392scat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 challenger scat pack
x

Hi WIlliam - I had the same concerns re: sports car to Wrangler. I've only driven sports or sporty cars (except for a short stint with a responsible lackluster suv during my post divorce era). So for my mid-life crises, I figured that I already lived my life driving the mid-life crises cars, so why not try the Jeep? It's certainly NOT the same experience at all but I find that my smiles come from just being in the damn thing rather than punching the accelerator and throwing myself into the back seat. It's a different kind of fun and an equal fun - and that was very surprising. Whereas before, cornering on the mountain roads out to the beach (NorCal girl here) was fun like a rollercoster, now the unpredictable nature of Bay Area commute traffic is super interesting - hit those brakes hard and dip and roll has a WHOLE new meaning, jeese THAT was fun the first time :). Anyway - our experiences may be different, but I don't miss my cars at all. Now, when retirement comes along, I get to keep the Jeep and buy a mid engine Corvette (provided I can haul my tired ass out of it).
Haha! The new corvettes are bad ass! Right, I have an idea of what the Jeep can do so that’s where it comes from for me. I know what kind of fun I can have in it. My car is a blast but you can only drive like a maniac so much or accelerate so fast before you have to drive the same speed as everyone else. It’s a thrill but it does get old after awhile.
Sponsored

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I had plenty fast cars in my day. I now own a 2021 2Dr Rubicon with the 3.6L E-torque engine. (ITS QUICK) I’m in complete love with this Jeep! It’s so fun owning and driving a 2DR!!!

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I am familiar with the Rubicon mostly and only 4 door versions. If you ever need to tow anything a 4 door version is better for that. Plus you have more room for gear and people if going camping, hunting, etc...

One thing to note for towing a boat. You absolutely can easily get into deep water backing a lighter 2 door Jeep down a boat ramp with a decent size boat. What can happen is the ramp will be wet and the tires will loose grip while trying to stop after backing with the boat and trailer then into the water you go. Unlikely but has happened.

Rubicon, because they look cool and have several features that comes stock on them. I'm sure you already know that.

I could own a Bronco also with my Rubicon. But If you asked me to exchange my Rubicon for the best new Bronco available, I won't do it. Not because of price or any availability issues, I just simply enjoy my Rubicon with all it has to offer and even though it has some shortcomings too.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I think you'd be better served by a Bronco, if you can live until the next century.

I think you should find a way to rent a Jeep and see how much you like it. You might love it or hate it. For the kind of off-roading you seem to plan on doing a Honda CRV would do. So for you it comes to what you like and not truly capability. Jeep? Bronco? Yota? give them all a try, they are all awesome vehicles (at least on paper for the Bronco).

I am one of those "crazy people" who take their Jeep on rocks, and I don't even have a Rubicon. Keep in mind you can make your Jeep look however you want. It is really easy. You like how the rubicon looks? it takes minimal effort to convert any trim into that "look". Nothing wrong with buying a rubi off the bat though, specially if you really want it you'll regret it if you dont lol.

SlowPoke21

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Keep the 392 and the bronco that’s on order.

Or…

Keep the 392 and cancel the bronco order and get a 4dr rubicon (my vote)

Sponsored

OP
OP

392scat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you'd be better served by a Bronco, if you can live until the next century.

I think you should find a way to rent a Jeep and see how much you like it. You might love it or hate it. For the kind of off-roading you seem to plan on doing a Honda CRV would do. So for you it comes to what you like and not truly capability. Jeep? Bronco? Yota? give them all a try, they are all awesome vehicles (at least on paper for the Bronco).

I am one of those "crazy people" who take their Jeep on rocks, and I don't even have a Rubicon. Keep in mind you can make your Jeep look however you want. It is really easy. You like how the rubicon looks? it takes minimal effort to convert any trim into that "look". Nothing wrong with buying a rubi off the bat though, specially if you really want it you'll regret it if you dont lol.
Christ man! I’m a 36 year old married guy with no kids! A Rav 4? I’m not a Karen taking Timmy to soccer practice! 🤣🤣

lol either will work honestly, most SUVs would. What Jeep excels best at (rock climbing) will be really the only differentiating factor between the 2. I’ve driven a Squatch Bronco and it’s a very cool ride. Handles well, turns well, was great on a short dirt off road going 50. But you are correct, I suppose capability isn’t the best word to use. More capable than a challenger would be a more apt comparison. But nothing compares to a Jeep or the top off experience in it and that’s why people want it. So admittedly yes, I would not be using it to its full potential up front. That’s not to say I wouldn’t eventually, I just don’t have that interest right away. But that kinda rules out the 4 runner, which I honestly love too. But for me really only the Bronco and Wrangler are my choices. As far as the Rubi goes, I considered a Willys. But I liked that it looked good right away as opposed to having to buy and save to do it over time.

OP
OP

392scat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had plenty fast cars in my day. I now own a 2021 2Dr Rubicon with the 3.6L E-torque engine. (ITS QUICK) I’m in complete love with this Jeep! It’s so fun owning and driving a 2DR!!!
Going to test drive tomorrow I believe!

OP
OP

392scat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep the 392 and the bronco that’s on order.

Or…

Keep the 392 and cancel the bronco order and get a 4dr rubicon (my vote)
That’s how this started! I dragged my wife to a Jeep dealer and they had a 4XE Rubicon with leather. I FELL IN LOVE and told her let’s buy it, F the Bronco. She declined and then I went on this whirlwind path of 5 weeks of constant doubt and thinking about if I need my own. Then I got over it after 3 weeks and said I’d think about it. So I test drive the Bronco and loved that but Ford sucks so now I’m back to day dreaming about a convertible 4X4. I blame Ford, if the Bronco was here I might be able to cure this itch some.

Jeep Wrangler JL Honest feedback 1628294057605

OP
OP

392scat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am familiar with the Rubicon mostly and only 4 door versions. If you ever need to tow anything a 4 door version is better for that. Plus you have more room for gear and people if going camping, hunting, etc...

One thing to note for towing a boat. You absolutely can easily get into deep water backing a lighter 2 door Jeep down a boat ramp with a decent size boat. What can happen is the ramp will be wet and the tires will loose grip while trying to stop after backing with the boat and trailer then into the water you go. Unlikely but has happened.

Rubicon, because they look cool and have several features that comes stock on them. I'm sure you already know that.

I could own a Bronco also with my Rubicon. But If you asked me to exchange my Rubicon for the best new Bronco available, I won't do it. Not because of price or any availability issues, I just simply enjoy my Rubicon with all it has to offer and even though it has some shortcomings too.
Boats aren’t an issue! But a roof rack would come in handy in my life along with a little cargo space. That’s good you love your Jeep that much! But yep, the Rubicon has everything I need and more.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Glad I’m not the only one who struggled with this! You sound like a lot of the reasons I’m even considering this! I’m afraid of other drivers, I’m afraid of scratching or denting it. I baby it, I love it but it can be a bit of a headache to worry that much.
Absolutely!!! you have no idea how controlled you are by an object until you are rid of it. I really enjoyed the car but as I said the Jeep freed me of all of that nonsense. I enjoy my ride more and can see the country instead of from the main road now I can actually travel off the road through the fields, the beaches etc.... Mind you I still like to keep the rig clean and up to snuff but when it rains who cares ...when it's dirty who cares...I used to wash and wax the car twice a week, the jeep months go by! and she still makes me smile every time I get in.

Sponsored

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Hey everyone, new here, first post, I’ll try to keep it short.

I have a 2019 Challenger scat pack that I absolutely love. The issue is (no not kids, thank god) the car isn’t always the most practical. It can be unsafe in rain and completely unusable on .0000001” of snow, (woo torque) and because ECO is crap and I worry about using the MDS on the engine.

Some more background, we’re a 2 car background and I drive a work van 5 days a week. So I have put only 6K miles on my car in 2 years. I’ve considered getting a crap truck or something for the days I can’t drive it but I don’t know if I feel like doing that. I spend all week in a crap van, I like to enjoy the little leisure time I get in a nice car. So a second car would make my Challenger more of a garage queen than she already is. Anyways, the 392 is the perfect car for me but when I asked my wife it went something like, “75K Jeep? GTFO. Absolutelyfugginnot,” so that died a quick and brutal death. Been a Jeep fanboy since I was young, last Jeep I drove was an early 2000’s so it’s been a LONG time since I’ve even ridden in one. My wife is getting a 2036 Ford Bronco Badlands, if Ford can ever build it. It’s a surprise for her, 2 door, I think all the research I’ve done has brought back my Jeep passion from a kid. Then I went and saw a 4XE on a showroom and I’ve been obsessed for a month. I recently drove a Squatch Bronco and fell in love with it, but I’m nervous Ford is really dropping the ball already on 1 Bronco order. I had 2 orders already so I placed a 2nd to see what Ford could do but It’s a crap show right now. I think i’d be happy with the Bronco or the Wrangler, biggest issue is I REALLY like the recon Rubicon but it’s like 3K more than the Bronco and the Bronco is a 4 door, not a 2. So price comes into play some here, want to keep the cost lower.

So now I’m keyed into a non-recon Rubicon. More than I need but I don’t care, it looks good and has everything I could ever need. I’d like to start going up trails like I did with my friends as a teen. Plus if I’m making this move doing it when i can get 46K for my car is the right time. So here are my questions…

*Anyone else came from a sports car and regret having only a Jeep? I’d get the 2.0L as I heard the diesel isn’t the best.

*I’m a 2 door guy, any perks to the 4 door besides access for crib midgets?

*Issues/handling/reliability. You ask 10 people and you get 10 different answers.

*Am I an idiot for wanting 2 off road cars since we’ll only take 1 on the 1 day we got off together each week? Obviously we could take 2 camping but I don’t think we’d need to do that.

Any other thoughts, personal experiences etc? Also, I will not rock crawl like some of the psychos so I don’t think SFA is a huge concern here. Oh and 1 more thing, don’t be like the Bronco forum when you mention a Jeep. They’re both great, if you’re just going to call me stupid or bash the Bronco, stroll on by. Thanks.

TIA

-William
I was in the absolute same boat as you with slightly different circumstances. I had a 2019 Audi TTRS in Turbo Blue and I LOVED that car to death. I bought a Wrangler Sport S 2020 to tote my newborn grandson around and everything was hunky dory. Then, i injured my hip, suffered fractures to the femoral head and had a labrum tear, all of which meant a total hip replacement. I could no longer get in and out of the TT and i just recently sold it and the Jeep is now my daily. I dont mind though, i never realized what that Jeep would do for my soul. I absolutely love it. I decided to trade that in and get me a fully loaded Rubicon Recon Xtreme edition and ordered it from the factory with everything that makes me a happy camper! I dont regret selling my sports car because im onto better things with the Rubicon. I also got an absolutely fantastic price for the TT and im not looking back!

o||4xe||o

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
Actually, I'll make this even easier on you - 2021 order banks are closed, and the 2022 order banks don't open till ~October. So you have another ~2 months before the 2022 order guides come out and you can see actual costs + what additional trim/option combos are available.

2022 builds start in early December - you *might* get it by Christmas but more likely you'd be taking delivery in early-to-mid-January at this point.
Are you sure? Someone said they ordered today.
I placed a 4xe order today. I specifically asked the dealer and he said there was absolutely no mention of closing ordering banks in a recent National call.

Purely speculation on my part, but the recent unavailability of the 2.0 in some configurations, combined with the early July announcement that the 4xe was "sold out for 2021" makes me wonder if 2.0 engines are being pulled to support demand for the 4xe. That might also help explain the rapid price increases on the 4xe, which can be a method of slowing unexpectedly high demand (it's not always just a $ decision). Just a hunch.

MudHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon (Bright White)
I am in the process trading in my Camaro SS Convertible on a Rubicon 2-door. I seem to bounce between fast cars and off-road vehicles (never having time enough for 2 vehicles AND a motorcycle). I love my drop top, I really do. Even in SW Pennsylvania, my top is down from April to November (even with the heat blasting and coat on lol). When I want to go somewhere fast without slapping on a helmet and a set of leathers, it's a dream. But I realized that the Camaro (and the other muscle/sports cars I've had) is just isn't needed. Anywhere I can go fast, I can go as fast, close to as fast, or faster, on my bike (depends on the scenario, but overall they're comparable). No one in my life likes riding passenger in my SS unless I behave, which makes it less fun for me, OR the passengers who like to go fast would rather be driving so I'm usually driving alone. I ripped the pillion seat off of my bike the day I got it, I don't take passengers unless the wife feels like getting bugs in her teeth (never). Even with Cooper DSW tires, which make driving in the cold and snow kinda fun, the SS is still just not a practical car. Even when we move to Florida in a few years, the Jeep beats the SS for everything but sporty performance, and I have a motorcycle for that. I traded a super built up JKU for the Camaro, and came from a super built of Nissan Frontier (which I traded a super built turbo Eclipse in on), so who knows, I may trade the Rubicon in on something fast in three or four years.

I know that's no help, but what I can say is that for at least the first year, maybe two, and possibly three, the only time you're really going to miss the Challenger is when you drive angry on good roads. Everything else, in the Jeep will either feel like "hey, *%&# it :)" or "what do you think is up/down/over that /hill/stream/barrier/snowbank/mountain/mud pit?"

If you're not having fun in your Jeep, that's probably on you. They're made to do dumb stuff in, go find dumb stuff to do. Bring a friend to winch you out though. :)

OP
OP

392scat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely!!! you have no idea how controlled you are by an object until you are rid of it. I really enjoyed the car but as I said the Jeep freed me of all of that nonsense. I enjoy my ride more and can see the country instead of from the main road now I can actually travel off the road through the fields, the beaches etc.... Mind you I still like to keep the rig clean and up to snuff but when it rains who cares ...when it's dirty who cares...I used to wash and wax the car twice a week, the jeep months go by! and she still makes me smile every time I get in.
I have that feeling with my Challenger but when I look at a Jeep or drive the Bronco I felt something was missing in my life! As you said it’s the going off road and exploring that does it for you.

OP
OP

392scat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was in the absolute same boat as you with slightly different circumstances. I had a 2019 Audi TTRS in Turbo Blue and I LOVED that car to death. I bought a Wrangler Sport S 2020 to tote my newborn grandson around and everything was hunky dory. Then, i injured my hip, suffered fractures to the femoral head and had a labrum tear, all of which meant a total hip replacement. I could no longer get in and out of the TT and i just recently sold it and the Jeep is now my daily. I dont mind though, i never realized what that Jeep would do for my soul. I absolutely love it. I decided to trade that in and get me a fully loaded Rubicon Recon Xtreme edition and ordered it from the factory with everything that makes me a happy camper! I dont regret selling my sports car because im onto better things with the Rubicon. I also got an absolutely fantastic price for the TT and im not looking back!
Current circumstances make this an attractive offer. Being offered nearly 46K for a 48K car is definitely a factor. I’m glad that there’s so many that don’t feel like they regret their choice! Hope your hip feels better!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.