6 Speed Manual performance difference?

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Cheby Colorado
Ideally, I'd love to see them mate the diesel with the 6MT, but I know that isn't going to happen because of the torque rating. I feel the 2nd best option would be a relatively small turbo to bump up the low end torque. Something that spools almost instantly, and and drags your torque curve to the left quite a bit. I'm not looking to win any races in this thing, so a bigass turbo that takes forever to spool would be nearly useless to me. A turbo would certainly make the engine much more jeep-friendly. Another option might be a twin-screw blower if there's room for it without chopping up the hood.

Here's what I'd love to see:
-Diesel or small turbo or twin-screw
-Keep 1st the way it is. I like a granny gear for offroading and traffic jams.
-Make 5th 1:1 and redistribute 2-4. Maybe make 2nd a little taller so 2nd gear starts could be easily do-able with the extra low end grunt.
-Obviously keep 6th OD. I think the ratio would be fine if the motor had some low end grunt.
-Make reverse taller. I have no need to go 35 mph in reverse.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
My $.02-

I have a manual 2-door JLR on 35s and I HATE 1st gear. I hated it when I had the stock 33s. It's mostly useless because it revs up but the Jeep doesn't really go anywhere. Note I am coming from a 300HP VW GTI which was a ROCKET but still my JL feels so slow. I knew I was getting a slower vehicle but I don't know if I will ever be used to it. Those that say the JLs have pep have maybe never driven a peppy vehicle.

6th gear is mostly useless as well. If I am already at speed (65+) then I use 6th to save fuel. Otherwise if I ever need to go faster or if I hit a hill, I have to go back to 4th (and sometimes 3rd). In 6th, there is NO passing\accelerating power. This was also the case when I had 33s.

Don't even get me started on the reverse gear... :headbang:

I've had my JL for about 4500 miles and I consistently get 20-MPG combined. I think this is only because I use 5th and 6th whenever I can to save on fuel, plus I don't drive like an asshole. I know my Jeep isn't a sports car so I don't try to drive it like one. ;)
What year was your GTI? I’m looking at getting a GTI and will be tuning it. To get 300hp, you were obviously tuned. Who did you use for tuning and did you have any clutch slippage like I’m reading on the VW forums? Seems like the clutch is not even up to the task to hold a stage 1 APR tune. Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate your insight.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
GTI stuff
I had a 2016 GTI SE. Got it when it was new. Within 2 weeks I had a Stage 1 APR Tune and dropped it with some H&R Sport springs. The clutch would only slip if I really hit it off the line or aggressively down-shifted into second. That's just too much power at those RPMs for the clutch. Otherwise, it was GLORIOUS. Stomping on the gas at 70 would rocket me to 100 with quickness, and merging power in second\third gear was also fantastic. I never lacked passing or accelerating power at speed. As long as I babied it a little off the line the clutch was fine.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a 2016 GTI SE. Got it when it was new. Within 2 weeks I had a Stage 1 APR Tune and dropped it with some H&R Sport springs. The clutch would only slip if I really hit it off the line or aggressively down-shifted into second. That's just too much power at those RPMs for the clutch. Otherwise, it was GLORIOUS. Stomping on the gas at 70 would rocket me to 100 with quickness, and merging power in second\third gear was also fantastic. I never lacked passing or accelerating power at speed. As long as I babied it a little off the line the clutch was fine.
Thanks for the quick reply! I’m trying to decide if I get a new GTI and a new Miata, or just a new Civic Type R. I’m almost 42, so it seems a little embarrassing to drive a Type R, but it was an incredible driving car.

To stay on focus, I’m also looking at getting a JLU to replace my totaled truck. Darn texting teenage drivers!

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
To stay on focus, I’m also looking at getting a JLU to replace my totaled truck. Darn texting teenage drivers!
Coming from the GTI, it's very different to be so high up in my JLR. One bad thing about that is I am able to glance into the windows of other vehicles, and I see SO MANY damn idiots on their phones while driving. It's a disgrace.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming from the GTI, it's very different to be so high up in my JLR. One bad thing about that is I am able to glance into the windows of other vehicles, and I see SO MANY damn idiots on their phones while driving. It's a disgrace.
Yep. I been hit twice on my district’s high school parking lot by texting teenage drivers. I’m a principal in my district and often go to the high school campus for meetings. The first was when my JKUW was hit by a texting driver. The driver’s father paid out of pocket because he didn’t want a texting and driving accident on his daughter’s record. The last one that happened about two months ago was also a texting teenager. She hit my truck so hard that she pushed it 15 feet. The police figured she was going about 35mph in the parking lot, while texting. Texting and driving is an epidemic. It’s as bad if not worse than drinking and driving.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks for the quick reply! I’m trying to decide if I get a new GTI and a new Miata, or just a new Civic Type R. I’m almost 42, so it seems a little embarrassing to drive a Type R, but it was an incredible driving car.

A jeep with a small trailer for the few times you need a truck is a pretty decent option. I bought a little aluminum trailer to pull behind our jeep, and it's so much nicer loading the dirt bikes in that as opposed to my pickup. Way more room and lower to the ground makes it easy for the kids to load/unload. And a trailer will hold much more than a pickup bed. Only downfall is the JL can't pull squat compared to most half ton pickups but oh well.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A jeep with a small trailer for the few times you need a truck is a pretty decent option. I bought a little aluminum trailer to pull behind our jeep, and it's so much nicer loading the dirt bikes in that as opposed to my pickup. Way more room and lower to the ground makes it easy for the kids to load/unload. And a trailer will hold much more than a pickup bed. Only downfall is the JL can't pull squat compared to most half ton pickups but oh well.
I was thinking this as well. I do a few artfairs a year. I was thinking about getting a small enclosed trailer. I could haul my paintings in the wrangler and my tent and panels in the trailer.

BacavilleJL

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator, 0rdered 2023 GC
Occupation
Maintenance Director
A couple questions I have concerning the 6 speed manual transmission.

There’s plenty of talk about how much more powerful the Wrangler feels in the Auto 8 speed configuration, but how about with the 6 speed? Less sluggish now?

And is there noticeably less accelerator pedal input to get going? The JK drive by wire system had you really pressing down on that accelerator to feel like you’re going somewhere with any kind of authority. Hoping there’s a noticeable difference there
The break-in time to 500 miles, the clutch is pretty stiff. After around 700 miles, it loosened up. It's a blast to drive with a 6 speed.
It does have some power compared the automatic.

joshrude

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
I’ve had two manual TJs and two manual JKs. I now have a manual JLUS. It is much a much smoother transition through the gears. Out of curiosity, when do people upshift? I tend to around 2500 RPM.
I shift around 3000 rpm
Sponsored