fine
The torque converter stall speed isn't that high, and it locks pretty early on the zf's anyhow. You can launch a lot higher than the torque converter will stall (with the manual); and you're geared lower.

I agree that the engine makes power best above 2k, but I've yet to find it an issue. Especially in 4lo.

Last edited:

Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right...but by design, a torque converter separates the output of the engine and the input of the tranny gears with fluid...so it is simply like feathering the clutch with a higher revving motor to keep it in the sweet spot electronically. Im not talking drag racing here so i dont care about high stall speeds...but 500rpms makes a difference on the low end with this motor. Guys with the auto love it and i agree..the torqueflite is a great trans and pairs well with the 3.6. I have it in my 2019 Dodge Ram 1500.
The aisin is also a great trans....i like it a lot. As many have found, it just takes some getting used to. But with a little seat time, it is awesome. Every trans has a different feel.
I honestly dont need a v8 in this thing....i just wish they put a bigger 6 in it.
Probably wouldve been easier to lop off 2 from the 6.4 hemi than trying to shoehorn the 6.4 in. That wouldve yielded a 4.8 v6 with about 320lbs of torque...and they already have most of the parts and trannies that bolt right up.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I have..... exactly zero issues with mine. 3rd gear is a bit tall but I just moved my shift point out a bit. As far as off road and the manual not having any torque, I have pointed this thing at anything and it has simply walked over it with no issue. Every jeep or truck has been manual for 40 yrs. I guess if I had to throw a negative out it would be the lack of the heavy pedal. The heavier pedal clutches in my past have driven a bit easier. I adjusted tho. 43565 miles in and a guess would be 10,000 + off road. Still in love

I wouldn't trade mine for an auto but it is one of the more difficult transmissions to drive smoothly. My 3rd gear issue is strange, it's almost like the clutch is slipping or something. It just makes me worry a little when I see pictures of the shattered clutches.

As far as stalling it I have a few times but it seems like its usually in reverse. It's like I have to choose between riding the clutch the whole way, spinning the tires, or stalling it.

I think most of these issues will be cured over time as I get used to driving it. It is a really rewarding transmission to shift when you get it right and pick the right gear.

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
All it needs is a heavier flywheel , and a better tune . but it seems fca puts city mpg before off road capability . Wonder how the manual Broncos will be?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
All it needs is a heavier flywheel , and a better tune . but it seems fca puts city mpg before off road capability . Wonder how the manual Broncos will be?
Useless with ifs

haha..anyway my transmission feels pretty good with 5.13’s. Even with 37’s. I know the exact spot it catches and can sit in the sweet spot right before the light turns green.

jeepsity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 2003 tj
Useless with ifs

haha..anyway my transmission feels pretty good with 5.13’s. Even with 37’s. I know the exact spot it catches and can sit in the sweet spot right before the light turns green.
Yes the 5:13 are mandatory , compared to my 03 Rubicon there is still a lot of room for improvement ( off road) i realize the longer 4 litre stroke will win out ,but why not not give the 3.6 all the advantages they can? after all this is their flagship off road model .
Sponsored